U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,636,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
Send her to the Marines. They will straighten her out. When I was in you got the test quite often.
If I had a daughter the marines would be the last place I'd send her.

Report: More sexual assaults at Camp Lejeune - U.S. - Stripes
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM

375 posts, read 803,191 times
i think the support network and access to aftercare as well as AA meetings and groups is much more important than finding a perfect town. It all comes back to those ppl, places & things - a change of location may be good, but you want to make sure she doesn't get so lonely she turns to drugs and so on. Addicts can find drugs wherever they live. There is no "safe" place. I'd just make sure her sponsor is in on the conversation and planning and that the community has plenty of support for her.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 PM

155 posts, read 202,050 times
does new bern have drugs and young people?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM

68 posts, read 93,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I honestly doubt it. You only have to read the local papers or 'area arrests' columns to realize that drugs seem rampant all over Coastal Carolina (and everywhere else) nowadays.

Studies have proven that generally speaking, drugs are more prevalent in communities with lower incomes and lower socio- economic status. Additionally, areas with poorly distributed income (ie: really rich families plus really poor families and lack or minimum of middle class) are even more likely to have drug problems.

Sadly, this second statement describes a lot of Eastern North Carolina.

My guess however, would be that the beach communities which mainly cater to retirees wouldn't have the level of drug problems found in the towns further inland. The higher age bracket associated with retirees, plus higher housing values I'd assume wouldn't cater as kindly to the local meth labs and pushers.

I'm not too sure about your allegation that the new crop of retirees won't have the drug stigma that seemingly is rampant in the youth. After all, I am one of those new retirees and... my generation was the one that venerated "sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll!........Well, Yeah, we have calmed down a bit, but....we ain't dead yet! AND, there is at least one theory that the noble weed helps calm down some of the symptoms of arthritis, I'll get back to ya on how truthful that theory is, perhaps you just get so high you forget about arthritis.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,818,592 times
From my life long off and on experience in ENC (mostly on) drugs will on;y affect you if you're involved with them . Dug activity and crimes are typically directly related to those involved in related activities. very easy to avoid. Except maybe in Greenville, Rocky Mount and Wilson (from the outside looking in)

Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM

116 posts, read 285,968 times
Yes New Bern has drug activity,,,,you get out of the newer and retirement communities and some rough areas of New Bern. As others have stated the low socio economic factors unfortunately also lead to more of the harder cheaper drugs like meth etc.... If you get out on the islands in dare county not so bad, mostly a tourist thing same if you head south into the topsail area. Morehead City, Beaufort, Newport area used to be pretty bad when I grew up in the 80s but it seem sto be once of the better areas to settle. But it doesn't matter where you go in teh country these days there is always going to be a drug element if you go looking for it. We live in Wayne County, could go to parts of Goldsboro that are pretty bad, but most parts of the county are fine,,,,,Probably only two or three towns I would avoid all together honestly based on the crime/drugs/schools issue.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:59 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,059,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeacock View Post
Yes New Bern has drug activity,,,,you get out of the newer and retirement communities and some rough areas of New Bern. As others have stated the low socio economic factors unfortunately also lead to more of the harder cheaper drugs like meth etc.... If you get out on the islands in dare county not so bad, mostly a tourist thing same if you head south into the topsail area. Morehead City, Beaufort, Newport area used to be pretty bad when I grew up in the 80s but it seem sto be once of the better areas to settle. But it doesn't matter where you go in teh country these days there is always going to be a drug element if you go looking for it. We live in Wayne County, could go to parts of Goldsboro that are pretty bad, but most parts of the county are fine,,,,,Probably only two or three towns I would avoid all together honestly based on the crime/drugs/schools issue.
you dont think its the other way around?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,818,592 times
In my experience, in most cases drugs are only a problem in ENC if you use drugs. There's no cultural pressure to use and is easily avoidable. At the same time it is also easily accessible. It all comes down to individual choice, though.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:34 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
Since I read this thread last week, and was kind of stung by the hopelessness some expressed about the drug scene in ENC, I have asked seven people I know the following.

"Do you run across drugs, or do drugs influence you in your day to day life?"

The people were from:

MHC 2
Oriental 2
Greenville 2
Swanquarter 1

Everyone answered NO to both questions. There are drugs here, as everywhere, but none of my contemporaries are affected by them, or dealers, or violence caused by them.

Oh, my answer from New Bern is NO as well.

Folks citing "drugs" in ENC for their problems or their phobias, need to "Look in the mirror." Period.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 AM

283 posts, read 453,196 times
I saw plenty of it in 3 years in Greenville.
But I worked at the emergency department. Otherwise, I never saw it during my day to day life. Including the downtown scene in Greenville, Washington, or Edenton.

There was a lot of meth in Johnson City, TN when I lived there. I never saw it either. Guess you just had to know people to get into it. I don't feel like I missed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina