U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 9,445 times

Advertisements

I realized that people have probably asked this question before, but the only thread I found was 5 years old and I'm sure things have changed since them. I am in Elizabeth City and currently with T-Mobile, whose coverage is terrible. I have no reception at all in most places east of US 17 and no 3G anywhere except the middle of Currituck Sound and points north or at the beach, which is great but I'm not there much.

My contract is up next month and I would like to switch. I think the choice is between Sprint and Verizon. I hate AT&T, having used them before. I don't want to go with Verizon because they are so much more expensive and Sprint still has unlimited data. I would like to go with Sprint, but I don't know how their coverage is here. I don't care much about 3G when I am out working in the hinterlands, but I do want it in most towns or at my office and I do want to make and receive phone calls anywhere if possible.

The people in my office who have Verizon seem to have good coverage everywhere. I haven't inquired about Sprint yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM

58 posts, read 42,310 times
Honestly US Cellular has the best coverage in Eastern NC. Verizon, which uses the same towers, is about as good, though their plans tend to be more expensive like you said. However they get newer phones than US Cellular.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,445 times
I hadn't thought about US Cellular. I don't really care about the phone so much as I do about the coverage and cost.

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,861,348 times
Yeah go US Cellular or Verizon in your area.

- T-Mobile has no 3G in most of Eastern NC
- AT&T is fast and as expensive as Verizon but Verizon has better coverage
- Sprint has spotty coverage as well and they have 3G but it is terribly slow

Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,820,411 times
It used to b solely Alltell and Us Cellular for rural coverage in eastern NC, the Verzion bought out Alltell. That's th eonly reason their coverage is good. Most Alltell customers, my parents being one of them weren't fond of he change. If you don't do much traveling.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM

33 posts, read 57,250 times
att service and coverage sucks in greenville, nc

Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big77wick View Post
att service and coverage sucks in greenville, nc
Works fine for me!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 AM

286 posts, read 552,672 times
AT&T is fine in the city but once you leave town it's not so good in the sticks.

If you travel at ALL get Verizon. Contrary to their name, US Cell does not have coverage in many areas. If you rarely leave eastern NC then they would be a good choice.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,040,450 times
My daughter and I both have Sprint. My phone only utilizes 2G while my daughter uses 3G. We both get good service unless we go out into the boondocks somewhere. We both travel I-95 a lot too.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 AM

917 posts, read 2,091,460 times
Personally, I LOVE Straight Talk from walmart. $48 a month for unlimited calls and text, they use Verizon towers and I've had great service all over the state. They also have the fancy high tech phones for a fraction of the price, and NO contract!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina