U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,713 times

Advertisements

I recently moved away from EI to Raleigh, however I may end up moving back. I lived in a furnished condo for 5 months and didn't have a water bill to pay. I'm not sure if my water was included in the rent or if the condominium had well water? Either way, the water was very hard. I cleaned the shower/tub at least once a week and there was so much mineral(?) buildup it looked like I hadn't cleaned it in a month. Once, the drain was clogged for two days until I could get some Drano to fix it and since the water drained out so slowly the bottom of the tub was coated in whatever yellowish/tan minerals were in the water. So my question is, does anyone know where the water on Emerald Isle comes from? Why is it so hard and what minerals are in it? If I move back I am for sure buying a water conditioner!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:43 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,511,492 times
I'm of the opinion that all of the Water in this region is pretty awful. I live in Jacksonville and have exactly the same problem. The 'hard water' build up in everything is far worse than I've experienced anywhere else. I have to clean my tubs and wash basins about two or three times a week to prevent them looking scummy- a task I only had to do once a week or every two weeks elsewhere. (I too get that scummy yellow/tan settling at the bottom of the tub).

As for the water draining slowly- this is a problem that I've experienced at every property I've lived in in Jacksonville over the past 4 years- I always assumed it had something to do with the minerals/hard water build up but was never sure. We definitely always have Drano on hand for particularly bad days though- we go through more Drano than I want to imagine!

As for what kind of minerals are in our water- I have no idea on the specifics. Hard Water in general usually has excess Carbon, Calcium and Magnesium though. I've heard that Hard Water is fairly common on the Atlantic Coast, presumably from where it is sourced (although I have no specifics- I would assume Emerald Isle was separately sourced from the mainland though).

Either way, a water softener / conditioner sounds like a good idea! I have never bothered as we are only renting and are thankfully relocating to the Midwest this year, but if you plan on living in Emerald Isle long term it would make life a lot easier that's for sure!

Good luck to you!

-Amber

P.S. Always used Filtered Water or Bottled Water in your Coffee Maker or Kettle- those also get awful hard water build up in them around here, if you use them frequently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina