Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,991 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to the Wilmington area this summer and am currently looking online for a condo somewhere in the $150-185K range. I am looking at Magnolia Greens, Tideline Drive (in Leland) and Jumpin Run Drive in Wilmington. Would like a safe, professional, relatively quiet community not more than 20 minutes from NHRMC and a BONUS would be within 30 minutes of the beach.....any beach. Any advice out there on desirable neighborhoods/areas to with the above-listed parameters in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:17 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogfan View Post
Will be moving to the Wilmington area this summer... Any advice out there...
Plan to rent your first year. Some listings
Buy only after you have had time to look at your leisure.

hth

Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Will be moving to the Wilmington area this summer and am currently looking online for a condo somewhere in the $150-185K range. I am looking at Magnolia Greens, Tideline Drive (in Leland) and Jumpin Run Drive in Wilmington. Would like a safe, professional, relatively quiet community not more than 20 minutes from NHRMC and a BONUS would be within 30 minutes of the beach.....any beach. Any advice out there on desirable neighborhoods/areas to with the above-listed parameters in mind?
I can't imagine looking for a place to buy, online, without seeing the area first. Websites make everything look perfect, and cleverly disguise any "worrisome factors". Use sites to make a list, sure, but don't even think about buying until you've seen the whole area.

Better yet, as others suggest, plan to rent first, until you know the city, where you'll be working, etc, so you can move quickly if the area you pick turns out not to be what you thought. Take a few months to learn the city and you'll have much better judgment about where you end up buying.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Would like a safe, professional, relatively quiet community not more than 20 minutes from NHRMC and a BONUS would be within 30 minutes of the beach.....any beach.
Magnolia Greens is a very nice community, but check the travel time to NHRMC when you would be working. Some addresses may be a tad longer than 20 minutes.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Thank you all for the input. I failed to mention that I'll be flying down soon for a few days to look around with a broker at the places I've found online. She says that she cannot "recommend" or "deter" neighborhoods .... so I'm hoping for some online assistance that will save me from wasting my time going to areas that aren't "desirable." I REALLY don't want to move an entire house to a rental and then move again after becoming acclimated, so I'm hoping to find the "right" place when I come down for my "fly-by." I'm feeling lucky. :-)

Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM

I would personally think the Jumpin Run Drive location in Wilmington is much more attractive. It's a pretty nice area close to NHRMC. The place in Leland is in suburban sprawl, behind the Wal-mart parking lot.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-12-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 PM

Thank you, goldenage1 ..... that is exactly the feedback I'd hoped for. What a stroke of luck that I stumbled upon this website - told ya I was feeling lucky! ;-)

Old 06-14-2012, 07:12 AM

27 posts, read 64,739 times
We have been looking to buy in Wilmington for years, the prices finally became reasonable in our opinion so
we started looking seriously. We found it was much better to buy new and build compared to what was on the second hand market. I would look at this an option as well, there a lot of nicely priced developments north and south of the city. We ended up in the Myrtle grove area, very close to Carolina beach. We are moving permanently in a year or so. We ended up in a Stevens fine homes development, they seem well built and offered a good value in my opinion. It was our realtors idea to look at new. Good luck with your search!!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow.honda View Post
We found it was much better to buy new and build compared to what was on the second hand market.
That is a good idea also. I have seen "patio homes", town homes or duplexes in Compass Point and Brunswick Plantation in Leland that might suit the OP. Maybe a little further to drive, but the communities have a lot of recreational amenities that you wouldn't find in-town in Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina