Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 05:21 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSouthJersey View Post
I completely agree that you need to involve yourself - as a school board member and room mom I always have. However, moving to a new area with no knowledge of a school system means you are quite dependent on the few websites that do rate the schools. One of the reasons we are relocating in the first place is because our local high school is ranked poorly, and since I graduated from there, I agree with the ranking. There are great kids who will excell anywhere, but if I can choose between a great school and a struggling school, I might as well move to the area with the better ranked school. I didn't mean to put down anyone's school, believe me. I'm only using statistics, and trying to do my best research in this very important issue. I really do appreciate everyone's input, and hope it keeps coming. We do want to be south of the Outer Banks due to my husband's job and my obsession with palm trees ... (but that's another forum!) Thanks all! Melissa

I have an obsession with palm trees too. I thought I was the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,760 times
South was not a very good school when I attended class ’01, other people may differ in opinion, but the school was very segregated to who was popular and who was not. If your children make friends than they will do well, but the students were never very accepting of new students, unless they had money or a means to throwing parties. Generally there are some teachers who really try hard and others who could care less. Many teachers teach directly from the book and will not prepare you for college, which of course is the most important part of high school education. My sister just graduated two years ago and nearly flunked out of college because: 1) She graduated at the top of her class barely worked (schoolwork) the entire time, basically it was too easy 2) She took advanced classes (AP) and the classes were nowhere near college level. 3) Finally the school seemed to have a high teacher turnover rate, with many actually heading to schools in Wilmington. Overall though, unless you have a job in Southport the commute to Wilmington or surrounding areas is not great. Wilmington is a better place to live by far. I grew up in Southport and probably would not move back, primarily because of the uncontrolled growth. Southport does not have a good infrastructure, and the city seemingly only makes plans if it makes them money.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
Quote:
I completely agree that you need to involve yourself - as a school board member and room mom I always have. However, moving to a new area with no knowledge of a school system means you are quite dependent on the few websites that do rate the schools. One of the reasons we are relocating in the first place is because our local high school is ranked poorly, and since I graduated from there, I agree with the ranking. There are great kids who will excell anywhere, but if I can choose between a great school and a struggling school, I might as well move to the area with the better ranked school. I didn't mean to put down anyone's school, believe me. I'm only using statistics, and trying to do my best research in this very important issue. I really do appreciate everyone's input, and hope it keeps coming. We do want to be south of the Outer Banks due to my husband's job and my obsession with palm trees ... (but that's another forum!) Thanks all! Melissa
Palm Trees......Girlie Um I hate to break the news to yah..... Southport and Oak Island. No palm trees..... Get the town called Oak Island....Hello people Oak trees everywhere. If you want palm trees you need to go to Florida or California. Unless someone can tell where they have palm up and down the coast of NC or SC.....

I really do believe the rank you saw is true. I would check out the school before you move to get a feel for it. My kids are young but if or when they get at the age I won't live in that district for the Middle or High school. The elementary school was great. That is my opinion.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:58 AM

50 posts, read 239,068 times
Quote:
I posted a question earlier but didn't stress enough how important the local high school is to our decision to relocate. We're coming down to look at the new Seawatch development soon and will have 3 kids in high school when we move in 2 years. Is it good, or is Hoggard really all that much better? The greatschools website ranks Hoggard an 8 and S. Brunswick only a 5, so I'm a little worried. Any help? Thank you! Melissa
I have friends who love Southport, with children, and there are several private schools you may want to consider. I haven't heard anything negative about the public school system there, but it depends on your objectives and perspectives. Seawatch is way out in the boonies, not great for kids, whereas Southport is very family and community oriented. Plus the kids would have so many outdoor activites, as it is close to beaches, fishing, etc. I don't think you would ever read about violence or shootings taking place there. The police even monitor the roads before schools open and when they close, for speeders. Very safe place to raise kids.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Palm Trees......Girlie Um I hate to break the news to yah..... Southport and Oak Island. No palm trees..... Get the town called Oak Island....Hello people Oak trees everywhere. If you want palm trees you need to go to Florida or California. Unless someone can tell where they have palm up and down the coast of NC or SC.....

I really do believe the rank you saw is true. I would check out the school before you move to get a feel for it. My kids are young but if or when they get at the age I won't live in that district for the Middle or High school. The elementary school was great. That is my opinion.
We have palmetto palms all over Myrtle Beach and that does the trick for me. I see them around in Brunswick county.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 PM

10 posts, read 24,932 times
Yay! I just knew I saw some palm trees in those ads - I was worried I'd have to buy one of those blow-up ones! Melissa

Old 10-27-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Yay! I just knew I saw some palm trees in those ads - I was worried I'd have to buy one of those blow-up ones! Melissa

LOL, I know I would have to do that too We have just enough palms to satisfy my fetish here In fact SC has a Palmetto Palm on their license plate.

Myrtle Beach Hotels, South Carolina Resorts, Oceanfront Motels and SC Reservations - Myrtle Beach Area Convention and Visitors Bureau

Old 10-28-2007, 05:57 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,887 times
The only palm trees I saw on Oak Island in someone yard for landscaping... Sorry you really don't see a whole lot of the them but then you can always visit Myrtle Beach.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 AM

26 posts, read 227,714 times
The schools are not good. I have seen very few kids graduate uninfluenced in some way, no matter how good their family is. The education standards are lower than other parts of the country. A student that excels here would probably be in the average to low/average somewhere else. There is a lot of low income and drugs here. Especially among the teens. The troubled kids out number the good kids. I have lived here about 10 years. I have a 2 year old and am already planning on relocating because of this. I love the Palms too! Try Litchfield/Pawley's Island or Mount Pleasant/Summerville,SC.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 24,932 times
Thank you all for your help! Looks like with the answers I got and the research I've done that this area is out for us. We're looking in SC based on where the good schools are. Thanks again! Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina