U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 PM

351 posts, read 552,192 times

Advertisements

The family and I are headed down for a day trip this week just for the heck of it. I'm thinking we'll do lunch anywhere from Wilmington to Calabash and then take the ferry from Southport to Ft. Fisher. Maybe wrap up the day at the aquarium and swing by Britt's for a few bags.

Anyway, where's a great lunch spot for the family? Preferably seafood but not an absolute necessity.

Its been a loooong time since we've been down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM

784 posts, read 1,634,126 times
Loco Jo's Bar and Grill, Southport - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

OR

Restaurant | Southport, NC

Both excellent lunch places for the family, the Yacht Basin Eatery is on the water..... Loco Joe's is not...... both are just five minutes or so from the Fort Fisher Ferry.

We go to Loco Joe's at least twice a week...... great chow ..... that's my preference but you cannot go wrong at either place !

Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,330,796 times
In Calabash, Ella's, lots of fried seafood.

Our favourites, offer outdoor seating on the ICW, Crab Catchers in Little River (just south of Calabash) or Sharkey's in Ocean Isle Beach.

Sounds like a fun day!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 PM

Perfect. Loco Jo's looks to be a great choice. Thanks so much.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
In Calabash, Ella's, lots of fried seafood.

Our favourites, offer outdoor seating on the ICW, Crab Catchers in Little River (just south of Calabash) or Sharkey's in Ocean Isle Beach.

Sounds like a fun day!
We've been to Ella's. It is really good.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
I highly recommend 'The Seafood Hut' in Calabash.
It where the locals go, if that tells you anything.

The seafood fresh and cooked just right.

You can see on trip advisor and Urban Spoon that this best place in Calabash.
Seafood Hut, Calabash - 60 Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
Calabash Seafood Hut - Calabash | Urbanspoon

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-12-2012 at 02:09 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM

14 posts, read 27,116 times
Grapevine is another great restaurant to try in Calabash.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:51 AM

18 posts, read 37,987 times
I would not recommend Yacht Basin Eatery for lunch or dinner. I went there with friends a few Saturday nights ago. While the location is beautiful the food was very sub par. Two of us had the calzone and stromboli. Giant puffs of dough with virtually nothing inside! It looked like a joke! We questioned the waitress who shrugged her shoulders and had no comment other than "that's the way the are" The house made mozzarella in the Caprese salad was very rubbery, difficult to cut and without any flavor. I also do not like that you cannot get a glass of tap water. Only bottled water for $1.25. The waitress said the tap was was "bad" Gee, I live in Southport and drink the tap water all the time. Tastes good to me! Wonder if they are cooking in bottled water or just using the "bad" tap water! On the other hand Loco Jo's is a much better choice. Enjoy your day!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM

431 posts, read 1,011,640 times
I just saw this and thought I'd share.

Calabash seafood tradition still cooking as diners flock in | StarNewsOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina