Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times

Advertisements

The schools in Winterville are very good. You should check out the sub-division of Manchester in Winterville you would be right outside of both [b]Middle and South Central HS[b]. Quite a few children, close knit sub-division and homes are in your price range. kelsie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
The schools in Winterville are very good. You should check out the sub-division of Manchester in Winterville you would be right outside of both [b]Middle and South Central HS[b]. Quite a few children, close knit sub-division and homes are in your price range. kelsie
The Chicod school district is the best in south-eastern Pitt Co. where most of the new growth is. I'm thinking the Winterville area falls in this district also; not sure. Lots of newer subdivisions (altho bumper to bumper and treeless) in your price range.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
The Chicod school district is the best in south-eastern Pitt Co. where most of the new growth is. I'm thinking the Winterville area falls in this district also; not sure. Lots of newer subdivisions (altho bumper to bumper and treeless) in your price range.
I haven't really seen much in the way of houses going up on the east side. They are building like crazy on the west side of Greenville though.

Winterville students attend one of 3 elementary schools. Wintergreen, WH Robinson or Creekside.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I haven't really seen much in the way of houses going up on the east side. They are building like crazy on the west side of Greenville though.

Winterville students attend one of 3 elementary schools. Wintergreen, WH Robinson or Creekside.
Actually, you are correct about most of the newer subdivisions going in on the south west side.. I just haven't been over there in quite awhile. I just remember the Winterville "boom" years. And even that's been awhile back.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
Actually, you are correct about most of the newer subdivisions going in on the south west side.. I just haven't been over there in quite awhile. I just remember the Winterville "boom" years. And even that's been awhile back.
I'm thinking (and always remember, I'm not being paid to think here) that the county is currently steering housing development towards the new schools in Winterville. Chicod is over capacity now and until they get the "new" school built, they're trying to steer residential towards Winterville.

The real shame is that Hope Middle sits underutilized due to the county caving into old school thinking at Chicod.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,261 times
Oh My Lord,
After reading some of these posts, I am more afraid and confused as ever. Here is our story. My oldest daughter (who wants to be a Pediatrician) will be attending either UNC-Chapel Hill or East Carolina University. Being the mother hen that I am, I am moving to North Carolina from South Carolina just to be near her. I am looking at both Rocky Mount and Greenville as possible places to live. Help me out please! And be honest, I want to know the truth. How are the schools in each area? Is it a safe place to raise teens? Stuff like that. I will also will be looking for work possibly in the transportation industry (truck driver, bus driver, etc)
Thanks

Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuHemingway View Post
Oh My Lord.... Being the mother hen that I am, I am moving to North Carolina from South Carolina just to be near her. I am looking at both Rocky Mount and Greenville as possible places to live.
Well, I hope you daughter gets into UNC at Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill has a vastly better school system for your other teenage child. I certainly would not move into either Greenville or Rocky Mount because of the crime issues.

If you must move near Greenville, I suggest looking at the safest suburb of Greenville, which is apparently Winterville. You might also look at Johnston County which is a growing suburb of Raleigh and is near the transportation corridors at I-95.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-29-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Default Rocky Mount in the News

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I certainly would not move into either Greenville or Rocky Mount because of the crime issues.
If you every had ideas about moving the Rocky Mount, please read this about a gunman spaying bullets at a group of teens with an automatic weapon: Boy clinging to life after 4 shot at NC church | News - WCTI NewsChannel 12

Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuHemingway View Post
Oh My Lord,
After reading some of these posts, I am more afraid and confused as ever. Here is our story. My oldest daughter (who wants to be a Pediatrician) will be attending either UNC-Chapel Hill or East Carolina University. Being the mother hen that I am, I am moving to North Carolina from South Carolina just to be near her. I am looking at both Rocky Mount and Greenville as possible places to live. Help me out please! And be honest, I want to know the truth. How are the schools in each area? Is it a safe place to raise teens? Stuff like that. I will also will be looking for work possibly in the transportation industry (truck driver, bus driver, etc)
Thanks
Not sure if I understand the post...would your daughter be going to high school in either Rocky Mount or Greenville so that she can get into either UNC or ECU for the purpose of being a pediatrician?

If that is what you are saying, I would leave Rocky Mount off your list. There are some nice neighborhoods in Rocky Mount, but the high schools aren't the best around.

Greenville's high schools are actually pretty good. Rose is more the city school and is more diverse than South Central or Conley. I would recommend Conley district, which is more of the eastern part of Greenville/Simpson area.

Someone posted some crime stats recently on the Greenville development thread...

Greenville Area Developments

Greenville is less than both New Bern and Wilmington in both categories...and you can see where Rocky Mount is.

Finally, it should be noted that about half of the doctors that graduate from ECU med school got their undergrad degrees from UNC-CH. I have kind of made the point before that getting into UNC is not the end all be all when it comes to being a doctor, you could have gone to ECU and done it too...as many of those that did go to UNC still have their degree from ECU.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Before doing any of this, you would probably want to talk to an actual pediatrician about the job outlook for their field. I mean a practicing pediatrician, not overly rosy government statistics or starry eyed students. It's not the 80's anymore and the health care field is not the guarantee of affluence that it once was.

ECU school of medicine was originally founded because ENC was an under served area lacking general practitioners. A drive around Greenville will reveal this is certainly no longer the case and in fact the local economy revolves around health care and the university. One may even say the market there is saturated. A friend of mine was a graduate of ECU med school in the early 80's and he was complaining about the direction the field was going maybe 13-14 years ago.. He since left the area for a very rural area due to competition.

ECU med school used to admit exclusively in state students although I don't know if this is still the case.

Most people agree that academically, UNC-CH has a better reputation than ECU. UNC-ch also skews heavily toward in state applicants.

As was already said, you can eliminate Rocky Mount from consideration due to crime and generally poor schools. Good luck in whatever you choose to do, but personally I wouldn't leave a stable job for an unknown area just to micromanage the life of a college aged son/daughter.. They got to learn sometime right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina