U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 01:03 PM

18 posts, read 61,546 times

Advertisements

We are an inter-racial family. Do we need to worry about moving to Wilmington? What are race relations like ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
demographic information available here on city data

Wilmington, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15756.png (broken link)

Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,139,491 times
I really don't think people have problem with inter-racial families in Wilmington. There are all kind of people from all over that moves to Wilmington. So I really don't think your going to have any problems there.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:26 PM

18 posts, read 116,325 times
Ok, I am going to answer this one b/c it doesn't seem like it got a fair shake. Granted, you should know about me so you can decide how much value to put on my response. I'm late 20s white female born/raised southerner who is a proud liberal. I work in a county where caucasians are the minority in most of the schools and african americans and latinos are the majority. My supervisor and the owner of my company are both african american women... At my last job in wilmington, my supervisor was an african american woman. In grad school, my advisor/TA supervisor was an african american woman... In SC, my supervisor was an african american woman...

In my offices, there were/are no racial issues... we are harmonious and tolerant of each other...

In Wilmington, however, there is a STRONG undercurrent of racial tension. STRONG. Google "wilmington nc" and "race riot" to find the history of this town. Then, read current news stories... most recently, two college aged kids fought, one died... one white, one black... all those in charge brushed it under the rug with a total quickness b/c of the black/white issue...

just a few years ago, our DA was in the news and on the stand in court b/c of comments he made about a black male who killed a white female on campus...

b/c of my position, i work w/lawyers/professionals/social services/etc... I hear them when they think the public isn't looking... racial tension here is STRONG...

BUT... if you are lucky enough to find the pockets of peace and tolerance... and seek them out on purpose... then you'll be ok... nothing here is overt... sometimes, I wish it was more overt... b/c then, people couldn't hide from it anymore...

good luck w/your decision

Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 PM

18 posts, read 116,325 times
ps, i personally believe the bigger issue is class over race... far more people in poverty are treated w/disrespect and cruelty than people of a certain race... the government of this town acts blind to the needs of its neediest...

luckily, there are more than 400 npo's here that try and fill the void left behind by the old boys' network that runs the show here...

Old 12-18-2007, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,058 times
Default racial concerns

I moved here 10 years ago from up north and have a white daughter that lives with a black guy in Wilmington NC. And oh yes the racial problem is a big one. They will get looks and she has lost friends because of it. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Down here a white person can be friends with a black person, Just can't date them and heaven forbid marry them. The whites act like they are ok with a black guy to his face but behind his back call him a Ni@@er. I am so sick of it. And get this they all go to Church. I'm starting to think its a Baptist thing. I have told my daughter if they want to live together or then they need to think about moving back up north where its tolerated a little bit more than it is here. Just being honest and think you need to know the truth !!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria62 View Post
I moved here 10 years ago from up north and have a white daughter that lives with a black guy in Wilmington NC. And oh yes the racial problem is a big one. They will get looks and she has lost friends because of it. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Down here a white person can be friends with a black person, Just can't date them and heaven forbid marry them. The whites act like they are ok with a black guy to his face but behind his back call him a Ni@@er. I am so sick of it. And get this they all go to Church. I'm starting to think its a Baptist thing. I have told my daughter if they want to live together or then they need to think about moving back up north where its tolerated a little bit more than it is here. Just being honest and think you need to know the truth !!
This statement is ridiculous and I do find it personally offensive. I am Baptist myself. Are you saying all white people, and Baptists are racist? Sounds to me like you are the prejudice one.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirl2008 View Post
Ok, I am going to answer this one b/c it doesn't seem like it got a fair shake. Granted, you should know about me so you can decide how much value to put on my response. I'm late 20s white female born/raised southerner who is a proud liberal. I work in a county where caucasians are the minority in most of the schools and african americans and latinos are the majority. My supervisor and the owner of my company are both african american women... At my last job in wilmington, my supervisor was an african american woman. In grad school, my advisor/TA supervisor was an african american woman... In SC, my supervisor was an african american woman...

In my offices, there were/are no racial issues... we are harmonious and tolerant of each other...

In Wilmington, however, there is a STRONG undercurrent of racial tension. STRONG. Google "wilmington nc" and "race riot" to find the history of this town. Then, read current news stories... most recently, two college aged kids fought, one died... one white, one black... all those in charge brushed it under the rug with a total quickness b/c of the black/white issue...

just a few years ago, our DA was in the news and on the stand in court b/c of comments he made about a black male who killed a white female on campus...

b/c of my position, i work w/lawyers/professionals/social services/etc... I hear them when they think the public isn't looking... racial tension here is STRONG...

BUT... if you are lucky enough to find the pockets of peace and tolerance... and seek them out on purpose... then you'll be ok... nothing here is overt... sometimes, I wish it was more overt... b/c then, people couldn't hide from it anymore...

good luck w/your decision

Please, race riot...uhh back in 1898 over 100 years ago. I guess these same people are still running the show down there right?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM

39 posts, read 198,566 times
Wilmington does have a lot of racism and the 1898 race riots still cause tension. Just last year the North Carolina Senate officially apologized for the riot and many here are pushing for a tax payout to familes of the victims. That being said, there are alot of new people moving here and that brings more diversity.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,640,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Please, race riot...uhh back in 1898 over 100 years ago. I guess these same people are still running the show down there right?
I could be wrong; but I thought she was talking about what happened in 1971, not the 1898 riots. I'm not sure if "Riot" is the right word for what happened in 1971, but it was definitely some sort of racial problem.

I wasn't born at the time, but I currently live about 3 blocks away from where some sniper was allegedly picking off firefighters.

http://www.lib.unc.edu/ncc/ref/nchis...005/index.html

Quote:
http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...5008/-1/news28
In 1971, Wilmington trembled on the edge of race war. Seventeen years after the U.S. Supreme Court had outlawed segregation, the city’s schools were finally attempting

to integrate. Arson, assault, sniper fire and several killings were the response. Black militants hurled bricks and bottles at passing motorists. Angry white mobs met in Hugh MacRae Park, near my family’s home in leafy Lincoln Forest, brandishing weapons and Confederate flags. Sgt. Leroy Gibson, the ex-Marine who led the local “Rights of White People” organization, routinely threatened to clog the Cape Fear River with dead black people if the “race-mixing” continued.

Blacks were not the only North Carolinians whose lives Gibson threatened. A large crowd of his followers rallied in front of the home of the superintendent of schools, Heyward Bellamy. The mob had found this white Southerner guilty of trying to make integration work. As they threatened to lynch him, the gang cut Bellamy’s power lines and slashed his tires so he could not escape with his family. What saved them from the white supremacist militia, recalled his son Frank, who was in third grade at the time, was Bellamy’s threat to use “the sawed-off shotgun my uncle the highway patrolman had given him.”

The violence in the early 1970s knew no color, though it was all about the color line. Truckloads of white vigilantes roared through the city, spraying bullets in black neighborhoods and shooting an African-American minister who appealed for peace. Black snipers fired at police officers from rooftops downtown. Someone murdered two security guards at Williston school. Police killed a black teenager near Gregory Congregational Church. Six hundred National Guard troops patrolled the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina