U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:46 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,755,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCoastHost View Post
I lived around New Bern for about 15 years, we moved because of the schools, best schools around are in western Carteret county and in swansboro nc....topsail schools arw supposed to be good, and some schools in Jacksonville ae good in my book. Just depends on what you want. One child of mine needed special needs classes and we found the best in Carteret county schools...
The best school around here by far is Tucker Creek Middle School in Havelock.

Here is the link to the NC Schools report card. I suggest you look for how many middle schoolers are taking algebra, the growth in math and reading over time, and look at the high schools to see how much AP is going on. Test scores along dont tell the story, but the metrics I have provided you will give a good overall picture.

NC School Report Cards

Having said that, and having lived in a number of areas along the coast, if I was "going coastal" Crystal Coast, hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM

107 posts, read 215,290 times
Croatan high is the BEST high school around. And was number 2 in the state for academics, and Broad Creek Middle School is its only feeder schohol....I had two attend Tucker Creek, but after that your choice is a hardsell. Reason we moved to Carteret County. But to each his own...

Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,755,254 times
I am sure Croatan is fine, but I would be concerned about the low % of students enrolled in Advanced Placement (AP) courses. Those are the courses that get you in to upper tier universities.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 AM

48 posts, read 90,451 times
I've researched schools in the past and found publicschoolreview and greatschools to be decent resources for learning a new area/school district. However at the hyperlocal level there may be a more comprehensive school rating website that has test scores for every grade and subject and lists of SAT scores, etc. I'd post the example to N VA but I'm afraid if posting websites is against rules.

I will say this though, we just moved to Wilmington from Northern Virginia and our family is having a blast. There are tons of families at the beaches and in some areas such as Wrightsville Beach it seems very local--non tourists that populate the beach. Plus you have a lot of golf courses, tennis courts, parks, etc.

The most "sought after" school district here for elementary is Parsley Elementary. And there are also year round schools that one can get into on lottery.

I've got a surboard on the van and that says it all.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:23 AM

291 posts, read 766,750 times
I think if you love the Wilmington area, but want a slower pace of life and more of a rural feel, you should definitely take a close look at Hampstead and the Topsail area schools. Sounds like it would suit you and your family perfectly! Good luck with your relocation!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM

42 posts, read 64,303 times
What about hurricanes?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,871,489 times
Which kind? The drink or the storm?

We've got 'em both.

No storms this year so far...

Likely plenty of hurricanes consumed, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina