Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,237 times

Advertisements

I am considering transferring from Clemson University to ECU, mainly due to financial reasons, but also because ECU offers a major more suited to me that no other college in my state offers. My question is concerning family life in the Greenville area. I have a husband who is a fine dining chef as well as two young children. My oldest is autistic so he would need special needs placement in school. We would make a complete relocation because we would be there a while, so we plan on becoming residents. The area we are currently in is mainly agriculture/college town. We do have a blossomin city (Greenville, SC) nearby.
That being said, would a move to ECU:
be a big culture shock?
how are taxes and real estate market?
are there any opportunities for employment?
and are the public schools pretty good (in general and special education)?
Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 12:29 AM

505 posts, read 2,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmorga View Post
I am considering transferring from Clemson University to ECU, mainly due to financial reasons, but also because ECU offers a major more suited to me that no other college in my state offers. My question is concerning family life in the Greenville area. I have a husband who is a fine dining chef as well as two young children. My oldest is autistic so he would need special needs placement in school. We would make a complete relocation because we would be there a while, so we plan on becoming residents. The area we are currently in is mainly agriculture/college town. We do have a blossomin city (Greenville, SC) nearby.
That being said, would a move to ECU:
be a big culture shock?
how are taxes and real estate market?
are there any opportunities for employment?
and are the public schools pretty good (in general and special education)?
Thanks a bunch!

Greenville, NC is exactly an agriculture/College town...so no culture shock there...lol

Greenville is mostly flat, but the residential neighborhoods downtown are a bit hilly. Taxes are fairly low, less than Greenville, SC I bet.....not sure though.

Not sure about the schools....I hear they are bad though.

I am sure some schools are better than others. If you make the move....be sure to move in an area with better schools.

Otherwise, I might see ya there....lol

I am thinking of going to ECU starting this spring myself. Already been accepted.....just got to make my mind up

Old 10-14-2007, 11:05 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,305,369 times
Have you visited or talked to anyone at the university yet? It isn't easy getting in, as the university accepts only a certain number of transfer students. That would be a logical first step before you decide to completely uproot your family. Another possibility: is the major one that is offered online, in part or completely? Plus, out of state tuition is expensive. Just some thoughts.....

Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 AM

I would not consider uprooting my family before actually being accepted into another college. As far as tuition goes, the out of state tuition would still be less than my in-state tuition at CU. That is one of the reasons I'm thinking about going to ECU. Right now, I'm looking at student loans that I won't be able to pay back. As far as the major goes, I haven't been able to find another BS in Public History in the neighboring states, and it is not offered online. Even if it was, I would still be facing higher tuition rates than in-state. This is not a whim and it is something that I am thinking through. That is the reason I am asking for input from locals.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:17 PM

954 posts, read 4,366,539 times
I grew up in Detroit MI, but lived in NC for 12 years. 5 years near Asheville and 7 in Greenville. I managed to make it there for 7 years. If ECU is your best bet educationally, I'd say do it. You don't have to stay there the rest of your life. I liked Western NC much better than Eastern NC. Not sure how that relates to your potential move, but just my personal taste.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. I had a discussion with my professors and I am going to finish my degree here at CU and try for as many scholarships as possible. I am still interested in going to the Greenville area, but it will be to go for grad school in a few years. I'll see you then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina