Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,601 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest:

1. an elder mediator - a neutral knowledgeable third party to assist in an intervention with our aging parents? My siblings and I need to come together and talk to our parents about problems we see and convince them that they need one or all of us to take over their business/financial affairs. We don't want them to feel like we are ganging up on them or ambushing them. My sister has power of attorney (thank goodness) but when they agree to let go, they end up taking over again and being noncommunicative. Then back to square one.

2. an elder attorney - someone to see this through legally and to help us help our parents. We are dealing with some physical disability and decline in mental capacity and some mental illness in both of them.

I am putting this in the WIlmington forum because that is where they are. I may repost this on another forum for general suggestions, but we need specifically Wilmington area (New Hanover, Brunswick, or even Onslow) professional help.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
2. an elder attorney - someone to see this through legally and to help us help our parents. We are dealing with some physical disability and decline in mental capacity and some mental illness in both of them.
I don't have personal experience with any of these attorneys, but I researched them enough to know that they specialize in either estates or elder law, and that I would be willing to talk to them. They are all in Wilmington. In no particular order: 1. Andrew Olsen at Elder Law Firm of Andrew Olsen – Wilmington, North Carolina attorneys specializing in elder law, estate planning, Medicaid planning, special needs planning, wills, trusts, guardianship and Veterans benefits 2. Helayne Barrie Levy also with Olsen Elder Law. 3. A. Dumay Gorham with Marshall, Williams & Gorham 4. John R. Sloan (Estate Planning) 5. Paula A. Kohut (Estate Planning).

As far as an elder mediator, I'd see if the county has any elder service referral services. This might help:
New Hanover County Dept of Aging
Diane Berry
2222 S College Rd
Wilmington, NC 284035545
Phone: 910-798-6400
Fax: 910-798-6411
Email: dberry@nhcgov.com

I'd also ask the attorneys to suggest someone.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-28-2012 at 09:33 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,601 times
Thank you, Goldenage1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina