U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,486 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Iowa, and I am considering a move to Greenville, NC for a job. The job would be a descent pay raise and I've always though living so close to the ocean would bring an endless amount of things to do and fun/ laid back people to hang out with. However, after reading some threads on this site, I've become more than hesitant about my perception of Greenville. People on here often refer to the city as a "ghetto" and that there's nothing to do. Is this true, or is this just one of the many negative threads on this site that misrepresents the city? This move is a huge deal for me as I would be leaving behine my family, friends, and any chance of starting up my own business. If I moved, Greenville would probably be a place I would stay for a long time. So, what the real scoop on this town? Is it really as bad as people make it out to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhawk45 View Post
I currently live in Iowa, and I am considering a move to Greenville, NC for a job.
Imagine Clinton IA... but with less pizazz.

In other threads I've recommended Iowa to job hunters.
Not Clinton of course... but the Quads and Des Moines.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,635,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhawk45 View Post
I currently live in Iowa, and I am considering a move to Greenville, NC for a job. The job would be a descent pay raise and I've always though living so close to the ocean would bring an endless amount of things to do and fun/ laid back people to hang out with.
Greenville's like 90 minutes from the nearest beach. Sure that's a lot closer than Iowa, but it's not like it's a beach community. It's a big farm town with a college and hospital. But hey, can't be any less boring than Iowa I'd imagine, and in this economy a good paying job is a good paying job.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:22 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,057,911 times
yea greenville isn't close to the beach. i dont know anything about iowa to compare, but i hated greenville. however you do have a good job offer, and one of my main issues with greenville was its extreme economic slump. it is a college town that also has a pretty significant population of lower class individuals. there is a little bit of industry in healthcare and education, but overall there isnt much else going on. its also really crowded and trafficy, which was always dumb to me because there's nowhere to go lol. it makes sense, though. it is a city surrounded by 50+ miles of a bunch of nothing in any direction, so for many people greenville is the big city.

if the job is really good i would still seriously consider it. i'm sure you will be able to meet at least a few good friends in the area. housing is also very cheap.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 PM

3,284 posts, read 5,429,649 times
Although I dislike Greenville myself, that's mostly because I'm from a much larger region and I'm young so it's not really for me. Greenville isn't ghetto but just like any other city it has ghetto areas, and at certain times the mall can look like a gang hangout. There is a bit more in Greenville than just a college and Hosptial but those are the main aspects that make Greenville a decent place to live. Greenville brands itself as being close to the beach, but it's not but that doesn't mean the beach isnt far way, it's just not something very common for us. For fun, plenty of us head to Raleigh which is about 50 minutes away.

If your interested in shopping its very basic, a few big box stores such as Target, Belk (which is a store that is like Macy's sort of), and etc. The city residents akes great pride in its chain restaurant, so if your interested in a variety of foods then its pretty much covered there. Traffic is a problem and as brocco stated most people are headed to nowhere here for some reason. If you're interested in the demographic make up, then I'd say it feels about 50% Caucasian, 40% African American, and 10% other, but that's just my perception, the real numbers may vary. I would imagine life wouldn't be too different in Greenville than in Iowa. If youre looking to rent, you can get a pretty nice condo/apartment for about $750 a month. I will say Greenville does have pretty nice homes, that are affordable if you're in the health field here.

For fun, it all depends on your age. Greenville has a few nightclubs, bars, country clubs, etc, but it's nothing here that will really "wow" you. So if you want real fun, make friends here, travel to the beach, Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilimington, etc for fun.

I hope this helped, if you have any other questions just ask because I'm just stating anything that comes off my head.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 AM

232 posts, read 398,075 times
Make a trip. Dont make a life changing decision from internet posts

Old 08-03-2012, 03:36 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,037,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
Absolutely! And take a drive to Atlantic Beach (1.5 hours each way) and Nags Head (2.5 hours each way) and ask yourself how often would you make that trip? There's really no half-way-to-the-beach town to live in (unless you like very small retirement towns) and be able to work in Greenville. If it's close proximity to the ocean for frequent visits, than Wilmington is what you're looking for, but that also is a 2.5 hour drive from Greenville.

And while Greenville has some sketchy areas, it is not ghetto, although some of our residents wouldn't be out of place in one! Greenville/Winterville has over 100,000 people, about a third are college-aged and party a lot because there is not much else to do. For a big town, we're kind of an anomaly in a lot of different ways.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:43 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,102,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
And stay several days if possible.

We moved from the suburbs of Portland, OR to Greenville for a job in 2005. I grew up in NY state and had lived in southern CA, southern NV, and southern UT before Portland; the interview was my first ever visit to the South. I don't think Greenville is as bad as many people make it out to be. There are nice areas; beach is relatively close; cost of living is reasonable. It has a fair amount of activities for a city its size - much more to do than it would if it weren't for ECU. But be prepared for culture shock. It might take a while to "fit in", depending on the culture at a new job and if/where you decide to attend church (for a diverse but Bible-based nondenominational church, I recommend you check out Reimage Church if you are interested).

Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM

77 posts, read 130,594 times
The Wikipedia page for Waterloo, IA seems fairly compatible to the Greenville area, albeit with somewhat less culture in Greenville. I would imagine that most people from Iowa are used to living either in a small, somewhat isolated city or a rural area, which is what Greenville basically feels like to me.

People that transplant here from large (500k+) metro areas, which represent a lot of the complainers on this board (including myself), are quite annoyed by the constant refrain from the locals of "Just go to Raleigh." Maybe we don't want to drive 3 hrs round-trip and pay $35 in gas to go to a decent shopping mall or museum or independent movie. Maybe people who grew up here can accept that drive, but its pretty frustrating.

With regards to the crime, the Greenville area is generally very safe. I think what people are most surprised about is that there is any significant violent and/or property crime and/or gang activity in a city of only 80,000; or that there are any unpleasant areas that you should probably avoid after dark, and so forth.

The beach likewise is too far to visit more frequently than on the weekends, and the nearest beach is not very developed (if that makes a difference to you).

The social activities here seem to be setup for single college people and married couples with children. There is no significant young professional nightlife scene here, if that's what you are interested in.

Cost of living is probably similar to somewhat more expensive than Iowa. Public schools are OK to meh from what I can tell.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 PM

283 posts, read 453,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_md View Post
People that transplant here from large (500k+) metro areas, which represent a lot of the complainers on this board (including myself), are quite annoyed by the constant refrain from the locals of "Just go to Raleigh." Maybe we don't want to drive 3 hrs round-trip and pay $35 in gas to go to a decent shopping mall or museum or independent movie. Maybe people who grew up here can accept that drive, but its pretty frustrating.
The problem is that almost no small towns have the ability to support whatever urban people consider a decent shopping mall. The fact that Greenville has a Fresh Market is unusual compared to many other cities of the same size. The people are just being pragmatic, saying that if you need those things, you're going to have to go to Raleigh.

Yes, Greenville SC may have more, but it also is on the route from Asheville to Columbia, as well as Atlanta to Charlotte. It also has a major industrial player in BMW. Greenville is on the way from Raleigh to pretty much nothing. It's not even the route to the beach from Raleigh. While Grady White is a nice company, it isn't BMW, and doesn't have the international appeal that BMW has.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I-95 had been made through Greenville instead of Wilson. But the fact of the matter is that Greenville NC, like so many farming communities in the midwest, is simply a spot in the middle that isn't on the direct route to anywhere, and never will be. Sure, the community will grow some, but even New Bern has remained stagnant over time and has much more of a Greenville, SC feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina