Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,573 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate our business from Long Island. My grown single daughters would probably move with us also. Since my parents are elderely, I would want easy access back to Long Island (probably by Southwest airlines) on a regular basis. So basically, here is what we are looking to find out:

1) Would need an area that had light industry close to our home with easy commute.
2) Would like to buy a house in a small town with a nice main street
3) Would love an area that had a funky artsy feel
4) Under 1 hour to the airport
5) Access the theatre, restaurants, concerts
6) How long is the swimming season? Would like to be close to water.
7) How severe is the winter?
7) Not looking for a big house or a lot of property
8) Priced about $350,000 for a 3-4 bedroom ranch but would pay up 500,000 for a view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribose View Post
Since my parents are elderely, I would want easy access back to Long Island (probably by Southwest airlines) on a regular basis.
Sorry to tell you, but Southwest only leaves out of Raleigh-Durham airport. There are only two nonstop flights from Wilmington to New York (Newark). The other coastal towns like Jacksonville have direct flights only to Atlanta and Charlotte, so it would be 1 or 2 stops to New York.

Also, about the only city on the coast with significant theater or concerts is Wilmington. We are lacking anywhere that is funky or artsy, except possibly New Bern. You might need to look at the Triangle for that. Small towns on the coast are "functional" and geared toward the military or agriculture. Morehead City and Wilmington have "light industry".

Your housing price range is fine, and achievable. The weather is mild, and you could go in the ocean in October. However, you might think about your priorities. The Charleston, SC area would better suite your need for culture, restaurants and flight connections. You might look at Summerville, SC for an artsy, funky town with a nice main street.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-28-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 AM

196 posts, read 575,930 times
While it is on the other side of North Carolina I would think Asheville would meet some of your desires. Not the ocean proximity but it is an artsy, funky kind of city.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
I am no expert on this, but I think a small-business web site would be a better place to determine the relative merits on North Carolina vs South Carolina on "business friendly" criteria. I suspect that South Carolina would win.

One further comment. Wilmington has 2 non-stop flights to Newark, whereas Charleston has 2 Southwest non-stop flights to New York and 9 Delta or United non-stop flights to New York. Most of these go to LaGuardia or JFK. So the connections for getting to Long Island are far superior from Charleston. You might also check the towns on the West Ashley side of Charleston for attractive places to live.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Sorry to tell you, but Southwest only leaves out of Raleigh-Durham airport. There are only two nonstop flights from Wilmington to New York (Newark). The other coastal towns like Jacksonville have direct flights only to Atlanta and Charlotte, so it would be 1 or 2 stops to New York.

Also, about the only city on the coast with significant theater or concerts is Wilmington. We are lacking anywhere that is funky or artsy, except possibly New Bern. You might need to look at the Triangle for that. Small towns on the coast are "functional" and geared toward the military or agriculture. Morehead City and Wilmington have "light industry".

Your housing price range is fine, and achievable. The weather is mild, and you could go in the ocean in October. However, you might think about your priorities. The Charleston, SC area would better suite your need for culture, restaurants and flight connections. You might look at Summerville, SC for an artsy, funky town with a nice main street.
Just wanted to correct that the airport in Jacksonville does have non-stop to Washington DC, but it's the same effect as far as going to New York.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,351 times
Also Beaufort won small town of the year in one poll:
America's Coolest Small Towns 2012 | Travel Deals, Travel Tips, Vacation Ideas | Budget Travel
Beaufort, NC named top 10 coolest small towns in America

When I think of Beafort I think of small busineses that have been ther forever like No-Name pizza ( No Name Pizza & Subs - Beaufort | Urbanspoon ) and The Fudge Factory ( Buy Fudge Online - The Fudge Factory: Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Pecan, Chocolate Walnut, Penuche, Vanilla, Double Peanut Butter, Rocky Road ,Fudge Factory the - Beaufort, NC ) that have been there for ages.

Also with the military in Havelock and Jacksonville, they have a mandate to buy from small businesses. Really the only thing coastal Carolina, from Carteret County sown to the SC border, is missing from what you are seeking is the culture aspect. In the past few months I've had to got Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh to see different concerts and shows. granted you may be able to find local productions on the coast, but next to no national ones.

Here is a site talking about some of the best small town in NC and SC.

Best Small Cities and Towns on The North Carolina Coast

Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 11,781 times
I recently relocated to Wilmington and am originally from the NY area. I feel very much at home here and joke about all of the NY accents I hear everywhere I go.
The climate is great- mild but not as hot as Florida. A lot of people retire here, and it has been on a number of best places lists including being very business friendly.
Nearby small towns include Wrightsville Beach and Leland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina