Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

keeping options open, Our son is attending Community College for his AS...Wanting to Transfer to FAU in South Florida however He also is looking into UNCW for his career choice...either PT or OT/Exercise Science...One of his friends will be transferring so just comparing the 2 Schools..

He loves that its close to beach and the Water, How is the School overall?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I do know the school is popular for sports science majors here in NC, but do not have any personal knowledge to share. Another school that is even more popular (and has one of the best reputations in the field)for sports sciences is ECU.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:45 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
UNCW has a reputation of a party school. However, they seem to have a decent academic reputation in NC.

FAU is a big commuter school. There won't be a good sense of community as most students live elsewhere and commute to class.

I would also compare the cost of tuition at the two schools. NC definitely has cheaper tuition than Florida. The cost of living is also cheaper in NC.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:54 PM

UNCW as a party school? I know ECU has had that reputation nationally. I've been to parties in and around seven UNC universities, to include Duke, also. This is in Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Greenville, Fayetteville, and Wilmington. Not to mention the other private colleges in Raleigh. Wilmington was the most pedestrian (in a good way). There was even a time you would not be allowed into clubs in Wilmington with a military ID because servicemen were seen as too rowdy/trouble makers. This was in the late 90's/early 00's.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 PM

MAC your right, I was going to say I have been reading some Student Reviews on UNCW and alot of the Kids posted that if one wanted to party they need to not go to UNCW..lol
since it isnt regarding as a party school..

Acc---We lived in Boca for 3 years where FAU is, and my son has all his friends from HS that are attending FAU..We moved back to Charlotte beginning of his Senior, so at this point it will be a fallback plan... I agree with the Tution FAU is insane for out of state Now ECU I know is a party school as 2 of my son's friends from charlotte attend that school and well that is what they do. the same can be said for NC state which kids we know attend there too and party all the time...

Thank You for the Feedback

Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 PM

There is a great social scene there. Don't mistake that. It's just parties doesn't necessarily entail an excess of binge drinking and reckless behavior. It's just more laid back. Maybe it's the beach.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:40 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
About 8 - 10 years ago, the person in charge at UNCW went on a campaign to change the image from party to academic. Their SAT standards are much higher than ECU and the party school rep is largely a thing of the past. My daughter had numerous friends with great grades and high scores that were told NO at UNCW. The waltzed right in to ECU.

Actually, my daughter got a letter from UNCW that said, you are so dumb, don't even try to apply again. She, too waltzed into ECU.

ECU, based on what I hear when her peeps that come over is still party school USA, as much as many adults and those in the area would love to believe different. But why would you not party in G-Vegas?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
About 8 - 10 years ago, the person in charge at UNCW went on a campaign to change the image from party to academic. Their SAT standards are much higher than ECU and the party school rep is largely a thing of the past. My daughter had numerous friends with great grades and high scores that were told NO at UNCW. The waltzed right in to ECU.

Actually, my daughter got a letter from UNCW that said, you are so dumb, don't even try to apply again. She, too waltzed into ECU.

ECU, based on what I hear when her peeps that come over is still party school USA, as much as many adults and those in the area would love to believe different. But why would you not party in G-Vegas?
Holy Crap did she really get a letter like that?? Oy that makes me sick and let alone very unprofessional...that is also very discouraging..

LLN that is so funny about ECU..Is your daughter at ECU?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
UNCW has higher "admission" requirements than many of the other UNC schools, but not as high as UNC....that's why their students are commonly referred to as UNC-Wannabes. To be honest, i don't think the school is any different than any other, it just has the luxury of having higher standards because it is located in Wilmington....where people don't mind living, so to speak. They purposely try to keep their student population low (compared to UNCC and ECU), which gives them a better rating because they are admitting less applications (percentage wise) than others...and it appears the school is better...again, its the same.

In terms of partying...UNCW students certainly party, its just not college affiliated partying...its at bars and clubs in downtown Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. Wilmington is not a college town, like Chapel Hill or Greenville, so college affiliated stuff is harder to come by...and UNCW has about a third of the students NC State has, so with 20K less students there is less college affiliated partying.

As for ECU, I have heard it described as a "first timers" school...which isn't far off really. Its a good school, their graduates are successful and it has a good Med School and Health Science campus...but it does have lower admission standards which it see's as it's mission. It is located in a very impoverished area of the country and it gives opportunities to those less fortunate. Some of the high schools in that part of the state produce a low number of college eligible students. There are a lot of folks that "attended" ECU around the state....partied too much and never graduated. Greenville really is a college setting, which lends itself to more partying with college age folks. Its academic ratings have been increasing, partly because its retainage rate has gotten higher, maybe in turn with the ability to reject more applications as the state gets more populated (which has a trickle down affect).

Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Holy Crap did she really get a letter like that?? Oy that makes me sick and let alone very unprofessional...that is also very discouraging..

LLN that is so funny about ECU..Is your daughter at ECU?

It was not quite so blunt, but the message was very clear. But, we were very very very surprised at some of the folks that did not get accepted at UNCW. They figured they were shoe ins.

She did not go to ECU, I never understood all the drama, but she ended up, back at WCU. Nothing has prepared me for this mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina