Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 36,719 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be turning 40 in August. I have a wife, a 9 yr/old daughter, a 6 yr old son, and another 4 yr old son. We have been to most areas of NC, with the exception of the mountains. I live in NY now, and have one of my companies in contract for sale right now. I have successfully owned and operated a pressure washing company, and a demolition and cleanout company. We are looking to move to the coast(or 20-45 mins travel time to it) soon. We also looked at the triangle area. I will be moving to NC with 2 car payments(8 months left) 3 construction trucks(paid for), a skid steer machine, 2 dump trailers and a ton of construction tools. No debt at all, not one credit card, and 175,000 from the sale of one business, and 50k in payments made to me over 36 months until paid in full. I was thinking of starting a towing/recovery business, and/or doing cleanups, and clean outs. I guess my main question is, if this was your situation, and was truly happiest at the beach(beach life, nature) what would you do? How viable is my plan? I have learned very much from the last 12 yrs in business, and started both, with no experience in each field. I have towed for companies from the ages of 17-25. I also buy and sell, recycle items for a profit, and do pretty well at that too. My mother, and 35 y/old brother ( who has terminal brain cancer) also want to move with us, and try to find a property with 2 houses, or large enough to build 2. Sorry for the long winded post, but as soon as the business deal is complete, we are out of here. Just looking for some input. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrox2595 View Post
I have successfully owned and operated a pressure washing company, and a demolition and cleanout company.... How viable is my plan?
I think there are areas where you can use your experience here, but it is not my field. We continue to have a lot of new construction around Jacksonville. The builders typically clear land by pushing over trees or pulling them up, then the haul the debris and burn it. We have very little demolition, as most building are newer.

I believe you would also find a demand for pressure washing, esp. with the realtors who have to clean up a house for resale. You sound like a person who could start a business nearly anywhere. You might look at inland areas like Maple Hill for lower costs houses on acreage where you could store your trucks.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM

13 posts, read 36,719 times
Thanks for the response! Where is maple hill? a town, or development?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrox2595 View Post
Thanks for the response! Where is maple hill? a town, or development?
Maple Hill is a town within Pender County, from where you could do business in Wilmington, Hampstead or Jacksonville. It's the kind of place where you could buy a house on several acres for under $150,000. If you wanted to put a mobile home on the property for your mother and brother, that is probably easy.

I also think you should get yourself on the list of contractors approved to do business with the Federal government. Camp LeJeune is doing a lot of building, and some demolition now, also. I am not sure how that works, but it might help if you had a "woman owned business", through your wife.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM

13 posts, read 32,819 times
All I have to say is leave NY and never look back friend. Im out of here in 4-5 years myself I'm making my move to Leland close to the beaches only 1 hour away from Mrytle beach. From what it sounds like you'll be able to adapt anywhere.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
That's a good setup...the Maple Hill idea is a good one...I think what you are looking at is to buy something in an unincorporated area because you will have issues with storing all that equipment in a town. That being said, with three kids you have to think a bit about school. If it were me, I would look for a larger property in either the Castle Hayne area of New Hanover County or Hampstead...because Castle Hayne has two new schools (Holly Shelter Elem and Middle) and Topsail schools are good....neither of those areas is incorporated BUT you need to be choosy about what you buy. Property values will continue to go up and the nice thing is that if you are doing a demo business or towing, you are close to I-140 which can get you into Pender, Onslow, New Hanover or Brunswick fairly quickly. Check the zoning of each county to see what you are permitted to do and since you have the equipment, you may consider buying a teardown property and rebuilding on it...again, just be choosy. There are some deals out there with the housing market...you may even be able to get a foreclosure on the Northeast Cape Fear River with some land.

A couple of other things to consider in this area....DOT is planning a Hampstead bypass...it may be a ways off but you may want to look at the route...

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US17HampsteadBypass/

This project will happen, IMO, its just a ways off because other I-140 projects need to be finished first.

As well, Titan is going to be building a new cement plant (eventually) on an old cement plant site along the river...been a been a fairly big to do about it, but it looks like it will be going in and will be a state of the art plant.

Last edited by HP91; 03-08-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina