U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM

18 posts, read 61,584 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving our family to wilmington. We currently live in coastal Delaware and although there are some positives we do not want to stay here for many reasons. We are from Baltimore and long for a more city-like atmospere. However we have 3 small children and do enjoy the beach. Wilmington seems like a good choice for us. We are nurses and can basically move anywhere. We are worried that we can never find pictures of downtown wilmington. Can anyone compare Wilmington with another small city? Is it like Annapolis,Md? Is it diverse ? Are the schools good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 02:30 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlunn View Post
We are worried that we can never find pictures of downtown wilmington.
Wilmington, NC Photo Album - All Pictures

or you can check out
Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/ - broken link)
Photobucket

and type "Wilmington, NC" into the search box. All three of those links have pictures of downtown Wilmington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlunn View Post
We are from Baltimore and long for a more city-like atmospere.
If you live downtown, it is walkable, and has an urban feel. Outside of downtown Wilmington, it is very suburban: strip malls, housing developments, etc.

Wilmington is pretty small. I wouldn't compare it to Baltimore.

Quote:
Can anyone compare Wilmington with another small city? Is it like Annapolis,Md?
Downtown, it looks sort of like Key West, FL or Savannah, GA. Outside of downtown, it looks like everywhere else in America. Wrightsville Beach looks like something from Florida.

Quote:
Is it diverse ? Are the schools good?
I'm not familiar with the public schools. What I'm told is that they are hit-or-miss, and not consistently good.

As far as diversity goes, what type of diversity? Political? Sexual Orientation? Racial/Ethnic? Religious? Economic? I think you could approach all those as seperate issues. I will say that in general, downtown Wilmington is more diverse than most places in the south. I've met lots of people from different countries, Yankees, liberals, homosexuals, Buddhists, Jews, Catholics - basically, Wilmington seems to have a much wider variety of people that most southern cities do.

Last edited by anonymous; 10-09-2007 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,361,370 times
how ironic that you are from baltimore and are considering moving to wilmington. I live in wilmington and am considering moving to baltimore. have you ever been to fredericksburg, VA? the downtown part reminds me a lot of that except fredericksburg is much smaller. maybe a little like annapolis. there are some decent schools, but north carolina ranks 49th in public school systems.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,269 times
i'm looking to move to wilmington nc and wondering if there are any equestrian communities? nice stables? riding trails? best apt complex in downtown wilmington walking distance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina