U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,702 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Wilmington. I wouldn't move unless I had a job already in place. What is the job market like? Any recommendations of apartments? I just need some guidance on what to know if I should move. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 AM

11,255 posts, read 19,786,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg2mich View Post
I am thinking of moving to Wilmington. I wouldn't move unless I had a job already in place. What is the job market like? Any recommendations of apartments? I just need some guidance on what to know if I should move. Please help!
Look in the Coastal North Carolina subforum, as your questions have been asked many times. The unemployment rate in New Hanover County is close to 10% (maybe 9.8%). As there are many students who like living there, there is competition for the low-wage jobs. There are plenty of hospitality jobs and relatively few professional jobs.

Regarding apartments, you can divide them in ones that are convenient to UNCW and those further way. Are you in the category of wanting to avoid undergraduates?

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-11-2013 at 05:45 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Lots of apartment construction going on near UNCW...Randall Parkway area. If you are not into the college crowd, I'd recommend going further south...there are apartments off of 17th Street and St Andrews Dr near College Rd that are good. Or some new one's near Roland Grise Middle School on Lake Ave. This is an underrated area because of its proximity to Hugh McRae Park and the schools in the center of town.

Many of the after college crowd find apartments downtown in the Historic District...basically old houses subdivided. If you work downtown it is ideal, but also ideal for not needing your car on the weekend. I did it for 2 years and highly recommend it. Just stay 5th Avenue South to the River between Market and Orange or 3rd St South anywhere between the bridges.

Much of Wilmington's unemployment rate being high comes from the construction industry slowdown, which is picking back up slowly...you can find a job and a apartment without too much problem. Lots of new jobs being created around the Mall area right now...in the last year that area has added a Whole Food's, a Hobby Lobby, a Kid to Kid, a mattress retailer, a TCBY and work is ongoing on a Carter's Outlet, Chipotle, another mattress retailer and new freestanding Starbucks....just down the road a Trader Joe's opened.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM

610 posts, read 2,756,414 times
The job market in ILM is garbage. Employers do not pay a liveable wage, even for gov't and technical jobs. The city council is corrupt and property taxes are through the roof.

Wilmington is not the town you move to in search of career development or high wages. You need to "pay your dues" somewhere else that has a better economy and job market and then when you are financially secure, move to ILM. There are a ton of "nobodies" living in Wilmington. People that said they would never leave the area and now they are in their 50's and 60's working at Food Lion making $7.25/hr.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
The job market in ILM is garbage. Employers do not pay a liveable wage, even for gov't and technical jobs. The city council is corrupt and property taxes are through the roof.

Wilmington is not the town you move to in search of career development or high wages. You need to "pay your dues" somewhere else that has a better economy and job market and then when you are financially secure, move to ILM. There are a ton of "nobodies" living in Wilmington. People that said they would never leave the area and now they are in their 50's and 60's working at Food Lion making $7.25/hr.
The job market in Wilmington is the same as it ever was. Its heavy on services and construction...and the economy hit construction pretty hard. It has some large industries in GE, Corning, Progress Energy, Terex, PPD, & Reigelwood, among others. And then there are the government employers which include the Port, Army Corps of Engineers and UNCW.

The job market has grown significantly over the last 10 years, in the service sector with the construction of Mayfaire and the Leland centers, as well as continuing commercial construction around town. PPD has expanded, Progress is building a new plant, GE is expanding its nuclear division and a Verizon call center opened.

The thing is there are people that want to live in the Wilmington area so there are competition for jobs and many get frustrated by the wages offered based on that competition. Why would employers pay more than they have to? NC is not a "union" state where the wages are inflated (neither is SC). Wilmington is also not a major metropolitan area like Raleigh or Charlotte or Atlanta...although many would complain about wages in those cities as well, compared to many of the "unionized" states.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 PM

610 posts, read 2,756,414 times
I saw an ad when I was living in Wilmington for a construction manager. They wanted the person to have a BS degree and 5 yrs of experience and they were going to a pay a whopping 35k/yr. WHAT A JOKE!!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 AM

5,876 posts, read 8,845,962 times
The film industry is hopping once again in Wilmington though - I was just reading that there are a ton of pilots and movies coming. This probably doesn't help the OP, but wanted to note it.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 AM

2 posts, read 14,167 times
Smile Rental Place in Wilmington

Hey ! Check previewstay dot com. They provide the choice to stay and then its your choice to buy it or not. I hope you will find something here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina