Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times

Advertisements

My parents used to take us to a place called Red Star Fish Camp when we were kids..
I think it was near the coast . I remember a river and cabins we stayed in..It was a favorite trip of mine but
I don't know where it was exactly..

Does nayone know about this camp??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 02:51 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My parents used to take us to a place called Red Star Fish Camp when we were kids..
I think it was near the coast . I remember a river and cabins we stayed in..It was a favorite trip of mine but

I searched and found a reference in a genealogy forum (from 2003) to a Red Star Fish Camp near the town of Atkinson. I could have been on the Black River on the border of Pender County. (A friend used to fish the Black River, and it was good fishing.) I believe the comment refers to the Moores Creek Battleground. Does this sound like your spot???

Here's the link, and some text: Re: Wallace, Sherman, Barnhill, Horrell, Woocock, Henry

Posted by: Ottis L. King (ID *****6939) Date: May 20, 2003 at 15:56:59
In Reply to: Re: Wallace, Sherman, Barnhill, Horrell, Woocock, Henry by William Barnhill of 214

Thanks.
The thought just came to me. There is a small cemetery leaving Red Star Fish Camp going towards NC 210. It is on the right.

The larger cemetery, if you stand on the steps of the old church, looking 45 degrees to the right, across the woods. I doubt it is more than a half mile to mile. I lived in Atkinson for eight hears, Atkinson Baptist Church and have been to the Point Caswell Cemetery. There is a Simpson Cemetery between Point Caswell and Atkinson, but down the road towards the Battleground.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 PM

Thanks Goldenage ...

I found this ad in 1977 in an online newspaper ...It was to sell a camp called Red Star ..
We probbaly went before that , maybe even late 60's..

Star-News - Google News Archive Search

Old 08-05-2012, 12:41 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
It's nice to remember the simple pleasures of our youth. My husband says there are still old places along the Black River where fishermen hang out.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,097 times
Default The red star fishing camp, atkinston, nc

Greetings to all who seek to know a little more about the RED STAR FISHING CAMP on the Black River... My Grandmother was employed there for many many years at the Camp as the cleaning lady. I recall the owner perhaps he was??? whose name was Mr. Charlie. He also had a granddaughter who visited from some where else during the Summers. Her name was Dina. Myself and my cousin as young children during the 1950's walked t to work with my Grandmother who lived nearby. We spent many Summer months with our Grandmother who still worked there when she died in 1965.. As children we had great times there and we would even get in the paddle boats that were anchored and drift out...Oh yes our family still lives in the area and we are still a part of the Point Caswell Church family....

Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,097 times
Greetings to all who seek to know a little more about the RED STAR FISHING CAMP on the Black River... My Grandmother was employed there for many many years at the Camp as the cleaning lady. I recall the owner perhaps he was??? whose name was Mr. Charlie. He also had a granddaughter who visited from some where else during the Summers. Her name was Dina. Myself and my cousin as young children during the 1950's walked t to work with my Grandmother who lived nearby. We spent many Summer months with our Grandmother who still worked there when she died in 1965.. As children we had great times there and we would even get in the paddle boats that were anchored and drift out...Oh yes our family still lives in the area and we are still a part of the Point Caswell Church family....

Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Miss Faye,

Thank you so much for that interesting history ...

I loved that place ..I remember the cabins has knot holes in the walls so my cousins and I had fun spying into the kitchen from the bedrooms..

I remember trying to catch minnows on the riverbank and that a snake fell into my dad & uncle's boat from a
tree..

Old 09-03-2017, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,092 times
Default Red Star Camp Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

Yes I know Red Star very well. My grandmother used to run the store there. My parents managed the cabin rentals. Sadly I think now it is gone being destroyed by hurricane Floyd in 1999. I miss the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina