Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,036 times

Advertisements

Hi, I might be doing a job transfer to one of these towns. I am trying to do research on both of these towns. It looks like that Rocky Mount is not the best area for my family. I am trying to get opinions on this. I have a 3 year old son and trying for another. I want to be in a neighborhood that is going to be very well off for my child but not too expensive. We are looking to buy a home around 100,000-150,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,224,006 times
This needs to be in the Coastal section.

And we need more specifics. Where is the job. What are the hours? etc etc

But, most likely, of those two cities, Greenville is preferred 99.999% of the time. One is growing, one is dying.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,728,601 times
Yes, in general, if you had a 50-50 choice between those two, pick Greenville. Rocky Mount used to be a wonderful little "Mayberry RFD" town (I originally come from a small town near there) but in th past 20 years or so, it's really gone down the drain, sorry to say. Greenville is a university town with a great medical school/hospital and now a dental school, meaning an educated population, meaning better kids in the schools with your children, etc etc. I have not spent much time in Rocky Mount in a long time, but unfortunately it more and more is becoming associated with crime--perhaps being right on I-95 is related (drug trafficking routes?), in addition to the decline of so many erstwhile industries and farming.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,737,548 times
Definitely Greenville. Ask us about specific neighborhoods/subdivisions you become interested in, most of the better ones are in the east and south parts of town, plus Winterville (east of the RR tracks). We don't have a great downtown, but we're slowly working on it. If you see any posts about Greenville crime, it's criminal on criminal like most places. In your price range, you're probably looking at the high end of your range if you want a house. You can definitely buy a nice condo or townhome in your range. Another possibility could be live in Washington and work in Greenville, about a 30 minute door-to-door commute.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,484 times
I live 40 min from Greenville on the "inner banks" country. Having moved from downtown Atlanta in "the best living intown" I found Greenville to be a toilet with a hospital and a college. Rocky mount is the septic tank

Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,737,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadness View Post
I live 40 min from Greenville on the "inner banks" country. Having moved from downtown Atlanta in "the best living intown" I found Greenville to be a toilet with a hospital and a college. Rocky mount is the septic tank
You cannot compare anywhere in NC to Atlanta, except for Charlotte maybe. Greenville has had its growing pains, but most of its problems are largely based on perception. I lived 25 miles away and then into Greenville. The OP should consider the opinions of Greenville's residents more that of people who don't live here. Also, the OP is supporting his/her family with this move, so what good does it do come here and compare Atlanta to eastern NC, which is largely rural?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM

278 posts, read 575,347 times
I would suggest you look at Wilson, it is 18 miles from Rocky Mount and 36 from Greenville, and 38 miles from Raleigh. We are involved in real estate and have seen many people that lived in Rocky Mount moving to Wilson and commuting back for work. There are several neighborhoods that fit your price range, and great areas to raise a family.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,068,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadness View Post
Wow, that's kind harsh coming from someone that's never lived there. I hope you never have to travel to that toilet.

I've visited New York City multiple times and while Greenville is certainly no New York City, I wouldn't call it a toilet.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,222,704 times
Greenville is like any "city", you have your good places and bad. With a growing family I would suggest checking out Winterville, which is on the outskirts of Greenville. You can still get a single family home in your price range. Winterville is very family oriented.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,036 times
How are the school districts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina