U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM

784 posts, read 1,635,742 times

Advertisements

Southeastlady.... yes we are very happy here in St James, we, of course, think it's the best of everything.... others may differ.

The best ways to get all the info you need are.....

#1 visit the place in person...

#2 call them they'll be happy to give you an hours worth of disertation on the phone and then send you any written materials you may desire... of which there is a plethora

#3 scroll down a few lines to the "Thoughts or Information on St James Plantation" thread, just about every question and answer imaginable is asked and answered in detail, the good, the bad and the ugly so to speak..... there's probably 2 hours worth of reading posts by everyone under the sun, residents and possible would be's like yourself.... them's my recomendations.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
Mainly, how close are conveniences, groceries, banks, medical offices, hospitals, etc and particularly how long of a drive would it be to the 4 organic grocery stores in Wilmington such as Whole Foods?
Hi - The closest Wilmington organic grocery is 32 miles or 50 minutes from St. James Plantation. However, there's little need to drive that far. Both the Food Lion and Harris Teeter chains have some packaged organic food and organic produce. Your other questions can be answered with Google maps, by putting in "St James, NC", then asking it to find "banks" in the "search nearby" box. There appear to be plenty of conveniences with a couple miles of St. James. The Dosher Memorial Hospital is 7.5 miles from St James.

If you require organic meat, you might be better off consider living in Wilmington where the stores are closer.

There are some superb golf communities in Wilmington: Landfall and Porter's Neck. Landfall is similar to St James in the number of high-end houses. (I can't speak about the memberships options there, however.)

Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM

158 posts, read 286,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Southeastlady.... yes we are very happy here in St James, we, of course, think it's the best of everything.... others may differ.

The best ways to get all the info you need are.....

#1 visit the place in person...

#2 call them they'll be happy to give you an hours worth of disertation on the phone and then send you any written materials you may desire... of which there is a plethora

#3 scroll down a few lines to the "Thoughts or Information on St James Plantation" thread, just about every question and answer imaginable is asked and answered in detail, the good, the bad and the ugly so to speak..... there's probably 2 hours worth of reading posts by everyone under the sun, residents and possible would be's like yourself.... them's my recomendations.
Thanks...I was, however, hoping to get the answers to my questions directly from a resident with experience. We have learned that personal experience is always the best platform for factual and specific details on a neighborhood vs. the sales team or blogs. Residents are always a wealth of information because they have first hand knowledge of the pros and cons which is never available through a sales team, especially the cons. I do, however, appreciate you taking the time to respond and are happy that you have found the right destination for yourself and your family....continued happiness at St James.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Hi - The closest Wilmington organic grocery is 32 miles or 50 minutes from St. James Plantation. However, there's little need to drive that far. Both the Food Lion and Harris Teeter chains have some packaged organic food and organic produce. Your other questions can be answered with Google maps, by putting in "St James, NC", then asking it to find "banks" in the "search nearby" box. There appear to be plenty of conveniences with a couple miles of St. James. The Dosher Memorial Hospital is 7.5 miles from St James.

If you require organic meat, you might be better off consider living in Wilmington where the stores are closer.

There are some superb golf communities in Wilmington: Landfall and Porter's Neck. Landfall is similar to St James in the number of high-end houses. (I can't speak about the memberships options there, however.)
Thanks for the info. Leland looks appealing due to its closeness to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market and the Coop. We are used to having these facilities very near our NE home and would like to repeat this. The small organic food availability in major grocery chains would not meet our needs, but I do appreciate your help.

We have visited both Landfall and Porter's Neck and unfortunately found the homes to be too close together for our needs and having been members of an equity club in the past, do not want to "own a country club" so to speak in this economy. This type of golf opportunity leaves one vulnerable to ongoing assessments which is not something we want to be subject to right now.

These, are of course, only wants and needs that we personally have and is not a criticism of anyone else's preferences when it comes to lifestyle. Thanks again for your help...

Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
We have visited both Landfall and Porter's Neck and unfortunately found the homes to be too close together for our needs
How much land do you require? I see many places in Landfall that 1/2 to 3/4 acre lots?

Regarding equity ownership in country clubs, I don't understand the legalities. However, both Brunswick Forest and St James are regarded as having sound financials. I don't think eiither will go broke. BF has a public golf course, and the annual fees are on the web site. St James has four country clubs, and one has to pay an initiation fee to join.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-04-2013 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
How much land do you require? I see many places in Landfall that 1/2 to 3/4 acre lots?

Regarding equity ownership in country clubs, I don't understand the legalities. However, both Brunswick Forest and St James are regarded as having sound financials. I don't think eiither will go broke. BF has a public golf course, and the annual fees are on the web site. St James has four country clubs, and one has to pay an initiation fee to join.
My husband, for whatever reason, did not like Landfall. We drove through with a realtor and looked at properties including new construction by one of the large volume builders and he was not interested in the community.

We are not looking for a ton of acreage by any means. Our main goal is not to be smack up against the next door neighbor. The lots in the golf section of BF can offer this to a buyer, of course, for a price. However, the lots in Landfall were also pricey.

What I was referencing by an equity club is one which is owned by the members through their initiation fee (often not refundable) and their monthly dues and food minimums. The problem with this type of club/golf membership is that every time something needs repaired or updated, the members pay for it through an assessment which is added onto your monthly dues and increasing them. Golf courses are very expensive to maintain and keep in top condition, so these types of memberships generally always incur added costs onto the members.

The fact that BF has a course that is public with preferential tee times a green/cart fees to residents is particularly appealing. Playing this type of neighborhood course assures you that you will not be responsible for added costs to maintain the course and it is run by a professional golf course management firm with experience and reduced costs to maintain the course because of volume.

Thank you once again for your help and kindness.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM

562 posts, read 933,108 times
do you have to pay expensive flood insurance to build a home in Rivers Edge?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN5147 View Post
We looked in South Carolina, but tax on second home is very costly for out of staters.

Congratulations on doing your homework on property taxes for second home owners in SC. The legislature changed the rules and we got stuck. Our property taxes are 4 times as much as our resident neighbor who happens to be a resident.
Just saw this older post and wanted to confirm this issue on second home owners in SC. We are one of these folks and if you own a home in any other state, SC taxes you at 6% versus the full time SC resident who is taxed at 4%. Two percent doesn't sound like it should be a big difference, however, our real estate taxes on our home are also nearly 4 times what our neighbor pays. If you are age appropriate, you also are not eligible for their homestead act which significantly lowers your tax burden but only if you are a full time SC resident.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM

59 posts, read 115,980 times
I don't know if this will help, but we were down in the Wilmington area in the fall checking out communities. We spent a couple days in Wilmington and visited Waterford, Tidalwalk, and Brunswick Forest. We were seriously considering purchasing a lot in BF in the Shelmore section until we visited St James. We took advantage of their get-away package and met with someone from the sales team who spent half a day with us touring the plantation. By the end of the first day and after comparing BF and SJP, we were sold in SJP and put a deposit on a lot we had seen during our tour. At BF, we would have an approximate 1/6 acre lot with neighbors extremely close, one swimming pool and fitness center, one dog park, and HOA of $175/month. We have a boat but would have to find a marina. Pluses at BF was the close proximity to medical centers and veterinary hospital.

At SJP we are purchasing a 1/2 acre wooded lot with preserved space behind and to one side for less than what we would pay for the lot in BF. in addition, we were told that we had to build within five years; SJP we can build whenever we are ready -- no time limits. Membership was included in the price of our lot. Our HOA fees will be less than $70/month and since we will be nonresidents, we will pay only $100/month for social membership which includes all country clubs (4), pools (4), golf courses (4). SJP also has a wonderful marina to keep our boat, beach club (with pool) minutes from our lot, and two dog parks (for our St Bernard). Once we become residents our membership will increase to $170/month. To us, SJP was a no-brainier. In addition, like Stoney said, there were trees in BF but it felt like a new development where they cut down all the trees and barren lots, unlike SJP.

Lastly, from additional research I believe property taxes were slightly higher in BF than at SJP.

We're hoping to close the beginning of April and will be visiting SJP over Memorial Day weekend during their Open House weekend. We are very excited to relocate to SJP and hope the time flies until we are residents!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
I don't know if this will help, but we were down in the Wilmington area in the fall checking out communities. We spent a couple days in Wilmington and visited Waterford, Tidalwalk, and Brunswick Forest. We were seriously considering purchasing a lot in BF in the Shelmore section until we visited St James. We took advantage of their get-away package and met with someone from the sales team who spent half a day with us touring the plantation. By the end of the first day and after comparing BF and SJP, we were sold in SJP and put a deposit on a lot we had seen during our tour. At BF, we would have an approximate 1/6 acre lot with neighbors extremely close, one swimming pool and fitness center, one dog park, and HOA of $175/month. We have a boat but would have to find a marina. Pluses at BF was the close proximity to medical centers and veterinary hospital.

At SJP we are purchasing a 1/2 acre wooded lot with preserved space behind and to one side for less than what we would pay for the lot in BF. in addition, we were told that we had to build within five years; SJP we can build whenever we are ready -- no time limits. Membership was included in the price of our lot. Our HOA fees will be less than $70/month and since we will be nonresidents, we will pay only $100/month for social membership which includes all country clubs (4), pools (4), golf courses (4). SJP also has a wonderful marina to keep our boat, beach club (with pool) minutes from our lot, and two dog parks (for our St Bernard). Once we become residents our membership will increase to $170/month. To us, SJP was a no-brainier. In addition, like Stoney said, there were trees in BF but it felt like a new development where they cut down all the trees and barren lots, unlike SJP.

Lastly, from additional research I believe property taxes were slightly higher in BF than at SJP.

We're hoping to close the beginning of April and will be visiting SJP over Memorial Day weekend during their Open House weekend. We are very excited to relocate to SJP and hope the time flies until we are residents!
Thanks for your thoughts and info. We are still in the decision making stage and haven't visited SJP yet. My husband is concerned that there is no natural gas available at SJP. With electric costs on the rise and his concern over safety with propane tanks having had experience with them in his former career, I am having trouble getting him to take a look. This thread has been so helpful, thanks to all and congratulations and best wishes in your new homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina