U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:32 PM

86 posts, read 201,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infonc View Post
I just wanted to jump in here and say, that no matter where in NC you live or visiit, it will be what you make it to be. If you look for the good you will find the good, if you look for the worst, then naturally you will find the worst. Any place you go in the world is going to have crime, corruption, sad prices and all the other negative aspects that have been pointed out here. If you accept the fact that this is where you want to be and always look for the positive influences, then it will be the happiest and most beautiful places on the face of the earth. Life is just that, What you make it!

Enjoy the Southern Hospitality, loving nature, the beauty and cultural aspects and you will know you made the right decision. Jobs are tight for anyone at this time everywhere, but if you are willing to sacrifice a little, then you can and will find a job. Anything is better than nothing and at least it puts food on your table.

Good luck, and please keep an open mind.
I agree with you 100%. Just like I have move from Durham, NC to Raleigh, NC. The people in Raleigh want to talk about Durham( how bad it is), but they can not talk, because Raleigh is just as bad. I do like Durham better. I am from Goldsboro, NC and I was thinking about moving to Greenville, NC. I know for sure I am moving from Raleigh, but I am still trying to fugure out where. AS long as Greenville have the basic: Movie threater, food stores, walmart, target, etc. Some of the place that you all say yall have then I am alright. One thing I do want to know do they have city bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 02:41 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,107,448 times
There is city transit, but I think it's pretty limited...I see a LOT more ECU buses than GREAT (Greenville Area Transit) buses.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:18 AM

44 posts, read 229,329 times
Why on Earth you would move here is beyond me. I can't wait to move out of here. Unless you have a job waiting here move to Raleigh, Wilmington, Charlotte, etc or suburbs of those.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,231 times
Default nurses needed in wnc??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vq1;2
Jen. If the above posts have you concerned about the eastern part of the state, keep in mind that NC is a very wide state. Nursing skills are in great demand in the Triangle (Durham , Chapel Hill, & Raleigh), the Triad (Greensboro, High Point & Winston-Salem) and in western NC, where I now reside.

There is a lot of variety in NC (we used to call ourselves the Variety Vacationland) both in the culture and the scenery. You can have the coast or the highest mountain ranges (over 6,600 feet above the sea level) in the eastern half of the US. The Blue Ridge Parkway, the Appalachian Trail and numerous other trails and roads criss-cross this state. Want food? So many excellant places to tell you about and nowhere enough time. Try Googling for additional information.

NC actually rates as a very affordable place to live, from the housing costs, auto insurance and electricity rates (Duke Power and Progress Energy are considered as better performing electric generating utulities as go US energy companies.)

Of course, gasoline costs are now through the roof! Where two months ago, I paid about $2.65 a gallon, today it was $3.03 a US gallon (approximately 4 litres) for regular gasoline.

The medical schools at Greenville (ECU), Durham (Duke), Chapel Hill (University of North Carolina) and Winston-Salem (Wake Forest - Bowman Grey School of Medicine) create a large demand for nurses and offer exceptional opportunities for those in the nursing field. This demand has trickled out into the outlying areas.

Friday nights in the fall are High School Football night anywhere in NC. The locals really support the high scool teams. And yes, we still have the holiday parades.

College basketball rules late fall through winter. The teams frequently end up in the NCAA finals. UNC, NCSU, Duke, and Wake Forest. Most areas have minor league abseball teams. The Durham Bulls are the most famous and have a beautiful stadium (go to their website at 2007 Durham Bulls Baseball Club) but there are many others: The Asheville Tourists, Hickory Crawdads, etc.

Wish you the best with your decision. We can use more nurses down here, especially in western NC.
Hi, I have just joined not really got the hang of this yet, but was reading your post and saw that you live in WNC so do I just wondering where the nursing jobs are. I am a RN (15 yrs) exp in multiple areas, last ER, If anyone outthere knows of any nursing jobs WNC ot the coast I would be very grateful as I have been looking for a while now.
Thanks anyone
Edie ehembreern@gmail.com

Old 11-18-2009, 03:19 PM

11 posts, read 25,062 times
Default Well, you talked me right out of not

wanting to move to Greenville.
I have a job interview at a hospital there and just read the city data and some of the posts here and Greenville doesn't sound appealing at all! And that disappoints me. The crime, no shops, no "cultural" stuff, "all fried foods"- ahhh, come on folks, I'm sure there's some good stuff about Greenville!!
I've been trying to get coastal for a couple years (love it on the "east side") I'm on the left side of the state in the mountains and really tired of rain and mold and trees (sometimes the trees just fall over!) and landslides! God knows it's the most beautiful place but- I love it back "east".
So, if not living in Greenville, does anyone recommend Washington or any of the other local communities?
But, I'm desperate for a job and there might be one there for me. I'm gonna go on the interview and see what happens....

filmmy (gimme some hope folks!!!)

Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 PM

451 posts, read 1,688,473 times
Haha, it's not all bad. Keep in mind this isn't that big a city, so cultural activities aren't going to compare to Raleigh or larger cities. However, with ECU, there is a lot stuff going on with the arts scene. Crime is pretty bad, but not so much in the surrounding communities. I've lived here 8 years and like it, even though some of the things you mentioned are frustrating.

There are some good restaurants here...don't listen to the "everything is fried" stuff.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,107,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmy Teefis View Post
wanting to move to Greenville.
I have a job interview at a hospital there and just read the city data and some of the posts here and Greenville doesn't sound appealing at all! And that disappoints me. The crime, no shops, no "cultural" stuff, "all fried foods"- ahhh, come on folks, I'm sure there's some good stuff about Greenville!!
I've been trying to get coastal for a couple years (love it on the "east side") I'm on the left side of the state in the mountains and really tired of rain and mold and trees (sometimes the trees just fall over!) and landslides! God knows it's the most beautiful place but- I love it back "east".
So, if not living in Greenville, does anyone recommend Washington or any of the other local communities?
But, I'm desperate for a job and there might be one there for me. I'm gonna go on the interview and see what happens....

filmmy (gimme some hope folks!!!)
I moved my family here (from Oregon) in 2005 for a job...job is winding down so we're heading elsewhere - I make well above the norm for what I do here in Greenville.

For the size of the city, I think there are plenty of good restaurants. The areas outside of the city are fine crime-wise. I just moved out of our home in the Eastern Pines area. Loved the area - quiet and had a large lot, but just five minutes from Bell's Fork area (closest grocery/gas/etc). I wouldn't go as far as Washington if I were working in Greenville due to the commute time, but that's me.

There is also a decent (not a lot, but some) amount of culture activities, due to ECU being here. Not enough activities for kids though, in my opinion.

Government schools were disappointing in Greenville; we had our daughter in private, which was very reasonable at about $3k/year for elementary school.

My wife doesn't like being so far from a big city and got a little tired of the mentality of many of the locals (resenting newcomers was her main complaint). I liked Greenville and would have stayed if the job had worked out longer.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,043,285 times
Filmmy Teefis...

I'll tell you what the biggest and most often occuring crime is in the Greenville area. The local TV stations that sensationalize every little crime that may occur here. Some lady's purse got stolen from the mall. You'd think it was the crime of the century. Now everybody is of the opinion that it's no longer safe to go to the mall. Gim'me a break. Is there crime? Undoubtably. But just like most other cities in the WORLD it is generally confined to certain areas of the city.

Before I moved my family here I did my research. I got a map of Greenville and pined it to the wall. I'd check the Reflector out online every day and I'd put a pin in the map whereever a non-petty crime occured. It became apparent real fast where all of the crime was occuring and it wasn't spread evenly throughout the city. The northwest part of the city and the areas north of the river easliy had the majority of the crime.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:10 AM

451 posts, read 1,688,473 times
I agree with your post...the media around here tends to sensationalize the crime (i'm not saying people shouldn't be informed).

Old 11-21-2009, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,871 times
Hi Jen,
Greenville is a nice place to live - lots of Canadians (mostly nurses) have migrated this way. The City's website ([URL="http://www.greenvillenc.gov"]www.greenvillenc.gov[/URL]) has crime stats available - may have to email the Police Dept. for specific areas you are looking for. As far as best places to live, you are welcomed to view my website ([URL="http://www.dedecarney.com"]www.dedecarney.com[/URL]) to see what the homes are like - price and descriptions, but also feel free to call me directly 252-347-9678 or email me at [EMAIL="dede@dedecarney.com"]dede@dedecarney.com[/EMAIL]. I've been a Realtor here since 1984 and know the area well and would be happy to assist in your relocation, if you decide to come this way. Greenville has recently been designated a "playful" city, a SportstownUSA City, and as home to East Carolina University ([URL="http://www.ecu.edu"]www.ecu.edu[/URL]) and a major medical facility ([URL="http://www.pcmh.com"]www.pcmh.com[/URL]), Greenville offers LOTS of cultural, health and recreational resouces for a City of its size. Would love to offer you the top reasons why I think Greenville "has it going on" so call me! Dede Carney, REALTOR@ [EMAIL="dede@dedecarney.com"]dede@dedecarney.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina