U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 9,172 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm moving to Wilmington, NC from New York in just a few weeks. I just recently graduated college and I'm looking for a place to live. I don't know anyone there or much about the city so any help is appreciated.

I'd like to live in a 1 bedroom apartment, condo, rental home, anything for preferably not more than $850/month. I would love to be near water or have views of water - whether it be a place on the sound, marsh, river, or close to the ocean. I don't know if I'm asking for to much here - if so, please let me know. I also want to be in a safe area. I've looked into some Carolina beach places and found condos with great views of the water for relatively inexpensive; however, I'm not sure if that's a good place to live for a young single person just moving to the city looking to meet new people.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (names of apartment complexes, etc . . . ) ! I'm in over my head here with little to no knowledge of the city.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:06 PM

48 posts, read 90,615 times
Start with sites like craigslist, zillow , trulia and a local property management co. Most realtors do not work in rental sales as there is no $$$ in it. But with all these tools you can be effective if you do it systematically. Century 21 Sawyer has a ton of rental properties--I"m not associated with them in any way. And often they will have something coming to the market that is not listed anywhere in the internet yet.

You'll love it here if you love the beach. Quality of life here is great and cost of living low.

I found one on Zillow 300 Spencer in Carolina Beach for 700/month overlooking intracoastal waterway. Usually 3rd party sites are more useful for rentals than the MLS is.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,013,595 times
Where you live all depends on where you'll be working, and how far you want to drive. Traffic can be rough sometimes.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 9,172 times
Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it! I'll be working near downtown Wilmington but I've lived in New York and DC so I understand bad traffic and a bad commute and I really don't mind it.

What's Carolina Beach like for young people? Is it dead in the off season? It definitely looks like the best choice for what I'm looking for but at the same time if the best bars/going out spots are in Wilmington I don't know if it's worth the $50 cab ride every weekend. I've been searching apartment complexes in Wilmington but not coming up with anything great so far.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM

48 posts, read 90,615 times
@cloverdale3, where did you live in DC? I moved here from Northern Virginia so when they say they have traffic here I say, "Where? I haven't seen any."

Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 AM

431 posts, read 1,013,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale3 View Post
Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it! I'll be working near downtown Wilmington but I've lived in New York and DC so I understand bad traffic and a bad commute and I really don't mind it.

What's Carolina Beach like for young people? Is it dead in the off season? It definitely looks like the best choice for what I'm looking for but at the same time if the best bars/going out spots are in Wilmington I don't know if it's worth the $50 cab ride every weekend. I've been searching apartment complexes in Wilmington but not coming up with anything great so far.
A lot of the businesses in CB close up for the winter. Not all, but most. Have you looked at moving downtown? There are a lot of homes and apartments for rent down there. It's not right on the water, but you would be close to work, the river, and nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina