Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,661,210 times

Advertisements

East of I-95 you are going to pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,063,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy B View Post
I keep being told that we are in a hurricane set back zone???.......in Hampstead. I have been trying to find a policy while still living in Maine, so that has made it a little more difficult. So far.....$1,429 seems to be the best deal I can find on $182,000 (1500 sq. ft, built in 1999), $2,500 deductible! I appreciate all the advice and help, this is a new venture for us....until now, our biggest issue involving weather issues was many years ago when Maine was hit with a horrible ice storm, and many lost power for two weeks! We deal with snow....not hurricanes!
If you don't like that, don't even consider moving to either side of the Florida coast. People there would kill for a policy that cheap that actually pays off if needed.

I have a feeling that you have no idea of what kind of catastrophic damage a hurricane can do. And Hampstead is ground zero for any hurricanes that come up the coast. It's only a mile from salt water. Hampstead would certainly feel the full force of any hurricane that hits there.

Hurricane Irene struck Cape Lookout as a Cat 1 last August. It tracked about 50 miles to my east for 12 hours. It took months to clean up all of the debris and fallen trees in the municipalities in my county. There is still evidence of the hurricane out in the country here. Our one town here, Ayden, looked like a war zone with many 100+ year old trees down.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM

61 posts, read 114,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
If you don't like that, don't even consider moving to either side of the Florida coast. People there would kill for a policy that cheap that actually pays off if needed.

I have a feeling that you have no idea of what kind of catastrophic damage a hurricane can do. And Hampstead is ground zero for any hurricanes that come up the coast. It's only a mile from salt water. Hampstead would certainly feel the full force of any hurricane that hits there.

Hurricane Irene struck Cape Lookout as a Cat 1 last August. It tracked about 50 miles to my east for 12 hours. It took months to clean up all of the debris and fallen trees in the municipalities in my county. There is still evidence of the hurricane out in the country here. Our one town here, Ayden, looked like a war zone with many 100+ year old trees down.

I have family that lives on both the east and west coast of Florida. Our new home in Hampstead is about seven miles from the coast, I guess I just thought the immediate danger zone would be within a mile or two of the coast, obviously.....I have lots to learn about living in Coastal North Carolina! Hubby came home to Maine from Hampstead for Christmas.....he went from temps that had wind chills of 20 BELOW zero, back to temps in the 50s! I think that part of NC....I will LOVE!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM

858 posts, read 2,984,421 times
I imagine insurance costs will climb again next year as a result of Sandy.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:42 PM

291 posts, read 865,773 times
We used Mary Beth Morgan with State Farm Insurance - I have to say State Farm was very good to us when hurricanes Bertha and then six weeks later, Fran hit while our home was under construction....We had a lot of damage from both storms. We lived on a tidal creek, and while we never got water in our home, we had a lot of wind damage...we had to switch to the NC Wind Pool for our wind insurance after our costs for the wind portion kept going up (can't really blame them), State Farm for Homeowners, and Federal for flood.....the insurance bills were high...but the property taxes were relatively low...

Hope you will enjoy your new home!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:57 AM

61 posts, read 114,435 times
Ended up going with State Farm, they gave us the best rate! Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate the advice. Closing on the new home in Hampstead on Thursday. I will remain in Maine for a while...our youngest teen is still in school. Looking forward to a warmer climate after our very cold, snowy week here! I am sure I will be bugging you all with more questions in the future!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,063,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy B View Post
Looking forward to a warmer climate after our very cold, snowy week here! I am sure I will be bugging you all with more questions in the future!
Oh you know what will happen. It'll snow a record amount the day after you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina