U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 PM

29 posts, read 70,176 times

Advertisements

I am a widow (50), living in Ga. right now, looking for possible move for now and retirement. I still need to work, ultrasound/mammo tech. Would LOVE to be near the beach. North Carolina sounds very tempting. What are housing prices really like for a new 3 bd, 2 bath house? Any advise where to look for more info, or ideas would love to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,718 times
Smile Some info for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart00 View Post
I am a widow (50), living in Ga. right now, looking for possible move for now and retirement. I still need to work, ultrasound/mammo tech. Would LOVE to be near the beach. North Carolina sounds very tempting. What are housing prices really like for a new 3 bd, 2 bath house? Any advise where to look for more info, or ideas would love to hear.
You can find a home with those specifications for just under $200K within about 7 miles of the beaches at Emerald Isle

There are hospitals in Morehead City (25 minutes), Jacksonville (35 minutes) and New Bern (45 minutes).

Eastern Carolina Emergency Internal Medicine (ECIM (broken link)) also has five facilities in the general area.

Carteret County's profile is at this link.

It is an area of small towns where people are general more interested in walking the beaches, local festivals, fishing, boating, or enjoying the fresh seafood than night life.

You can find more info at my Emerald Isle Travel Guide or my main website.

I would be glad to answer any area questions or share my NC beach knowledge with you.

-David Sobotta

The picture below was taken from the Cameron Langston Bridge which connects Cedar Point & Cape Carteret with Emerald Isle. The sun had just gone down. The area is stunningly beautiful. Lots of pictures at this link.

This was taken less than five minutes later at marsh along Route 58. Both are part of the seven miles to the beach so the drive isn't too hard to take most days.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:20 PM

thank you so much!! I'm going right now to the web site.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,885 times
I cant answer your ? but i am interested in the same move as you, but im having trouble finding info. i would like to be near the beach, and i am working in a hospital operating room as a sterile core tech.. im having trouble finding job info and rental info , if you can help with any ideas youve found so far that would be great .. thanks lisa

Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 AM

Smile If you need rental info

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasbe View Post
I cant answer your ? but i am interested in the same move as you, but im having trouble finding info. i would like to be near the beach, and i am working in a hospital operating room as a sterile core tech.. im having trouble finding job info and rental info , if you can help with any ideas youve found so far that would be great .. thanks lisa
There are a tremendous number of rental properties on the coast. You can choose from month to month to annual.

A Google search for "Crystal Coast Rentals" will get you lots of names or feel free to send me a note, and I'll point you in the right direction.

If you want to be near the coast and close to the beaches and hospitals, in the southern area, you would pick either the Crystal Coast with New Bern, Morehead City and Jacksonville having hospitals or head for Wilmington which is a much bigger area.

Nags Head also has a hospital but I know nothing about it.

While the online version of the Carteret County News isn't very robust, it does carry the complete classifieds.

The Jacksonville paper has a better online presence.

New Bern's paper also has a good online version.

Good luck finding the info that you need.

-David Sobotta

Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 AM

49 posts, read 250,645 times
Lisasbe,I recently moved to New Bern and had a job lined up when I got here. I am impressed with the availability of healthcare here, so you should have no trouble finding a job. Your best bet is to go directly to the hospital website. There are jobs posted on other forums, but only a few select... I believe the hospital in Jacksonville area is called Onslow Memorial. New Bern is Craven Regional Medical Center. Not sure about Morehead, but google Morehead City and you can find it on one of the informational websites.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 AM

This is the link to the Craven Regional Medical Center

The one in Morehead City is Carteret General Hospital.

Lastly this is the link for Onslow Memorial in Jacksonville.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:08 PM

THanks silty1, and lisabe. I haven't looked into hospitals for jobs yet, still trying to get a feel for the area before I take some time to actually go there and look around. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Thank you too, real estate agent!!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 PM

830 posts, read 866,206 times
Default Question?

I am looking to move to a warmer climate but I would like to invest as little money as possible where ever I move in case I don't like it. I would rent but my problem is I have a BIG family. My daughter who is 11 YO, myself and 5 beautiful cats!!! Plus Buddy our ****zu.

How can I move to NC with my whole family? Would a condo allow this many pets? If yes, can they go outside? I don't know if this is a dumb question but I am worried to sell my house here and move to NC buy a 300K house and not like it and have to sit with all my money tied up there. I would like to keep my house here in MA till I know I want to stay down south.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and please don't suggest finding homes for my pet because they are family! Thank you ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina