U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM

452 posts, read 2,128,509 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to Brunswick County, just outside of Shallotte, and we had been planning to take our land and have a modular home built. I don't know if it's ok for me to list the manufacturer we had planned to go with, so I won't use the company name, it's a well known company that I always thought had a good rep. I've heard extremely good things about modular homes (true modular, not manufactured) and did some checking, and the bank we use finances them the same as stick built houses and I also found that they won't even be classed any different for insurance purposes..they're built with thicker boards, and basically the only other difference I have found is they are a little less per square foot, and they go up quicker than a stick built.

They don't necessarily save a whole LOT of money though as they can be a lot closer in cost to stick built if you don't use their basic packages, and to get a desirable home for us, we'd definitely choose a lot of upgrades. So the main reason we were going with a modular is time- to get a home up without the year or more it will take a stick built. We have to sell our current home before going ahead with building one, our home has had offers so that won't be a problem. But by the time we move and get temporary housing and can start building, we then don't want to have to wait another additional year.

But now we've heard some complaints about problems with modular homes, specifically in Brunswick county. Of course, we hear of things going wrong with stick builders as well. But I have heard 2-3 horror stories just recently specifically about the same modular dealer, and I don't know if it has anything to do with the overall company or it's just a rogue salesman, or what. It's made me nervous. I don't want to go with a modular to save time and then have problems with the foundation, the house settling more than it should, the windows leaking, and things like that. We had planned to get a 2-story with loft, so that's 3 stories of potential problem.

Just wondering, is there anything we can do from the start to have a modular done right, or should we go with stick built, which in itself can have the same types of problems? Does anyone have any experience with builders of either in this particular county (Brunswick)? We'd still prefer the supposed convenience and speed of a modular. But that's with a guaranteed "good" builder who will do a good job.

If anyone wants to know, several of the bad things we have heard have been problems that come up with a certian builder to where he doesn't even end up getting their home TO their lot, and the process breaks down before the home is even ready to move into. Other than that I heard of a foundation not being properly set. The other thing I know has happened recently is with a stick built home that's absolutely gorgeous but has had to have its windows replaced sevral times over, they continue to leak. We don't need this, how can I prevent it? We have 2 acres so don't want to go buy a preexisting home...we are definitely going to use our lot, it's nice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 PM

37,034 posts, read 16,141,015 times
You nailed your concern right on the head. Any construction is only as good as the local General Contractor. I lived in a modular house for 32 years. Unless I told someone it was a modular, they had no idea. It was built in PA. Because it was sold in NY, Ohio and MD, as well as PA, all building codes were incorporated into all houses. In a factory it is easier to make them all same.

I have just settled on our "new" house (built in 2000) and it is also a Modular.

Don't let anyone tell you the are inferior to stick built. Having been involved in many home construction projects I can tel you there is much more control in the building of a modular in a factory where everything is subject to strict quality control.

There are many "reputable" manufacturers around the area.

Check out the builder and get references from as many people that he has built for as you feel comfortable. Do not go by hear say. Get your info right from the buyers.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina