U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 PM

5 posts, read 9,459 times

Advertisements

The townhomes at the Vineyard - outside Winterville are nice. 7 or 8 miles from Brody and DSS. As far as a Liberal church - Winterville Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) - is very liberal! Love it - unlike anything else I've ever experienced in Greenville - however they've just lost their pastor and are in transition - a more intellectual all accepting church - it fits with the social work beliefs - I should know I'm a medical sw.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 03:32 PM

11 posts, read 30,680 times
I live in Winterville and all of the above suggestions are great. I think you could possibly enjoy any of the above and they are all within 10 - 15 minutes of the hospital. I do not know much about the social services department but some of their offices are located near the hospital and others are located a few miles away depending on which department you work in. I work in the school system and also would love to show you any property you are interested in or help you in any way possible. Good luck...

Old 12-16-2008, 05:17 PM

23 posts, read 73,461 times
Hey There,

There are currently two social worker IA/T (Investigative Assessment and Treatment) positions at Pitt County Department of Social Services. You can view them on the Pitt County Government Website. I have fellow social workers who have worked there and they liked it...I guess it depends on you...can't speak about management but I do know that Investigative Assessors work very hard no matter where they are at. Well...all social workers work hard!! If you can put up with the stress then you will be okay. Also, Wilson County DSS has openings in investigations, permanency planning and I believe a supervisor position. I believe it would be a 25 or 30 minute commute from Greenville. Both agencies pay very well if you have the experience and you can negotiate your salary...I have worked in DSS, CPS for eight years and pay has come a LONG way!!!! Oh yeah...cost of living in Greenville is CHEAP. Good luck and if I can be of assitance let me know!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 21,806 times
How about the cost concerning power?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:41 AM

17 posts, read 49,835 times
Hi, I may be relocating to Greenville in June. I'm wondering about running/biking/hiking trails & groups. Do you know of any great places near Greenville/Winterville? Also, my husband sails. Are there any great places near by for sailing. What is the shopping like in Greenville or surrounding areas?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 AM

3,162 posts, read 5,692,745 times
How is Grady White boats doing in this economy? They are in Greenville correct?

Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,204 times
There is a relatively short greenway for running in Greenville...but another, larger greeway is under construction. There is a biking trail near Hwy 43 in the northwest part of town that is privately owned but takes donations for use. As for sailing, the Pamlico River is about 30 minutes away and the Neuse River is about 45 minutes away, both offer good sailing/boating opportunities. A lot of people around here have boats and that's what they like to do during the summer.For shopping, you have most of your basic big box stores such as Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. New Fresh Market just opened and is a really nice grocery store. There are lots of little specialty shops near the mall (I rarely go in).Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
How is Grady White boats doing in this economy? They are in Greenville correct?
Yes, they're here. They're hanging in there right now. I don't recall reading anything in the paper about layoffs or anything like that. The Greenville economy as a whole is actually weathering the recession pretty well with very few layoffs. Unemployment is a little high at 8% but when you have 25,000 college students looking for jobs it can be that way.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmed View Post
Hi, I may be relocating to Greenville in June. I'm wondering about running/biking/hiking trails & groups. Do you know of any great places near Greenville/Winterville? Also, my husband sails. Are there any great places near by for sailing. What is the shopping like in Greenville or surrounding areas?
Let me touch on the sailing first. There is a little town about an hour from Greenville call Oriental. It is the place in Carolina for sailboats. It's kinda like being on the Cheasapeake Bay if you know what I mean.

There are so many things to do in Greenville it's almost crazy that anyone would say there's nothing to do. In fact there's so many things to do I won't even try to list them here. Go to Pitt County, NC Leisure Activites (http://www.locateincarolina.com/leisure.aspx - broken link) for a complete list and we look forward to seeing you in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina