Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM

19 posts, read 46,147 times

Advertisements

My family are heading down to NC in a few weeks, we are looking to relocate from New York. I am looking for a great school district for my two boys ages 11 and 7. We would love to live within one hour from the beach. We looked in the Wilmington area last summer but was very disappointed to find out the schools weren't graded very high. Curious if there are other areas with large subdivisions we should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkspyder View Post
We would love to live within one hour from the beach. We looked in the Wilmington area last summer but was very disappointed to find out the schools weren't graded very high. Curious if there are other areas with large subdivisions we should look at?
It's generally true of the coast that the schools are not exceptional. I think it's partly motivation. Kids are not pushed, and they have little incentive to work hard when the beach is next door and the weather is warm enough to surf much of the year.

Another issue is that there is not much of the upper-middle class achievers, except in Wilmington. The locals in the coastal towns include many lower-income folks who do construction work or wait on tables. Their kids don't aspire much higher.

However, Newport and Hampstead (Topsail High) have the best rated schools on the coast. Dare County is also good, but you may have more problem finding a job.

If you are willing to be further from the beach, look at the Triangle (Wake County). You could be 2.5 to 3 hours from the beach, and there are plenty of excellent schools there.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-04-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkspyder View Post
My family are heading down to NC in a few weeks, we are looking to relocate from New York. I am looking for a great school district for my two boys ages 11 and 7. We would love to live within one hour from the beach. We looked in the Wilmington area last summer but was very disappointed to find out the schools weren't graded very high. Curious if there are other areas with large subdivisions we should look at?
Don't get too lost in the ratings...I made this point to a parent that insisted that their kids (even though they couldn't afford it) had to go to a private school in Wilmington because their districted school wasn't considered "the best" in Wilmington...in reality most all the schools in New Hanover County are good. Great? Not necessarily in terms of ratings. Why? Because for the most part they are diverse in terms of "income". But the teachers for the most part are good and there are good students in most all of them. There are poorer areas of the county that tend to have a negative effect on the ratings and for the most part all schools have some poorer parts districted to them. one reason Hampstead is considered pretty good is because Pender County's poorer areas go to its other high school's for the most part. In other words the County is poorer as you go inland and richer as you get to the coast. look at a map of Pender Co and you will see it clearly.

As for Elementary Schools...Eaton and Codington are way up there on the state rankings. They are year round and lottery based. Besides them Parsley and Holly Tree are really good and for the most part the rest are more than adequate, with maybe 3-4 exceptions. Roland-Grise Middle is considered the best now, with Myrtle Grove, Noble and Murray not far behind. Hoggard is considered the best high school, but the other 3 are good...just a bit more diverse.

Put it this way, I have a child that I will be moving from Codington to Pine Valley in a few years...which sounds crazy if you just look at the rankings, but I know there is nothing wrong with Pine Valley. I know high school age kids that have moved from Hoggard to New Hanover based on some curriculum reasons. Its all relative, use those rankings in comparison with each other maybe, but don't let them be the end all be all. The general rule of thumb is the closer to the water you are the better the schools are.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Its all relative, use those rankings in comparison with each other maybe, but don't let them be the end all be all. The general rule of thumb is the closer to the water you are the better the schools are.
That is a great post, HP. I agree with the generalization about closer to the water, as it is an economic breakpoint. The better-off families can aford to live close to the water.

Another issue is the number of military families in the area. The officer families in my community are transferred every 2-3 years. This has to hurt their kids' performance to change schools and curricula. They are great people, but the ratings of the Dixon schools in Sneads Ferry are underwhelming.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
That is a great post, HP. I agree with the generalization about closer to the water, as it is an economic breakpoint. The better-off families can aford to live close to the water.

Another issue is the number of military families in the area. The officer families in my community are transferred every 2-3 years. This has to hurt their kids' performance to change schools and curricula. They are great people, but the ratings of the Dixon schools in Sneads Ferry are underwhelming.

I have to disagree with this or else you would see the same thing in Craven and Carteret County schools and schools like Croatan, West Carteret, and Havelock. The ratings of those schools have more to do with the locals than the military. Being a military kid typically allows you to learn and adapt faster.

Military brat (U.S. subculture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Third culture kid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It's generally true of the coast that the schools are not exceptional. I think it's partly motivation. Kids are not pushed, and they have little incentive to work hard when the beach is next door and the weather is warm enough to surf much of the year. Q.
Not sure where you get your information but it is not very accurate, Tucker Creek Middle compares favorably with any middle school in the state. Period. It is in Havelock. A high school in Carteret County is very highly rated.

The issue at the coast is the shortage of upper middle class families that truly value education. Wilmington probably has this, based on its size and supporting infrastructure.

It really don't matter a lot. Parental influence, values, and attitude toward education is by far the most important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina