U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
We are still in the decision making stage and haven't visited SJP yet. My husband is concerned that there is no natural gas available at SJP. With electric costs on the rise and his concern over safety with propane tanks having had experience with them in his former career, I am having trouble getting him to take a look.
I hope the natural gas availability is not a deal breaker for SJP. There seem to be so many other things in its favor, such as the larger lots and trees.

Brunswick Forest says it is one of the few communities in Brunswick County with natural gas service. FWIW, I had to switch to an electric stove moving to Mimosa Bay, but I really don't mind. The new electric stoves are fast and efficient. Our electric bills for heat and A/C are reasonable compared to Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM

158 posts, read 286,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I hope the natural gas availability is not a deal breaker for SJP. There seem to be so many other things in its favor, such as the larger lots and trees.

Brunswick Forest says it is one of the few communities in Brunswick County with natural gas service. FWIW, I had to switch to an electric stove moving to Mimosa Bay, but I really don't mind. The new electric stoves are fast and efficient. Our electric bills for heat and A/C are reasonable compared to Maryland.
Thanks. It wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me, but we would want a fireplace knowing how chilly the winter nights can be in NC and my husband is very anti propane due to his experience and knowledge from his career background.

My hesitation lies in the remoteness of SJP and distance to Wilmington to reach Whooe Foods, Trader Joes etc which we frequent in both our NE Location and our winter location. We are also both golfers and the $500 + monthly dues for golf plus the cart charge are a little steep for non-private courses.

We haven't ruled it out, but these types of needs for our lifestyle sort of outway trees for now.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,965,757 times
Just wondering, where did the 500.00 per month for Golf quote come from? Did St. James provide that quote for belonging to all 4 courses including the Reserve?

Just wondering as this is the first time I have seen a quote that high.

Thanks

Quote:
Thanks. It wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me, but we would want a fireplace knowing how chilly the winter nights can be in NC and my husband is very anti propane due to his experience and knowledge from his career background.

My hesitation lies in the remoteness of SJP and distance to Wilmington to reach Whooe Foods, Trader Joes etc which we frequent in both our NE Location and our winter location. We are also both golfers and the $500 + monthly dues for golf plus the cart charge are a little steep for non-private courses.

We haven't ruled it out, but these types of needs for our lifestyle sort of outway trees for now.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM

784 posts, read 1,635,742 times
Biscy..... people throw out these "quotes" out of context all the time. There are several levels of different golf memberships as detailed sooo many times before. One also has to remember that St James is not simply a row of houses, it is a very upscale / country club community.... that may not be what some are looking for, in adition if one is going to play golf everyday at a very upscale country club community like St James.... it does not come free. As detailed soooo may times before, one does not have to belong to a golf membership at all in order to play golf, one can pay as you go.... but once again, it is not simply a row upon row of houses like many of the others mentioned.... to have all the amenities and restaurants and clubhouses to enjoy costs $$.... it is not free.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,965,757 times
Yep, very true as I have been there many times over the past 7-8 years. I know it well. I just was not aware the monthly fees were up to 500.00 per month after the 15,000 or 30k down payment or "Stroke" as they may say.
Things chnge all the time so maybe the rates went up...

Must be all those rich "joisey" people building houses down there!!

Ha!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Biscy..... people throw out these "quotes" out of context all the time. There are several levels of different golf memberships as detailed sooo many times before. One also has to remember that St James is not simply a row of houses, it is a very upscale / country club community.... that may not be what some are looking for, in adition if one is going to play golf everyday at a very upscale country club community like St James.... it does not come free. As detailed soooo may times before, one does not have to belong to a golf membership at all in order to play golf, one can pay as you go.... but once again, it is not simply a row upon row of houses like many of the others mentioned.... to have all the amenities and restaurants and clubhouses to enjoy costs $$.... it is not free.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM

I wrote a letter to Donald Trump a while back.... I asked him what was wrong with being "rich"....
he answered succinctly and correctly..... NOTHING !

Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Just wondering, where did the 500.00 per month for Golf quote come from? Did St. James provide that quote for belonging to all 4 courses including the Reserve?

Just wondering as this is the first time I have seen a quote that high.

Thanks
FYI for Biscman and Stoneycreek:

My husband and I spoke with an onsite agent at SJP last Sunday with a series of questions as we are planning another trip to the area soon and were thinking about also looking at SJP.

We are both avid golfers and play several times a week. We formerly belonged to a private equity club in the NE for over 10 years so are very familiar with private country club golf memberships. With golf as our priority, we asked specific questions last Sunday regarding the golf membership at SJP along with many other questions; types of foundations, need for soil analysis for compaction to sustain foundations, flood zone info, custom builder info, HOA dues breakdown, community debt if any, if the community is still Declarant run and so on an so on.

Regarding golf membership at SJP as of last Sunday, here goes:
1. $15,000 non refundable initial investment which provides membership to all 4 courses
2. Monthly dues for unlimited play at all 4 courses: $507.50
3. This monthly fee does not include cart fees which are an additional $20/round
4. Monthly food minimum $50

Keep in mind the following:
These courses are not private in that they permit outside play which is much different from a private equity club that does not permit outside play. A guest must be accompanied by a member to play at a private equity club. My husband played The Founders course at SJP several years ago while on a golf junket with his buddies. This would not be permitted on a private equity course.

SJP does permit walking during play which is a true asset and they do not charge a trail fee which is also a plus. The very few country club courses that permit walking will often charge a fee (trail fee) for the player to walk the course.

The other benefit of the the courses at SJP is that the member can be assured that there will be no assessments. The courses are managed by a professional golf course management company. There are always costs associated with running a golf course. These could include replacing the greens or irrigation system both of which are big ticket numbers. When course maintenance becomes over budget in a private equity country club, these expenses are passed on to the members via assessments. In courses such as those at SJP the only way to cover such costs would be to raise the daily green fees for outside play and for "pay as you play" resident members and also to raise the monthly dues of SJP residents who hold the full golf memberships.

I hope this helps explain the breakdown of costs that we received from the on site agent and helped you to understand the reasoning behind the present $507.50 monthly costs at SJP to be able to access all 4 courses with unlimited play.

PS to Stony: Since you have corresponded with the Donald, please see if he can get us Doral once he renovates it !! LOL

Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM

I'm not sure about Doral, the Donald didn't mention it.....

but I guess what you are saying is that there is no free lunch anywhere..... I certainly agree. There are different plantations and communities out there and they each have their own pros and cons and fee schedules and what you get and don't get for those fees. Everyone is free to choose where and how they choose to retire. The fee structure is what it is at St James and of course it is not for everyone, there are an almost infinite number of choices of communities in the area and what they offer..... surely there is something to fit any individual's wishlist and/or pocketbook..... as has been mentioned many times on these forums St James is a beautiful place to live but it's not for everyone.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
I'm not sure about Doral, the Donald didn't mention it.....

but I guess what you are saying is that there is no free lunch anywhere..... I certainly agree. There are different plantations and communities out there and they each have their own pros and cons and fee schedules and what you get and don't get for those fees. Everyone is free to choose where and how they choose to retire. The fee structure is what it is at St James and of course it is not for everyone, there are an almost infinite number of choices of communities in the area and what they offer..... surely there is something to fit any individual's wishlist and/or pocketbook..... as has been mentioned many times on these forums St James is a beautiful place to live but it's not for everyone.
Well said Stoney. My post was just to assure everyone that my original information on the golf fees @ SJP was not heresay. We all have a wonderful platform with "city data" to help each other with whatever information we can offer. I, for one, would never post anything such as community fees if I were not certain that the information was correct.

I'm sure SJP is s lovely community and if I can convince my husband to overlook the fact that there is not natural gas in the community, I would love to see it for myself. I'll keep working on him !

Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 PM

16 posts, read 38,119 times
Quote:
Well said Stoney. My post was just to assure everyone that my original information on the golf fees @ SJP was not heresay. We all have a wonderful platform with "city data" to help each other with whatever information we can offer. I, for one, would never post anything such as community fees if I were not certain that the information was correct.

I'm sure SJP is s lovely community and if I can convince my husband to overlook the fact that there is not natural gas in the community, I would love to see it for myself. I'll keep working on him !
One note - we built in St. James in 2006 and have a fireplace ready for propane gas but didn't install the tank yet because we've just been part-timers. But we just bought a new lot and have been talking to builders - Many, many new homes in SJP are being built with gas stoves now using LP and we would probably do so too - very comfortable with that. It's widely used in the area. I'm no expert but you might talk to a few of the better builders and get their thoughts. I do think it's true that it wouldn't be practical to have gas heat though - we have electric and bills have been reasonable. The water company there actually CALLED us in Maryland last fall concerned that our usage was high - they were right - we had just found out a toilet was running. We fixed it - the lady at the water company actually told me exactly who and what to write and they refunded 3/4 of the excess charge!! Would never have that in DC area! We have been SO impressed with how nice and friendly and helpful everyone has been since we've been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina