U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 AM

29 posts, read 34,216 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My wife and I are looking around both Southport and Morehead city for a place to settle in and retire.

We feel a retirement community would afford us the activities and relationships we'd like to have.

Communities with golf facilities add too much $ in HOA fees.

Has anyone seen any nice 55 plus communities without an onsite golfcourse?

thanks and be well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,330,796 times
Tomm- I am more familiar with Ocean Isle/Sunset Beach area but did talk to the folks at Plantation Properties. They developed St. James Plantation in Southport. That is a golf community but I think they have other developments going on.
You can web search www.livesouth (broken link) and type in NC and the Coastal area. You will find quite a few retirement communities.
We also talked to the folks at Remax at the beach, they have a lot of listings. In fact, I still get e mail updates from them.
We ended up dealing with Coastal Communities.

Well.....at least it's a start

Good luck with your search

Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,445 times
Smile A couple of suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm112233 View Post
Hello all,
My wife and I are looking around both Southport and Morehead city for a place to settle in and retire.

We feel a retirement community would afford us the activities and relationships we'd like to have.

thanks and be well....
You might try Villages at Swansboro, it is definitely over 55.

There are a lot of communities in the Cape Carteret area which are not golf communities. While they don't specifiy over 55, very few people under 55 are in the communities.

If you are not looking for water access, housing is less expensive.

I would be glad to answer more of your questions.

You can check my website for general area information.

Southern Outer Banks

I would be happy to talk to you over the phone or by email.

-David Sobotta

Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 AM

29 posts, read 34,216 times
Thanks so much for your kind and helpfull replies.

We've sent for some information packets and are eagerly awaiting them.

The Villages looks very nice and the whole Cape Carteret area is so beautiful.

ps: David, thanks for the photos you often post, they keep me motivated.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,139,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm112233 View Post
Hello all,

thanks and be well....
check out Southport Oak Island North Carolina Chamber of Commerce..... There a quite alot of community here but not sure if any of them are for just 55 years and older. We have community that are families but mostly 55 years and older.If you prefer just 55 years and old. Call the Chamber of commerce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina