U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM

14 posts, read 29,168 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate our family to North Carolina and we were looking into the New Bern area. We are a young family and we have viewed pictures online and like what we see. We were wondering if New Bern would be a good place for a young family or if there is some other city nearby that would be better? We love to be outdoors and have lots of activities available to do as a family. I was also curious if anyone knew if a career in Medical Office Administration and Machinist were in demand in this area. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaks View Post
I was also curious if anyone knew if a career in Medical Office Administration and Machinist were in demand in this area. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
New Bern is a very small town compared to other coastal cities. There are a couple of industries- Bosch makes dishwashers and the Hatteras Yacht company builds boats. Not sure if they need machinists.

Other places you might look for jobs are Wilmington, which has GE making some engine parts. Then the Morehead City, Beaufort area has some industry. Jacksonville has jobs depending on the military. Greenville is further inland but might have machinist jobs. Otherwise, the jobs are in retail or hospitality.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaks View Post
I was also curious if anyone knew if a career in Medical Office Administration and Machinist were in demand in this area.
I concentrated on the machinist opportunities because they would be harder to find than medical office. I did a quick search on Indeed.com for machinist jobs. There is also Spirit Aero in Kinston.

There is not a lot of industry in Eastern NC, and you may need to broaden your search. You might look at the posts by moderator SunnyKayak who puts up notes about major job additions.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-25-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM

107 posts, read 215,044 times
Frc east for machinist. Put resume in at usajobs.com

Old 06-26-2012, 04:48 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
There is a pretty good bit of medical in New Bern. We know lots of people in medical admin. The machinist, as stated above, should have a good shot at Cherry Point MCAS. In addition, there are a number of smaller machine shops in the area that support the big repair facility at Cherry Point.

We have many people moving to New Bern, and these are about the two best careers, job wise, that I have seen.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Thank you everyone for your input, we sure do appreciate it! Looks like we still have a lot of homework left to do yet, i'm just glad we are allowing ourselves enough time!!! Thanks again, and if you stumble across new information feel free to share

Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
You might give these folks a call, just ot get the lay of the land:

Ultra-Precision Machining in New Bern, NC | 303 Crescent St, New Bern, NC

Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Thank you LLN!! I will definitely have my husband give them a call today.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM
rdn

1 posts, read 1,458 times
Default Coastal N.C.

I have read so many negative posts regarding Eastern N.C. Things like driving through the coast, finding accute poverty stricken town after town, etc. My family & I were actually thinking about relocating to an ocean town, Atlantic Beach, Morehead City, Havelok, (sp). Can anyone give us some insight pertaining to this? We will be moving from the No. Ga. mountain area. Thanks so much. Also the crime areas?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post
I have read so many negative posts regarding Eastern N.C. Things like driving through the coast, finding accute poverty stricken town after town, etc. My family & I were actually thinking about relocating to an ocean town, Atlantic Beach, Morehead City, Havelok, (sp).
The poverty exists in the interior, and it goes hand-in-hand with crime in the small towns that have lost a source of income. There is also agribusiness like hog and turkey farming, that you would not want to live near.

However, if you have a job lined up in the locations you mentioned, you will find life pleasant. There is crime, naturally, but a lot of it is theft from empty vacation houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina