U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 03:10 PM

452 posts, read 2,128,286 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Brunswick County, where his family owns a lot of land. In the short term, it's very convenient to be there and such a nice areas, or rather , a lot of nice areas. Property is going sky high though, as even though we didn't have to worry about *getting* our land, I seriously worry about what it's going to go to in the future, as far as taxes and tax value. There are acres of land that would have been $15,000 an acre 5 or so years ago that are now up to $100,000 an acre. We still have about 20 more years to work before retiring but it makes me seriously wonder WHAT it will be like to retire in Brunswick County 10, 20 years from now. Not to mention, I wonder how much more this land can continue to skyrocket. Higher value = higher taxes. And they keep going up and away.

We are saving as much as we can for retirement in 20 years, so we won't be in a position to retire and find we can't afford to remain here. Discuss? I hear from people who plan to retire here that they wish they had bought their land years ago due to the explosion.

Another thing I notice is that Brunswick County is definitely growing but to an extent, it has been much slower than it could be by far. Look at Shallotte and the surrounding area, I still find the county lacks a lot as far as shopping and big chain restaurants. I'm moving from an area that has exploded in the last 10 years to having Concord Mills and an influx of shopping and restaurants- 10 years ago there was no Bed Bath and Beyond, Linen and Things, Kohls, and just all these standalone stores. Not to mention the restaurants! Contrast this to Shallotte, it was a big deal in Shallotte to get the Wal-mart and Chili's and a few other places. But you DON'T see all these new restaurants and stores piling in like I would have expected. I hear that in some cases it's tough for them to get their building permits and all that stuff. I believe the McDonald's nearby doesn't have city sewer hooked up still. So it's things like that, sewer service and getting built, that's probab;y slowing down the big business boom but one day I fear the flood gates will open and Shallotte will be another North Myrtle Beach. Another thing I'm grateful for, they aren't putting up a whole lot of high rise hotels in this area, you CAN'T at Sunset Beach, so as long as that holds, it won't turn into what's happened at North Myrtle Beach. I remember when NMB was the area to be if you wanted to avoid the hubbub of Myrtle. Last time I was there it's pretty crowded and traffic has tripled yearround. This at least can't happen as quickly in Brunswick Co...but I do worry about what happens in 10-20 years.

Care to discuss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 03:33 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,684,232 times
Brunswick County's population is growing around 5% per year on the average. I expect that to continue, if not accelerate with the relocation of baby boomer retiring from the DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia/New York/Boston metropolitan employment corridor.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-30-2007 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 06:28 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,647,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
My husband and I are relocating to Brunswick County, where his family owns a lot of land. In the short term, it's very convenient to be there and such a nice areas, or rather , a lot of nice areas. Property is going sky high though, as even though we didn't have to worry about *getting* our land, I seriously worry about what it's going to go to in the future, as far as taxes and tax value. There are acres of land that would have been $15,000 an acre 5 or so years ago that are now up to $100,000 an acre. We still have about 20 more years to work before retiring but it makes me seriously wonder WHAT it will be like to retire in Brunswick County 10, 20 years from now. Not to mention, I wonder how much more this land can continue to skyrocket. Higher value = higher taxes. And they keep going up and away.

We are saving as much as we can for retirement in 20 years, so we won't be in a position to retire and find we can't afford to remain here. Discuss? I hear from people who plan to retire here that they wish they had bought their land years ago due to the explosion.

Another thing I notice is that Brunswick County is definitely growing but to an extent, it has been much slower than it could be by far. Look at Shallotte and the surrounding area, I still find the county lacks a lot as far as shopping and big chain restaurants. I'm moving from an area that has exploded in the last 10 years to having Concord Mills and an influx of shopping and restaurants- 10 years ago there was no Bed Bath and Beyond, Linen and Things, Kohls, and just all these standalone stores. Not to mention the restaurants! Contrast this to Shallotte, it was a big deal in Shallotte to get the Wal-mart and Chili's and a few other places. But you DON'T see all these new restaurants and stores piling in like I would have expected. I hear that in some cases it's tough for them to get their building permits and all that stuff. I believe the McDonald's nearby doesn't have city sewer hooked up still. So it's things like that, sewer service and getting built, that's probab;y slowing down the big business boom but one day I fear the flood gates will open and Shallotte will be another North Myrtle Beach. Another thing I'm grateful for, they aren't putting up a whole lot of high rise hotels in this area, you CAN'T at Sunset Beach, so as long as that holds, it won't turn into what's happened at North Myrtle Beach. I remember when NMB was the area to be if you wanted to avoid the hubbub of Myrtle. Last time I was there it's pretty crowded and traffic has tripled yearround. This at least can't happen as quickly in Brunswick Co...but I do worry about what happens in 10-20 years.

Care to discuss?

I think Brunswick will explode but I doubt it will be another Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach has lots of attractions that draw people. I love living in Myrtle Beach. I believe Brunswick will be mainly attract baby boomers looking to retire.

Shallotte is starting to come around, it has a Bath and Body and a Belk

Old 09-30-2007, 07:02 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,340,852 times
BlueLily- We just returned from Calabash NC yesterday and we, too, wonder about all these things.
We bought a lot in Sunset Beach (mainland) three years ago. In that time our Brunswick Co. taxes have gone from $125.00 to $700.00/year. We have electric and sewer-no structure, (a subdivision size lot-small). A sizable jump! So that is of concern!
We were there last May and I did the Myrtle/N. Myrtle tour, could not believe the construction on Ocean Dr. Cranes everywhere!! I think Barefoot Landing has built out to the 31 bypass!
This time, I did the Brunswick Co. tour and I found the landscape to be completely different from N. Myrtle. Firstly, I don't think they can build any high rises on Sunset, Holden or Ocean Isle Beaches and of course, Bird Island is protected. So those beaches will probably stay like Pawley's Island (south of Myrtle) all residential.
It also occurred to me that Hwy 17 (business) in Brunswick Co. is further from the beach than it is in Myrtle and N. Myrtle, so the traffic is much lighter.

I met a ton of folks there, this time, who thought nothing about paying $200,000 for a piece of Brunswick So, my feeble experience is that there is an interest in this county.
Surely, services follow money.
It might take some time, Shallotte is still smallish and rural but they do have a Chili's, Home Depot, Lowes (the hardware store) and WalMart. There is a brand new Piggly Wiggly in Sunset Beach-they have a Star Bucks

We plan to retire in 10+ years and I don't have a clue what that area will look like! But, I plan to check it out a couple of times a year!
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how well the County handles the growth. There is always the option of selling the property!!
In the mean time, enjoy the beach, the golf and the shopping in Wilmington and Myrtle!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 PM

56 posts, read 196,423 times
We own a home, ocean front, in Brunswick county. I think Shallotte is perfect just as it is. I personally don't want all those shops and restaurants in Shallotte. I try not to even go to Shallotte when I am down there. Property value is holding steady in a down market, that is why taxes are up, and buying at the coast always presents its share of risk. I would sell if you are worried about the growth being slow. I just know from some other folks we rather pay higher taxes than go to Shallotte to go shopping.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 AM

11 posts, read 34,299 times
I have a home in Ocean Isle Beach Brunswick County North Carolina and I can tell anyone that Brunswick County is no bargain.
Most everything is more expensive than Brunswick County specialty food in places like Lowell supermarket and others. The wind and hail insurance has just been increased by 30% I now pay $2000 a year just for wind and hail insurance. Brunswick County is expanding their sewer service and that will cost every individual a minimum of $60 a month if you use water or not. You can expect water bills to be in excess of $100 per month without any problem. Electrical costs in Brunswick County also extremely high you can expect bills of $200 a month with no problem. Average living expenses in Brunswick County with utilities and other expenses and is at least $500 a month. I also own a home in low in New York State and I can tell you it is much less expensive in New York than it is in North Carolina. North Carolina has priced themselves out of the market. The state now is a deficit of over $8 billion. Which is being passed on to the taxpayers.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Unhappy Brunswick County Is No Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
BlueLily- We just returned from Calabash NC yesterday and we, too, wonder about all these things.
We bought a lot in Sunset Beach (mainland) three years ago. In that time our Brunswick Co. taxes have gone from $125.00 to $700.00/year. We have electric and sewer-no structure, (a subdivision size lot-small). A sizable jump! So that is of concern!
We were there last May and I did the Myrtle/N. Myrtle tour, could not believe the construction on Ocean Dr. Cranes everywhere!! I think Barefoot Landing has built out to the 31 bypass!
This time, I did the Brunswick Co. tour and I found the landscape to be completely different from N. Myrtle. Firstly, I don't think they can build any high rises on Sunset, Holden or Ocean Isle Beaches and of course, Bird Island is protected. So those beaches will probably stay like Pawley's Island (south of Myrtle) all residential.
It also occurred to me that Hwy 17 (business) in Brunswick Co. is further from the beach than it is in Myrtle and N. Myrtle, so the traffic is much lighter.

I met a ton of folks there, this time, who thought nothing about paying $200,000 for a piece of Brunswick:eek: So, my feeble experience is that there is an interest in this county.
Surely, services follow money.
It might take some time, Shallotte is still smallish and rural but they do have a Chili's, Home Depot, Lowes (the hardware store) and WalMart. There is a brand new Piggly Wiggly in Sunset Beach-they have a Star Bucks:D

We plan to retire in 10+ years and I don't have a clue what that area will look like! But, I plan to check it out a couple of times a year!
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how well the County handles the growth. There is always the option of selling the property!!
In the mean time, enjoy the beach, the golf and the shopping in Wilmington and Myrtle!!!:)
I have a home in Ocean Isle Beach Brunswick County North Carolina and I can tell anyone that Brunswick County is no bargain.
Most everything is more expensive than Brunswick County specialty food in places like Lowell supermarket and others. The wind and hail insurance has just been increased by 30% I now pay $2000 a year just for wind and hail insurance. Brunswick County is expanding their sewer service and that will cost every individual a minimum of $60 a month if you use water or not. You can expect water bills to be in excess of $100 per month without any problem. Electrical costs in Brunswick County also extremely high you can expect bills of $200 a month with no problem. Average living expenses in Brunswick County with utilities and other expenses and is at least $500 a month. I also own a home in low in New York State and I can tell you it is much less expensive in New York than it is in North Carolina. North Carolina has priced themselves out of the market. The state now is a deficit of over $8 billion. Which is being passed on to the taxpayers.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I think Brunswick will explode but I doubt it will be another Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach has lots of attractions that draw people. I love living in Myrtle Beach. I believe Brunswick will be mainly attract baby boomers looking to retire.

Shallotte is starting to come around, it has a Bath and Body and a Belk

Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post

Care to discuss?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:28 PM

572 posts, read 1,408,946 times
I think we got it the first 3 times you posted. By the way you're quoting and commenting on posts that were made back in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina