U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,593 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I plan on relocating to New Bern in the next year to be near family. We are Catholic and plan on enrolling our toddler in their Pre-k program. Any honest reviews on St. Paul's? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,593 times
Anyone?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM

47 posts, read 130,201 times
Default Good church

St. Paul's is a great church and the school has a lot of respect. My kids are a little older and in High Scool.

The community is kind. The school attends the Science Olympiad regionals and some of their students compete at the state level. That should say something about their quality in science.

There is no school choice here so if you might be thinking of putting your child into public school later, they will have to attend whatever school is assigned to where you live so be careful where you decide to reside.

As the story goes here, any of the Elementry schools that are the "B's" (Brinson,Bangert, etc) are good.(for public school) The only one that defies that rule is Creekside Elementry. Creekside has a great reputation as well. The caveat is, my opinion is formed from what I have heard from others.

When we moved here we got some bad advice about New Bern H.S. We were told there were 3000 students and there were "guns, drugs and gangs" there and one individual told me she would never let her child attend there... That was until the small private school her child attended closed... Her child graduated from New Bern High!

So, we put our kids in private school (not St. Paul's they are older) and are happy we did but now I laugh about NBHS being rough... I guess it is all relative to where you come from.

Lastly, there isn't much choice for Us Catholics in Coastal Carolina... St. Paul's and Annunciation in Havelock are the two closest. We went to both and let the kids decide on which parish. They decided on St. Paul's.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:48 PM
LLN

4,984 posts, read 8,778,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdiesel View Post
There is no school choice here so if you might be thinking of putting your child into public school later, they will have to attend whatever school is assigned to where you live so be careful where you decide to reside.
Actually, there is choice, some at least, in Craven County. Tucker Creek Middle School has A LOT OF out of district students.

I agree about the undeserved bad rep of NBHS, As I have posted many times, my children used to really scoff at me when I questioned them about all the bad things one hears about New Bern. If you stay out of trouble there, guess what, you stay out of trouble. We were told how bit the school was. Again, my daughters laughed when compared to where they had gone in Charlotte.

Both my daughters took all the Honors and most of the AP classes offered. My more academically inclined daughter could have gone anywhere in US that I could afford. She obviously got the school of her choice. My youngest was in about 4 clubs and played lacrosse and won a number of honors at Science Olympiads, too, that is until she was a junior, and too "cool" to do anything worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina