U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,055 times

Advertisements

North Topsail was # 2 in the state 3 years ago. Growing problems right now new high school is being built I grew up in NJ taught there and in Topsail district. My daughter has a 4 year degree in nursing. I now teach in Morehead city Moderator cut: tos violation
Good luck!
Shirley

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-07-2008 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,436,852 times
I attended New Hanover County Schools, as a kid, from about 1965-1973, when I graduated from New Hanover HS. I then taught for NHCS for 25+ years before retiring, and moving to the Piedmont area of the state.

During that time, Brunswick County did not have a reputation for having particularly good schools. Brunswick County has a lower tax base, and draws from some poor, rural areas. The county was not one I considered teaching-in, even when I lived at one time, about 10 miles from Wilmington (in Brunswick County), nor did my daughter attend Brunswick County Schools.

They are not bad schools, just not praise-worthy for the most part.

See if you can find the websites for Brunswick County (south of Wilmington), Pender County (north of Wilmington), and New Hanover County schools (Wilmington and the beaches).

Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,993 times
Red face SBHS & MS are working for us

My daughter attended SBMS and now attends SBHS, and she is excelling in her freshman year. My son attended Bolivia Elementary and now attends SBMS, and he seems to be adapting to middle school at a normal rate with wonderful encouragement from his teachers. I have open communication with the teachers and other school staff members, and they understand that I will help/do/encourage/support/punish when necessary for my children to succeed.

Unlike an earlier reply, I believe these schools are getting a bad reputation due to problems that exist everywhere. Middle school and High school is what your child makes of it, but they need your guidance and involvement. So long as your child understands the parents' rules, the school's rules, etc., they will succeed wherever they go. All high schools have issues related to adolescence - peer pressure, experimentation and temptation. South Brunswick schools are no exception; however, it is the parents' responsibility to partner with the school (administrators, teachers, coaches, mentors, and all) to ensure your child is ready to face college and/or independent adult life.

Brunswick County is rural, with many residents not having a high school educations and living in conditions that many of us would consider unlivable. It is unfortunate, but these people are struggling to do the best they can. At the same time, society in general (in the North AND the South) is becoming more advanced, technilogically and otherwise, causing the uneducated or undereducated people to lose the will required to succeed. Jobs in the summer are a dime a dozen; the winter is a completely different story. That's one reason for the living conditions and types of people. Yet, the county is growing rapidly, and with the influx of new residents (who are accustomed to higher standards) comes more demands on the school system to adapt and perform. NC is in the South. It's not the North. Things will be different, so if you're expecting to move south without tremendous differences, you are being unrealistic.

All SB teachers that I know or have dealt with seem to love their role as educators with these kids. They feel more confident, though, when a parent is present in the learning process so that they have support in completing their tasks with our kids. We send our kids to them everyday to teach them reading, writing, math, etc., but we must be sure to teach our kids the common sense things, such as manners, respect, owning responsibility for their actions, and all those wonderful things we do as parents. Sometimes, though, the PARENTS are lacking these qualities so they CAN'T pass them along to their children.

Support and encourage the schools, and see if they work better for you with your active participation. And if the cafeteria food is so bad, brown bagging is allowed.

I moved to Brunswick County 3 years ago from the Charlotte, NC area, and it's very different, but I would not go back. I don't know how great the North is, but with so many people moving south, it can't be all that wonderful, huh?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM

12 posts, read 45,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I have an obsession with palm trees too. I thought I was the only one.

Me too... That's why I am really thinking more and more towards moving down south from up north. I definitely don't think you're the only one. That's why many people spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on a quick vacation to go and see one and feel like they are in a "tropical environment." I would just like the chance to see one every day, not just on vacation.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 34,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSouthJersey View Post
I posted a question earlier but didn't stress enough how important the local high school is to our decision to relocate. We're coming down to look at the new Seawatch development soon and will have 3 kids in high school when we move in 2 years. Is it good, or is Hoggard really all that much better? The greatschools website ranks Hoggard an 8 and S. Brunswick only a 5, so I'm a little worried. Any help? Thank you! Melissa
I moved here in 1998 before I had children. The school system here has the same problems as do most schools, however, we do seem to avoid some of the bigger city issues at the present time. Hoggard may have a higher ranking than S Brunswick, but I suggest you look at the city it is located in and compare it to the southport/oak island area before making a decision. Also, may want to research other developments besides seawatch at present time.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
I am also relocating to the area and looking for a high school for my youngest daughter. I am just starting my search for schools. Are these the only 2 high schools in the S. Brunswick area? I am also looking for a job in an elementary school as a teacher. I would appreciate any and all information you can give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina