U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 4,051 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link real estate scorecard. If I follow the Brunswick Forest annual fees. HOA is $2160 per year No golf but what does Sport and Social fees include. I noticed there is a initiation fee as well as annual club membership fee for both social and sport. Do you have to join social and sport clubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM

7,137 posts, read 7,162,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizsla1 View Post
Thanks for the link real estate scorecard. If I follow the Brunswick Forest annual fees. HOA is $2160 per year No golf but what does Sport and Social fees include. I noticed there is a initiation fee as well as annual club membership fee for both social and sport. Do you have to join social and sport clubs?
Anyone seriously interested in buying a lot in Brunswick Forest should not depend on a third-party website like the Scorecard. I just put it there as one indication of the fees. Please get the straight story directly from the Brunswick Forest HOA.

If you buy a lot in BF, as I read the website, yes, you would be required to pay homeowner HOA fees of $2160.

I did not see the site use the term "sport and social" but that usually means the use of the country club facilities like pools, tennis and eateries, minus golf.

If one is interested in golf, the BF course is "semi-public", meaning outside groups may be playing. There was no initiation fee mentioned on the Scorecard.

OTOH, the 4 golf courses in SJP are private, and one pays large initiation fee. In return, one should expect better opportunities.

As the OP was not a golfer, this difference may not be significant.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 PM

63 posts, read 49,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizsla1 View Post
Vizsla1, I live in BF and the annual HOA assessment varies a bit from neighborhood to neighborhood (ours is roughly $2400 this year). We do not pay sport & social fees. The HOA includes lawn maintenance and (among other things) the use of the Fitness and Wellness Center (pools, fitness classes, etc.); if you were to join Cape Fear National in order to play golf, you'd pay a separate annual fee (called the "annual pass").

Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
In addition, the main thread on SJP includes a recent report that there are dozens of foreclosed lots in the market in the range of $30-60K. I've checked them out on Realtor.com, and some even have pond-views. I think there are some good investments there.

Dozens of foreclosures in St. James? Say it ain't so!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM

544 posts, read 777,895 times
It be so..... just like everywhere else I suspect.

They are building lots that people could not hold on to for a myriad of reasons.... all of which have to do with "their own personal financial situations"..... nothing to do with the plantation.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM

336 posts, read 270,923 times
Hi! From Southern New Jersey and took my first trip to Coastal NC area - and saw both SJP and BF. Both were very nice developments. Brunswick Forest homes are more 'cookie cutter' - St. James Plantation very much custom. Differences in the HOA? Just to move into SJP, you must pay a one time fee of $15,000 - 'social membership'. If you play golf a lot you pay $30,000. $15,000 gives you access to pay golf I think for about $35 a round as a resident. That I think is the biggest difference. However, remember that all infrastructure and community is in the 'black' at SJP - they have their own fire dept., etc. because they are considered their own 'town' like having their own mayor, etc. I did however, like the closeness of Wilmington for Brunswick Forest - and having those stores close by. I thought, however the lot prices were high?? Comments please??

Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM

7,137 posts, read 7,162,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
I did however, like the closeness of Wilmington for Brunswick Forest - and having those stores close by. I thought, however the lot prices were high?? Comments please??
Unless you want to build from scratch, I would shop around for a resale home in Brunswick Forest. I also think the prices of new homes are a bit high.

My only comment about SJP, is that I don't think you *have* to join the country clubs. However, if you want to use the pools or tennis court, you have to have at least a social membership to the country club.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM

544 posts, read 777,895 times
That is correct.... SJP is not simply a gated community of houses on nice streets with a couple of pools... it is indeed a very upscale country club community with 4 full service clubhouses for the 81 holes of golf AND 5 full service restaurants attached to them... plus the full service marina and restaurant / tiki bar AND the private beach house with pool. It is also true that unlike many of the other "plantations" it is in extremely good shape financially ( not casting aspersions about Brunswick Forest, they may be fine in that regard too ).

We meet people from Brunswick Forest and other plantations in the Leland vicinity over at Southports' waterfront area and restaurants all the time... that's where they go for waterfront and beach as it is very difficult to get onto the beach at Wrightsville which is also a half hour drive from those communities.

Regarding the "shopping at the stores in Wilmington" and Leland..... we chose SJP specifically to be away from all that activity / traffic and instead chose the beachy / waterfront area of Southport and Oak Island which are minutes away. We lived in Union County, NJ for 20 years and everyone counted us fortunate to be only a 35 minute drive to the Bridgewater mall and about the same to the Short Hills mall,

# 1; we almost never went to the malls and when we did it was the same drive as going to Leland or a few minutes more into Wilmington....

# 2; refer to # 1 where we almost never went to the malls in NJ and we only find it necessary to go into Wilmington on a very rare occasion and then it's a nicer drive than NJ and only 45 minutes with almost no lights on a smooth as glass highway at 60 mph. I never understood the need to be just a few minutes away from the "shopping" in Wilmington, I don't know what everyone is shopping for everyday in their retirement...... almost everything we need / buy is delivered to our door by UPS and purchased online..... but each to his own.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM

50 posts, read 78,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Hi! From Southern New Jersey and took my first trip to Coastal NC area - and saw both SJP and BF. Both were very nice developments. Brunswick Forest homes are more 'cookie cutter' - St. James Plantation very much custom. Differences in the HOA? Just to move into SJP, you must pay a one time fee of $15,000 - 'social membership'. If you play golf a lot you pay $30,000. $15,000 gives you access to pay golf I think for about $35 a round as a resident. That I think is the biggest difference. However, remember that all infrastructure and community is in the 'black' at SJP - they have their own fire dept., etc. because they are considered their own 'town' like having their own mayor, etc. I did however, like the closeness of Wilmington for Brunswick Forest - and having those stores close by. I thought, however the lot prices were high?? Comments please??
I live in Union county and plan to start building at Rivers Edge in the town of Shallotte. You should check it out. It has a small town feel and is one mile from everything. I thought that SJP was very nice but seemed like it was too big.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 11,104 times
Default St. James

My wife and I purchased a lot in St. James... We open our horizon searching for our retirement homefront.
We traveled to Fl, S.C. and NC, visited community after community. We were really confused which one was better until we visited St. James. Community with 20yrs under its belt, well established and we just fell in love with the place. Tall trees everywhere... curvy roads... many taste in home design etc. St. James really did not feel like a "typical" Gated Community to us. As we drove around St. James, I told my wife..."this is it babe". She looked at me and smiled.
When I saw the Marina complex, I was sold...where do I sign? I am a fisherman and a boater,sooooo We loved it.
Shopping? All I care about is food shopping and supermarket was just down the road a piece. (Trying to assimilate here...) Other than food shopping, we hated. Keep them away from us. If we MUST go shopping other than food, it is only 45 wonderful minutes of driving. Takes me 45 minutes to go to Manhattan from my home. Its only 5 stinking miles. So, I am looking forward to NOT having shopping around me.
As for the member ship fee....my initiation fee of $15,000.00 was included with the purchase of my lot. My lot was $70k with pond in the back and a small pond in the front. We scored! So, don't get discouraged about all those initiation fees for Golf and social. It just may be included with your purchase of a lot or home. Get involved personally by going there, find out for yourself. People on this forum had great knowledge, but they don't know everything. Peace and good luck.
Excuse my destruction of english language, but it is my second language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina