U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM

54 posts, read 89,502 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Maine and a looking to move again to NC ( we spent a year there 2003/2004 and absolutely loved it). This time we want to be closer to the coast and have pleasantly discovered New Bern. Through our massive internet search we have narrowed down to quite a few areas, Trent Woods, River Bend, some areas across 17, and some areas down Old Cherry Pt way. We prefer somewhat older homes and haven't ruled out some of the historic districts, however our last few houses have been on 2+ acres and don't know if we can do a small in town lot.

Was wondering if Trent Woods and River Bend have a lot of restrictions. My husband does cabinetmaking and I plan on him making me a lot of new furniture. Would occasional noise from his tools be an issue in these areas? Also, (this is a strange question, I know) but are there any areas that allow laying hens? I have had chickens for years and love the fresh eggs.

We are coming down in April for a week to check out the entire area and really need some recommendations for a realtor. Would like to check some houses out and see what size house would work for us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM

2,809 posts, read 4,265,894 times
I had a family member with a long time home in Trent Woods across from the golf course. Never remember any restrictions...the neighborhood itself functions as the town so to speak (it is similar in Washington Park near Washington). If you like older homes and can afford the lots, Trent Woods is a GREAT place that I would highly recommend. In some cases it is a rebuild community where a small little house on a large lot could be torn down and beautiful new one built and still holds the investment...although today's economy makes that a little harder.

Closer to the water (that you can afford) the better. New Bern is a fairly diverse community and is centrally located between Beaufort/Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle and Greenville and Raleigh and Wilmington. The roads are getting better and the downtown seems to continue to slowly progress in its rehabilitation.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 PM

12,762 posts, read 24,347,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMaine View Post
Also, (this is a strange question, I know) but are there any areas that allow laying hens? I have had chickens for years and love the fresh eggs.
West or south of River Bend (eg, Pollacksville) the area is quite rural, and I don't think there are any restrictions on livestock. Within River Bend or Trent Woods, I'd check with the town governments.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 AM

61 posts, read 107,530 times
Hey there local Mainer.....my husband moved down to Hampstead (right outside of the Wilmington area) last September after accepting a new job. My daughter and I remained here in Maine, but have made several trips down to the Wilmington area. We recently purchased a home in Hampstead, and we are hoping to join him after the school year. He loves the area, and although my daughter and I have only spent a few weeks there, I have to say that I was impressed with all the area has to offer. I also love the warmer climate, and found for the most part....the locals were very friendly. I was a little worried because I had heard that the locals aren't very friendly toward *outsiders*, but I found just the opposite to be true. I did a great deal of research on the area before selecting where to purchase a home, and this board was a great help offering advice....

Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM
LLN

5,245 posts, read 10,044,241 times
New Bern has four historic districts. The one downtown is high dollar. There are some great buys in the other three. In Riverside you are near the river, but also near some not so great areas. We have had no problem. I would suggest spending one of your days looking in the historic district. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM

58 posts, read 116,877 times
Have you made any decisions?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM

54 posts, read 89,502 times
Thank you all for your helpful comments. I guess we will be doing a lot of driving around, looking at many areas when we are down for a visit in April. I have also read alot about Fairfield Harbour but it sounds like quite a mess going on with the community.

On another note, here are a few more questions. What is the best barbeque restaurant in the area? Are all stores open on Sunday or does NC have blue laws? I prefer to cook with gas, is there natural gas in the area, or just propane?

I still need some recommendations for a realtor, so if anyone wants to message me I would appreciate feedback.

Can't wait to visit, got another 8 inches of snow here this week.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
LLN

5,245 posts, read 10,044,241 times
BBQ is personal, but Tommy Moore's is good. There are places in Greenville and near Greenville, about 45 minutes, that make the same "best of" lists routinely.

There is natural gas and pretty much everything is open on Sunday. We really are in the 21st century down here.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM

58 posts, read 116,877 times
Agree with Moore's for BBQ. But I like Smithfields as well. Neither of which can touch Lexington (NC) BBQ.

I'm in Trentwoods, so may can help with questions for that area.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,520,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sea View Post
Agree with Moore's for BBQ. But I like Smithfields as well. Neither of which can touch Lexington (NC) BBQ.

I'm in Trentwoods, so may can help with questions for that area.
I reckon, if you like your BBQ slathered in ketchup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina