U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 02:20 AM

14 posts, read 19,580 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the area in a couple short months and looking for some input on where the nicer areas to live are. I am a nurse and will hopefully be working in Wilmington, and my BF is in the Navy and will be stationed at Camp LeJeune. We are looking for something middle class, clean, safe, and somewhat close to the basic necessities (a grocery store, beach, minor shopping). We definitely want to be in a home, no apartments or condos. Anyone have any suggestions for us?!

Thanks in advance!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 AM

11,469 posts, read 20,490,392 times
You are fortunate, as there is Hampstead and Surf City between your two workplaces. Many neighborhoods will suit your needs, but there is more shopping going towards Hampstead. Depending on whether you buy or rent and your budget, you might look at Dogwood Lakes, Olde Point, The Villages at Topsail Island, etc. My area in Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry is very nice. We have limited basic shopping, no doctor, but great seafood, and the beach is 3 miles away. Most of the residents are military families, and very friendly.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 AM

196 posts, read 510,149 times
Another possibility is to live ON Topsail Island close to the beach!! Positives are that, if you are buying, prices are low. Downside is that you might have difficulty selling when your boyfriend changes station. Another possibility would be to see if you can find a long term rental.

Just a thought. Otherwise Goldenage provides great suggestions.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys! We will be renting because we will only be there for a couple years. Looking to stay under $1500. I have looked at a few places on here and so far Hampstead and Holly ridge are the two sticking out in my mind.
I will definitely have to check out those other neighborhoods!!! We gave thought to being super close to the beach but we don't want to get washed away during hurricane season. We've done a pretty good job dodging them here in FL! LOL! How does the beach areas fare when storms come through? Are there and major flood areas that we need to be weary of?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyRN View Post
Are there and major flood areas that we need to be weary of?
As long as you are not directly on the beach or a creek, you should be OK from flooding. We evacuated last summer during the hurricane, and there was tree damage.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM

196 posts, read 510,149 times
Well we're retiring to Topsail Beach anywhere from two weeks to two years from now! Every place has potential disaster, been without power here in Maryland since Friday, so.....

If you are in Hampstead or Holly Ridge you can measure your drive to the beach in minutes.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
If you are in Hampstead or Holly Ridge you can measure your drive to the beach in minutes.
Im diggin the sound of that!!!! Wheres the closest shopping mall from the hampstead area?

Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyRN View Post
Wheres the closest shopping mall from the hampstead area?
There are strip shopping areas along Route 17 in Hampstead for groceries, hardware, etc. The big mall in Wilmington at Oleander and Independence has the department stores. There are also specialty stores like Talbot's in the Mayfaire Towne Center in Wilmington, and the usual Target and Wal-mart in Wilmington.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 AM

Ahhhh shopping within a reasonable distance. I think Im going to survive!! I looked into some of the neighborhoods that you recommended (Dogwood Lakes, Olde Point) and those are right up our alley! Im not finding a TON of places for rent in these areas though, but Im assuming if I were to do a drive through of the neighborhoods I would be able to find some "for rent" signs and property that isnt listed on the internet. Looks like a road trip is going to be in order!!

You guys have been so helpful, I greatly appreciate it!!! Im sure I will think of more questions so stay close by!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:27 AM

291 posts, read 777,091 times
The Neighborhoods of Belvedere might work well for you...when you visit, you might want to drive through there and look for signs for rentals. Good location for both of you, and you have stoplights at both Country Club and Sloop Point for easy access to Highway 17. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or