U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM

22 posts, read 38,573 times

Advertisements

So I just graduated from ECU in May, working in my first professional job, been looking for a decent place to live. Apartment living sucks (currently living at one) so I've ruled those out, and almost every duplex or townhouse I've been to is crappy. Houses are too expensive, $900+. Decent places (in non hood) areas are $600-700+ and even those aren't all that. Undesirable neighbors, run-down condition, etc.

Do students/professionals really not give a crap about where they live? I've finally found 3 or 4 places that seem to be worth it (space, price, neighborhood etc) but it's been frustrating, and there's no guarantee of being approved by these rental management companies. What is the deal? I know rents across the country are high but this is borderline ridiculous. It's almost like Greenville is made for roommates, which is the only way I can see justifying charging the prices I've seen for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM

978 posts, read 1,625,956 times
When I lived in Greenville, I had a 1br apartment in a safe area with a few amentities for around $400/month. There are several nice complexes off Firetower (and Meridian Park on Arlington) which are somewhat pricey, but don't like to house students. In fact, many of these places require that you be 21 years old.

Also, I think you are expecting a little too much. My $400/month apartment in Greenville would have been over $600/month in Raleigh. Greenville rent prices are dirt cheap compared to other areas of the state. However, it does seem that most students don't give a crap about where they live.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:08 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,074,339 times
what? greenville housing is uber cheap. my boyfriend is trying to get his 3bdrm house rented for 650-700. that being said, few areas in greenville in general are "nice" and i doubt there is a significant young professional population given that there are so few professional jobs in the area. you're going to find either students, slackers, or families so the market for nicer rental housing is likely nonexistent.

for reference, i live in an area where the cost of living is "average" and your typical one bedroom apartment goes for $800. i don't think you could rent a house here for less than $1200.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:17 PM

I guess I am expecting too much, I did just get my first job lol $$$ is a thing for me. Things just seem expensive for a 'city' with just ECU and Vidant to anchor it. and even paying higher prices, there were a lot of places I looked at that are in crappy/hood/undesirable areas.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM

451 posts, read 1,690,035 times
I agree with the other posters - Greenville is relatively cheap real estate wise. However, with the numbers you have presented, you could probably buy a small townhouse or duplex for the same payment as the rents.

I had a three bedroom townhouse at Dudley's Grant about five years ago and the mortgage was about $550 per month. However, if I were to rent the same place, it would be at least $800.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM

77 posts, read 130,806 times
It's more expensive than you'd think, considering this is basically a rural area with limited amenities. When we moved to the area in June 2009, we (me + expecting wife) were rather surprised at the cost of renting a detached, single-family 3 bedroom house in a Greenville neighborhood that wasn't old/rundown/trashy: there's not a whole lot of choice and it's like $1200/month. We ended up buying in Ayden instead for monthly mortgage of $800ish, because having more shared wall(s) was no longer palatable to us. Agree that there is not a lot of nice options for one-income households in Greenville.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 AM

wow...back to the housing search. Found a good place but there was so much red tape with the application process that it was infuriating .

cheaper places, high crime. more expensive places, bs property management it seems. way to go Greenville.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,456 times
"What is the deal with housing in Greenville? I mean, these landlords with their god complexes. And the rent? What is this, Park Avenue all of the sudden? Come on, really...Who are these people?"

Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM

33 posts, read 57,345 times
You are seriously expecting way to much. Welcome to the real world. Greenville, housing is very inexpensive when compared to other non-rural areas of the country. If you want a general comparison of cost of living in other areas check out this website (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed). It'll open your eyes. If you really want to pay less for housing get roommates or better yet get married. Then you'll be able to get even more than rent from your roomie

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2012 at 05:16 AM..

Old 07-27-2012, 05:17 PM

really? so to escape the hood/high crime areas, I have to pay $600+? This has been a real frustrating process. oh and the **** property manager I talked to today didn't help anything. His attitude was 'take it or leave it, I don't care." among other things, so I NOPED right out of there too. He acted like he was paying ME to rent his property. Just seems that people here don't care about the conditions that they rent from.

housing is 15% less in Fayetteville (where I'm from) using your calculator, oh and that market is HIGH thanks to the soldiers who get housing subsidized with BAH. Something ain't right. Across the country, rents are higher and wages are stagnant or decreasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina