U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 AM

38 posts, read 73,450 times

Advertisements

My mom is looking to relocate to be closer to us. She has always dreamed of living on or near the water. We live in Holly Springs, so areas under a two hour drive are preferable. She is 57 and is looking for a family friendly area. Nothing overly young, but not a 55+ type community either. She works, but can do so remotely. She would really an area with things to do. If you have realtor suggestions please message me. Thanks so much :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,940,511 times
Does she want to be oceanfront or just near the beach? Topsail is my favorite beach around here but if I wanted to be closer to amenities I'd probably just live somewhere in Wilmington. Also she'll want to keep in mind if on the water means on the ocean she can expect some hefty hurricane insurance!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 AM

She's open to either. I think she's a bit nervous about being right on the beach to be hones, but it is appealing at the same time. Topsail is a place someone else has suggested. Do you how far that is from the holly springs area?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,940,511 times
Usually takes me a little over two hours from Cary to get to Topsail.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM

Why was this moved? I wan to know where people from the RTP area go to the beach. Is this a violation? Why would inquire where people who live at the beach spend their time? I'm looking for places on the coast yes, but tthat decision will be based on their proximity to Holly Springs. Thanks :-)

Old 07-18-2012, 11:36 AM

364 posts, read 553,689 times
It was probably moved because it seemed you wanted to know good places to live near the beach, not where to visit, so it would make sense to ask those of us who live here. If you want to know which beaches are most accessible from Holly Springs, that's a different question. I've retired to live on Topsail Island, in Surf City. I chose to live here rather than in Holly Ridge or Hampstead because even if you're only a mile away from the beach, life happens, and how often do you actually make it out here? I walk my dogs along the beach twice a day and have been trying to make it a habit lately to get out for a swim and some sun after my bike ride most days. You'll pay more for the location and insurance is expensive, but I think it's worth it. I live in a townhouse community where the insurance is paid through the HOA, and we can get a pretty good deal on it. I prefer Surf City for a permanent home to Topsail Beach because it's more convenient for shopping, doctor visits, my art classes, events in Wilmington, etc. I don't have to drive all the way down the island for every errand.

Last edited by Johanna25; 07-18-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina