U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 AM
LLN LLN started this thread
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,762,389 times
Reputation: 6451

Advertisements

With a military background, I have learned, and certainly believe, that respect is earned and not bestowed by title.

With this thought in mind, and after a recent "incident" between a family member and a NC Highway Patrol Trooper, my respect for this outfit is at an all time low.

I am the first to admit that walking up to a darkened car, at night, with no idea what awaits takes a lot bigger stones than I have, but other shenanigans by "troopers" leave me wondering.

Are these guys naturally rude, and obtuse, or does it come with the training?

Does their lack of common sense stem from wearing a pistol and a funny looking hat?

Is their tough guy image a front to hide other inadequacies, physical or mental?

I have never been impressed with or by the patrol, and recent news events over the last several years are certainly no reason to change ones mind about them. They just seem so unreasonable, so devoid of abstract thought or higher order concepts. Their view is so black and white, if their fines did not carry such outrageous costs, they would be comical, I suppose. They are very pedestrian, I guess is a good way to describe them

Don't get me wrong, I obey the laws but have a large degree of contempt for those that allegedly enforce them..the NC Highway Patrol.

Does anyone have anything positive to say about this group of gun toten, ill mannered, intellectual lightweights???

lln

 
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM
 
2,655 posts, read 6,098,511 times
Reputation: 3447
A couple of thoughts...First, I have never had a problem with the Highway Patrol. In my few interactions with them, they are always extremely professional and courteous. Not usually friendly so to speak, but courteous nonetheless. I know there have been some isolated issues with a few of them, but I have not experienced any problems myself nor do I know anyone who has. So the issues do not appear to be widespread, at least from my view.

Secondly, you said "respect is earned and not bestowed by title". I disagree. Anyone with a badge deserves to be respected. In most cases, you probably have never met the trooper who stopped you, so he has no chance to earn respect until he walks up to your vehicle. While I'm sure there are a few exceptions, I think most cases of troopers "disrespecting" people are brought on by their own behavior, usually some sort of feeling they are above the law and should not be asked to do whatever the trooper is asking them to do. If you follow their instructions and don't give them any lip, they should have no reason to disrespect you. They have a tough job, and there's little room for error. Anything other than complete cooperation gives them reason to think you may have bad intentions that could result in them or someone else being harmed.

Finally, you didn't give any details as to what happened with your family member, so we have little to go on here. You may be right that the trooper overstepped the boundary, but I think it's more likely that your family member brought it on by his/her actions. Even if the trooper did act inappropriately, that's hardly a basis to indict the entire force. Care to elaborate?
 
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,692,605 times
Reputation: 3808
Like any occupational group they have members that are better suited for some other type of employment, but they do seem to weed out the bad apples over time. I'm just thankful someone is willing to take the job considering their personal risk and work environment. Investigating highway accident carnage has to take a toll on their mental health.
 
Old 06-19-2012, 12:39 PM
LLN LLN started this thread
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,762,389 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Care to elaborate?
Not really, but briefly, my daughter was driving our new car and was stopped for having an expired sticker..we had not received it from dealer and had bill of sale to use as proof until sticker arrived. That was checked and was ok.

However, my daughter was wearing sunglasses, she was driving into sun, and not her prescription "regular" glasses. Cost me $290.

What gauls me is that they will charge me $290 in a nano second, but yet I see absolute fools speeding, weaving, and committing reckless acts daily.

I guess it is easier giving a 19 year old a $290 ticket for not wearing her prescription glasses, than it is to deal with idiots putting other's lives in danger. Actually, there is no question about it.

Again, most of these guys are simpletons, and with the amount of financial leverage they have over folks on the road, they ought to be a cut above, rather than several cuts below, average intelligence and more importantly, temperament.

By the way, your ass/u/mption about my family member doing something to precipitate stupidity was way off base. She is an excellent driver, with only this blemish on her driving record. You can apologize later. I am very very very tough on her, but she is a great young driver. And my standards are high!

lln
 
Old 06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
 
202 posts, read 300,888 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Not really, but briefly, my daughter was driving our new car and was stopped for having an expired sticker..we had not received it from dealer and had bill of sale to use as proof until sticker arrived. That was checked and was ok.

However, my daughter was wearing sunglasses, she was driving into sun, and not her prescription "regular" glasses. Cost me $290.

What gauls me is that they will charge me $290 in a nano second, but yet I see absolute fools speeding, weaving, and committing reckless acts daily.

I guess it is easier giving a 19 year old a $290 ticket for not wearing her prescription glasses, than it is to deal with idiots putting other's lives in danger. Actually, there is no question about it.

Again, most of these guys are simpletons, and with the amount of financial leverage they have over folks on the road, they ought to be a cut above, rather than several cuts below, average intelligence and more importantly, temperament.

By the way, your ass/u/mption about my family member doing something to precipitate stupidity was way off base. She is an excellent driver, with only this blemish on her driving record. You can apologize later. I am very very very tough on her, but she is a great young driver. And my standards are high!

lln
You do realize your assumption that most State Troopers are badly-tempered "simpletons" is just as off-base, don't you? It makes you look like a simpleton to base an entire group off of a few bad apples. I've never had any issues with State Troopers in Eastern NC. In fact, I personally know several of them and they are all smart, well-rounded guys. Half of the ones I know actually obtained a four-year degree before going to Highway Patrol School. I agree that a $290 ticket seems a bit harsh, but it sure did bring out the worst in you. Perhaps you should go cry to your lawyer instead. Maybe he can provide a little more assistance than what you'd get from the City-Data forum.

Last edited by SonofDixie; 06-19-2012 at 01:01 PM..
 
Old 06-19-2012, 12:55 PM
 
Location: White Plains, Maryland
460 posts, read 877,064 times
Reputation: 255
Yeah I would agree on all accounts.

That ticket for something so.. "petty" seems ridiculous. I know MANY cops that would never waste their time on something like that.. unless they were being blatantly disrespected.

I also agree it's unfair to categorize the whole "lot" of them - rather than the one who you dealt with.... but of course I'm sure any of us would be ticked off if we were in a similar situation.
 
Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
 
2,655 posts, read 6,098,511 times
Reputation: 3447
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
By the way, your ass/u/mption about my family member doing something to precipitate stupidity was way off base. She is an excellent driver, with only this blemish on her driving record. You can apologize later. I am very very very tough on her, but she is a great young driver. And my standards are high!

lln

Haha, that's a good one. You want me to apologize because your daughter violated the restriction on her drivers license and got busted for it? Like I said, usually a trooper being criticized is the result of the "victim's" behavior. Seems to be the case here. Your daughter should be apologizing for putting others in danger by driving without her glasses!
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
431 posts, read 1,012,976 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Not really, but briefly, my daughter was driving our new car and was stopped for having an expired sticker..we had not received it from dealer and had bill of sale to use as proof until sticker arrived. That was checked and was ok.

However, my daughter was wearing sunglasses, she was driving into sun, and not her prescription "regular" glasses. Cost me $290.

What gauls me is that they will charge me $290 in a nano second, but yet I see absolute fools speeding, weaving, and committing reckless acts daily.

I guess it is easier giving a 19 year old a $290 ticket for not wearing her prescription glasses, than it is to deal with idiots putting other's lives in danger. Actually, there is no question about it.

Again, most of these guys are simpletons, and with the amount of financial leverage they have over folks on the road, they ought to be a cut above, rather than several cuts below, average intelligence and more importantly, temperament.

By the way, your ass/u/mption about my family member doing something to precipitate stupidity was way off base. She is an excellent driver, with only this blemish on her driving record. You can apologize later. I am very very very tough on her, but she is a great young driver. And my standards are high!

lln
I'm sorry, LLN. It must have been a slow day if they ticketed her for that. Will that go on her record?
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
LLN LLN started this thread
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,762,389 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Haha, that's a good one. You want me to apologize because your daughter violated the restriction on her drivers license and got busted for it? Like I said, usually a trooper being criticized is the result of the "victim's" behavior. Seems to be the case here. Your daughter should be apologizing for putting others in danger by driving without her glasses!
Pitiful.
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
LLN LLN started this thread
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,762,389 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
You do realize your assumption that most State Troopers are badly-tempered "simpletons" is just as off-base, don't you? It makes you look like a simpleton to base an entire group off of a few bad apples. I've never had any issues with State Troopers in Eastern NC. In fact, I personally know several of them and they are all smart, well-rounded guys. Half of the ones I know actually obtained a four-year degree before going to Highway Patrol School. I agree that a $290 ticket seems a bit harsh, but it sure did bring out the worst in you. Perhaps you should go cry to your lawyer instead. Maybe he can provide a little more assistance than what you'd get from the City-Data forum.
I guess I have just met/interacted with the rotten apples. It is good to know that you have experience with some good guys. Maybe there is hope. Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top