Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,726 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husbands employer may be relocating us to the Cape Hatteras area. We are not in a position to buy a house right now, are there rental properties anywhere that are not vacation rental prices? What options are there for living that is no more than a 30-45 minute commute?

Last edited by leavingCincy; 12-19-2012 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
I checked Realtor.com for rentals, and you are probably correct that there are mainly vacation homes within 45 minutes of Cape Hatteras. I did not look at Ocracoke because you need to catch a ferry. I also checked Craigslist, and there is a 2 bedroom apartment above a shop at milepost 65 for $1000/month. Would that work?

You have a few other options:
1. Negotiate with the employer to provide assistance in buying a home.
2. Start contacting the vacation home owners on VRBO.com to find one willing to rent year round.
3. Start contacting real estate agencies with houses for sale to see if any of their clients are willing to rent year-round.
4. Look further away at Manteo, where I have seen year-round rentals. Manteo is an hour and a quarter away, and I am not sure the road is open to normal traffic through the Pea Island washed out area.
5. Turn down the job relocation.

Personally, I would turn down the job unless the employer is willing to assist with a down-payment. You may need to provide the detailed evidence to them how difficult it will be to find housing.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-20-2012 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: Fifth option added

Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM

278 posts, read 577,040 times
Also check bank owned properties, I recently received information that way about a property in Cape Hatteras. It was on a house with 5 bedrooms and 5 baths, priced at $399,000. I know that is a vacation home, but it shows that there are some deals to be had, through banks. They may have something that if you could pick up payments in some way they could work with you. I do think you can find a property owner that would rent year around and a reasonable price, I'd call the realtors to help you with that.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM

61 posts, read 58,738 times
You need to call up the realty companies and ask for year-round rentals. If the job is actually located in Hatteras you need to be aware of the ongoing issues with HWY 12, which gets washed out by storms from time to time. When the road's out the island is only accessible by a ferry, which takes 2 1/2 hours to get there from the mainland in a town that itself is about 30 minutes from the beach area.

If the job is in one of the northernmost villages on Hatteras Island (Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo) it's possible to get there in about half an hour from south Nags Head, but again depending on the condition of HWY 12.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
There was just a report on the television news that highway 12 has bben re-opened, and that the temporary ferry service from Stumpy Point has stopped. Damaged section of NC Highway 12 on Outer Banks reopens for traffic ahead of Christmas

For the original poster: I hope the job is worth relocating for! The Outer Banks are beautiful, but there are challenges to living there.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
I would get your husbands company to help you. Everyone knows everyone there, and they SHOULD be able to point you in the right direction. Help find something you are able to live in, for the right price.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There was just a report on the television news that highway 12 has bben re-opened, and that the temporary ferry service from Stumpy Point has stopped. Damaged section of NC Highway 12 on Outer Banks reopens for traffic ahead of Christmas
...and it just re-flooded under 5 inches of water yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/NCDOTNC12

Apart from the New New Inlet after Isabel I can't remember when the road's been consistently wiped out for such a long period of time.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:05 AM

104 posts, read 240,556 times
They either need to move the road to the west a little ways, or build a low bridge over that area.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 PM

NCDOT's building at least one, probably two permanent bridges over the s-curve area as part of the Bonner Bridge replacement, similar to the old New Inlet bridge which used to cross the area. The pilings from that bridge are still visible from the highway.

NCDOT: Long-Term Solutions for N.C. 12 Breaches

Old 12-23-2012, 11:15 AM

104 posts, read 240,556 times
Thanks for the update. I don't keep tabs on things like that. It's nice to know what's going on.

Now back to the OP. Be prepared for culture shock. It is a lot different living on the OBX and specifically HI, then living in most of the rest of the US. You will be a long way from any stores your used to. As a whole the locals are friendly. Just get involved in the community some way and you will make friends quickly.

As some one else already said you might have to find a place in South Nags Head, Nags Head, or Manteo. It will be at least an hours drive one way, but finding a year round rental will be a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina