U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:01 AM

956 posts, read 4,072,177 times

Advertisements

My wife and I lived there for 7 years. In fact, she earned her nursing degree at PCC and worked at the Hospital 4 several years before we left.
She can't say enough good about the hospital as a place to work. But, we are basically big city people from the Midwest. Just couldn't adjust to the culture.
We had a couple of pretty close friends, Nurses from Canada, that were recruited by the hospital. I think they may have moved on to Detroit, to be closer to family and get away from the LONG summers and Hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 AM

20 posts, read 52,690 times
Default Wow...

It looks like we need to help Duchovny find a job out of town somewhere...LOL. I'm not sure that I have ever read things so negative about Greenville.

I grew up in and around Greenville. I have also lived in other parts of the state...more metropolitan areas. I moved back because I missed it so much. I can see how some people from larger cities in other states may not like it here. However, unlike Duchovny, I feel like Greenville has a lot to offer. Like I said, I moved away for about 7 years (for college and grad school), and when I returned, Greenville was a different place. It has grown a lot, and is continuing to grow. For someone who is a "long-term resident" it is hard for me to understand how one can say that it doesn't have anything. Compared to Raleigh and Charlotte, I would agree; but, considering how much we have now and what's coming as compared to where we were in 2000, we have A LOT.

Everyone has their own opinions about things, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would just say that no one should let one person's opinion influence their perception about a place when they have never visited it themselves. Know what I mean?

[mod]advertising[mod]
Benji

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-10-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM

9 posts, read 47,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Taylor View Post
It looks like we need to help Duchovny find a job out of town somewhere...LOL. I'm not sure that I have ever read things so negative about Greenville.

I grew up in and around Greenville. I have also lived in other parts of the state...more metropolitan areas. I moved back because I missed it so much. I can see how some people from larger cities in other states may not like it here. However, unlike Duchovny, I feel like Greenville has a lot to offer. Like I said, I moved away for about 7 years (for college and grad school), and when I returned, Greenville was a different place. It has grown a lot, and is continuing to grow. For someone who is a "long-term resident" it is hard for me to understand how one can say that it doesn't have anything. Compared to Raleigh and Charlotte, I would agree; but, considering how much we have now and what's coming as compared to where we were in 2000, we have A LOT.

Everyone has their own opinions about things, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would just say that no one should let one person's opinion influence their perception about a place when they have never visited it themselves. Know what I mean?

I would be happy to send anyone some literature on Greenville and the surrounding areas. Just let me know if you would like me to send you something.

Benji
It depends on what you are looking for. As I told Jen in my first post. If you like college sports, chain restaurants and alcohol it's a great place to live. If you like a quiet place to live or low taxes/crime or a different culture (arts/crafts, classical/folk music, appreciation for history) then little ol' New Bern is far superior to Greenville.

I think if Jen is in the medical community and moves in those circles then she may be perfectly happy here. I was just telling her some of my observations as a (unhappy) resident (and yes I will be on the first bus out of this place as soon as I land a job). To each his own!

Old 10-04-2007, 01:17 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,398,388 times
Default Info on Greenville, NC

Jen, Greenville is a very nice city to live in and there are things to do. At the college they have musicals and plays.

There are some great restaurants. We are Italian so we do not eat in any Italian restaurants in town. Some of our favorites are, The Daily Grind, all natural and fresh food daily, Chef 505, fine dining, Tie Breakers, $4.79 daily specials, awesome cheeseburgers, Whimpies (in Winterville) Oyster bar, Panera Bread and Bear Rock Cafe, good salads, soups and sandwiches. All sanitary ratings have to be visible. We do not go into any restaurant whose rating is below 90-92.

What most of the posters have said are true. It is less expensive to eat out then food shop. Basically, the only thing that is less expensive then most States are housing costs. Homes and rents are low. We will be moving out of the area next year to go to the Western part of the State. The only reason we are moving out of the area is because of the intense heat and humidity from the middle of May until now, October 4th and the a/c is still on.

Good luck on your move. kelsie

Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 52,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Just for everyones' info- "hydro" in Canada is electric power. A lot of Canada is electrically powered by water, Niagra Falls being a major contributor. I grew up hearing my parents talking about the "hydro" bill. Our translation is the "electric" or "power" bill. The water bill is a completely different thing.
I must apologize! I am not familiar with different municipal fees and taxes in America.

-Jen

Old 10-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Hello Everyone

I must extend my thanks to all who replied and gave me a glimpse of what living in Greenville would be like. I really appreciate the honesty in the answers as well as personal recommendations.
It is a big decision to move to another country and as silly as it may seem, I would like to prepare myself for the 'culture shock' (I still can't get over how you have to pay before pumping gas). I am used to college towns, from currently living in one as a student, and I grew up in a 'sub-urb' with about the same population as Greenville. I am a little iffy on the crime rate though... and hurricanes (yikes).

Anyway, thanks again for all of your input! From what I have heard so far, there seems to be some friendly people out there!

-Jen

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
My wife and I lived there for 7 years. In fact, she earned her nursing degree at PCC and worked at the Hospital 4 several years before we left.
She can't say enough good about the hospital as a place to work. But, we are basically big city people from the Midwest. Just couldn't adjust to the culture.
We had a couple of pretty close friends, Nurses from Canada, that were recruited by the hospital. I think they may have moved on to Detroit, to be closer to family and get away from the LONG summers and Hurricanes.

Hurricanes come that far inland? Is the damage bad? Are there any other types of natural disasters which occur (or high incidences of insect swarms, etc.)

Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchovny View Post
Jen - as a nurse you picked the right field for working in Greenville. Our medical center is the hub of not only the city but the entire region east of Raleigh.

That being said, it depends on your age /goals as to whether you will like it. Greenville is a college town with 25K ECU students + 6K PCC students out of 70K total population. The town offers the typical drawbacks of a college community with few of the benefits. If you like sports (especially college football) it's a great place to live. The town is very youth oriented with lots of fast food places. Too many to count!

Hydro (water/sewer)? is the highest I have ever paid anywhere. Greenville has it's own municipal utility which charges the highest rates of anywhere in eastern NC. If you live in town and own a home you will pay $75-100 per month for water/sewer and that is if you DONT water your lawn.

Car Insurance: about average in cost compared to other areas.

Attractions: good luck! We have one half decent Barnes & Noble and that's it, no independent booksellers to speak of. No decent 'cultural hangouts', very few good restaurants (unless you like franchises), surprisingly little music (if you like symphony/classical). Attractions are the beach (1.5 hours east), Raleigh-Durham (1.25 hours away) -- Greenville sits in the center of the black hole in between.

Great places to eat: Starlight Cafe. Finelli's. That's it.

Crime rate is horrible. In August-September there were 20 gas station robberies in 21 days. In response the police launched a click it or ticket program to crack down on seat belt non-users. Yes, the police force is that inept/corrupt! Lots of gang activity in town. Lots of drug use.

Friendly place: just depends. Working in the medical community you are likely to have decent co-workers so you should make friends quickly. There is a group called 'Northern Exposure' (for new arrivals from parts North of Greenville) that meets regularly.

Best areas to live: depends on what you are looking for. There are some decent condo's in the hospital area (and some lousy ones too). Treybrooke is the only apartment complex in town that I can recommend. All the rest are dominated by crime or 24 hour party people. If you are buying a home Winterville is to Greenville as Cary is to Raleigh (insta-burb).
Worst places to live: too many to name.

Sorry to be so negative, but this is a long term resident who will get out of this place as soon as I can find a job elsewhere.

Oh I assume you know what the weather is like? Winters are mild (you MIGHT see snow flakes once a year). Fall is short (Mid-October until Christmas). Spring is from March to May and summer starts in either May or June and last until Mid-October (TONS of humidity). I have friends who lived in Phoenix and said it was more bearable than the 5 months of summer in Greenville.

Lastly TAXES. Don't be fooled by our "low property tax rates". NC has very high taxes. Greenville property taxes were raised 50-100% in 2004 and are due for re-valuation next year. NC Income Tax is very high. Sales tax is 6.75%. There is a fee/tax for everything under the sun. I have friends from New England who paid less taxes there than in NC!

Hope I answered your questions.

Hmm, so sports are really big there? I guess this sounds a little dorky but sports aren't big where I'm from (most high schools don't even have a football or cheerleading team due to lack of interest. seriously). Are there those homecoming parades and such? I think it would be interesting to see once.
So there are no interesting community festivals or the like? Thats a little disappointing.

Thank you for your honesty in replying to my questions.
-Jen

Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Taylor View Post

[mod]advertising[mod]
Benji

Does Greenville have one of those 'close knit community' feel to it? I've grew up in a suburb of Toronto so I have my reservations about big cities. As for the residents, in your opinion, is Greenville the type of place that will get you stabbed for smiling and saying hi to people on the sidewalk (ok... thats a little extreme, but I'm sure you get my drift).

Thank you for sharing your experiences of Greenville!

-Jen

Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM

20 posts, read 52,690 times
Hey! I would be happy to answer any questions you may have on Greenville and the area. I grew up here. Go to: Homes for Sale in Greenville NC. Greenville NC Real Estate Listings. Greenville NC Townhouses and Condos for Sale. Pat Taylor & Associates. or you can email me: benji@benjitaylor.com. You can get my phone number from the website. I hope all is well, and I look forward to talking to you about Greenville.

Benji
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina