Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM

605 posts, read 1,258,698 times

Advertisements

Still continuing my quest to find a retirement property in Coastal NC. Today I found this development called "River Landing" but notice it is not Brunswick County. Anyone here live or know of this development and the town of Wallace? I did notice the tax rate is higher than Brunswick county, but comparing to southern NJ, it is still very reasonable in our eyes. I know nothing at all about Wallace - not much anywhere about this town. All the talk seems to be about the Brunswick developments such as STJames and Ocean Ridge..... Comments please! Thank you kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:38 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Still continuing my quest to find a retirement property in Coastal NC. Today I found this development called "River Landing" but notice it is not Brunswick County. Anyone here live or know of this development and the town of Wallace? I did notice the tax rate is higher than Brunswick county, but comparing to southern NJ, it is still very reasonable in our eyes. I know nothing at all about Wallace - not much anywhere about this town. All the talk seems to be about the Brunswick developments such as STJames and Ocean Ridge..... Comments please! Thank you kindly.
I have been in Wallace and it is nice, small country town. It has a few good restaurants and shops. You are about 45 miles from downtown Wilmington. You can look up the profile on the main City-data page.

I have not actually been in River Landing, but we looked online at homes there. It is a well-planned community. If you would enjoy golf as your major recreation, you might consider it. It is much closer to Raleigh than Brunswick County is, and would have less problem with hurricanes and possible flooding.

For us, however, it was simply too far out in the boonies to consider seriously. There were also very little boating or fishing opportunities to interest my husband.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-18-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 PM

158 posts, read 345,375 times
Quote:
We spoke with a representative from River Landing at a recent real estate show. We were told that there are no available developer lots, simply resales of individual lots for those purchasers who have changed their minds about living in this community.

When looking for retirement property in coastal NC, don't let the real estate taxes be the only parameter you look at regarding taxes. Yes, real estate taxes are much lower than most north eastern states. The problem is that NC has a lofty state income tax. When we compared the total NC tax structure to what we pay in our NE state, there was a very slight difference and our property taxes are high here, but our state income tax does not tax social security or pensions. Also, we are taxed on very few food items in our NE state and no clothing is taxed.

We verified the NC tax structure with a CPA in the state to be sure our figures were accurate and to our dismay, they were.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
We spoke with a representative from River Landing at a recent real estate show. We were told that there are no available developer lots, simply resales of individual lots for those purchasers who have changed their minds about living in this community.

When looking for retirement property in coastal NC, don't let the real estate taxes be the only parameter you look at regarding taxes. Yes, real estate taxes are much lower than most north eastern states. The problem is that NC has a lofty state income tax. When we compared the total NC tax structure to what we pay in our NE state, there was a very slight difference and our property taxes are high here, but our state income tax does not tax social security or pensions. Also, we are taxed on very few food items in our NE state and no clothing is taxed.

We verified the NC tax structure with a CPA in the state to be sure our figures were accurate and to our dismay, they were.
Southeast lady - Thanks so much for your comments! yes, other factors to be considered other than property taxes - but our property tax bill is $14,000 a year! Our neighborhood in Southern NJ is very high indeed. I did look on google earth and can you tell me, are there a lot of chicken farms on the parameter of this development??????????
thank you kindly again!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have been in Wallace and it is nice, small country town. It has a few good restaurants and shops. You are about 45 miles from downtown Wilmington. You can look up the profile on the main City-data page.

I have not actually been in River Landing, but we looked online at homes there. It is a well-planned community. If you would enjoy golf as your major recreation, you might consider it. It is much closer to Raleigh than Brunswick County is, and would have less problem with hurricanes and possible flooding.

For us, however, it was simply too far out in the boonies to consider seriously. There were also very little boating or fishing opportunities to interest my husband.
Thank you goldenage!! Been reading all your posts with great interest....I saw on Google Earth today, can you tell me, is the parameter of this development surrounded by chicken farms? I am concerned over the 'smell'. We pass chicken farms on route 13 in Delaware on our way to OBX for vacation, and the smell can be very prominent in the summer. your thoughts?? thank you kindly!!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
..I saw on Google Earth today, can you tell me, is the parameter of this development surrounded by chicken farms? I am concerned over the 'smell'.
They are more likely turkey farms. I see two sets of them, so I would not say the development is "surrounded" by them. I can't comment on the smell.

Large scale agriculture is a fact of life in the inland parts of Eastern North Carolina. There are also hog and cattle farms.

However, see the C-D recent posting about closing of the turkey hatchery in Rose Hill. It may affect the farmers around Wallace.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-18-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 PM

202 posts, read 350,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It is much closer to Raleigh than Brunswick County is, and would have less problem with hurricanes and possible flooding.
Just a heads up, River Landing does have issues with flooding. After all, it is called River Landing. It's situated on the Northeast Cape Fear River. I don't think many homes have been flooded, other than during Hurricane Floyd, but I know some of the courses have issues with flooding when the river rises. Obviously, there is some risk involved.

Quote:
Thank you goldenage!! Been reading all your posts with great interest....I saw on Google Earth today, can you tell me, is the parameter of this development surrounded by chicken farms? I am concerned over the 'smell'. We pass chicken farms on route 13 in Delaware on our way to OBX for vacation, and the smell can be very prominent in the summer. your thoughts?? thank you kindly!!
You will, without a doubt, smell hog, chicken, and turkey houses outside of the RL gates. After all, Duplin County is one of the largest hog producing counties in the entire nation. Whether or not the smell will make it to River Landing is dependent upon a lot of variables, although you should be safe. Also, farmers will often spread manure on their fields. Once again, that may not be an issue, but the wind has a funny way of carrying bad smells at times.

Not trying to be negative, but these are definitely some things to consider.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,853,825 times
River Landing is fairly "local" in nature as opposed to the Leland subdivisions...It has been around for awhile and is done very nicely....It is to Wallace what Landfall is to Wilmington...where many of the prominent folks in that area moved out of Wallace and built in River Landing. I think it was started about 20 years ago. It has a new section called the Vineyard, it has the gas station with a sub shop, a small Vidant medical center, a Mad Boar restaurant and a Holiday Inn Express. Wallace has some amenities, typical small town. Not very sure about the Duplin County schools.

As to the flooding, the road outside of River Landing from Wallace to Chinquapin completely flooded out after Hurricane Floyd, which actually cleaned up that road. The houses don't flood based on what I hear but some of the low lying areas of the subdivision do. There is also a fairly nice campground on a lake at RL.

You can get to the Costco in Wilmington in about 30-35 minutes from RL, so its really not that far. The best thing about it is the easy Interstate access (very easy to get to Raleigh or Wilmington), but it really is more of a regional community that is a big step up from its surroundings. I would say it will always be a more laid back subdivision, which is what some folks may be looking for....probably a lot more "Southern", which I think would describe Landfall as well, comparatively to the Brunswick Co subdivisions.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 AM

Wink Poultry Farms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
River Landing is fairly "local" in nature as opposed to the Leland subdivisions...It has been around for awhile and is done very nicely....It is to Wallace what Landfall is to Wilmington...where many of the prominent folks in that area moved out of Wallace and built in River Landing. I think it was started about 20 years ago. It has a new section called the Vineyard, it has the gas station with a sub shop, a small Vidant medical center, a Mad Boar restaurant and a Holiday Inn Express. Wallace has some amenities, typical small town. Not very sure about the Duplin County schools.

As to the flooding, the road outside of River Landing from Wallace to Chinquapin completely flooded out after Hurricane Floyd, which actually cleaned up that road. The houses don't flood based on what I hear but some of the low lying areas of the subdivision do. There is also a fairly nice campground on a lake at RL.

You can get to the Costco in Wilmington in about 30-35 minutes from RL, so its really not that far. The best thing about it is the easy Interstate access (very easy to get to Raleigh or Wilmington), but it really is more of a regional community that is a big step up from its surroundings. I would say it will always be a more laid back subdivision, which is what some folks may be looking for....probably a lot more "Southern", which I think would describe Landfall as well, comparatively to the Brunswick Co subdivisions.
Thank you kindly for all the information! Do you know anything about a 'chicken farm smell' that some people have been talking about in that area? I am concerned over that, too.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Thank you kindly for all the information! Do you know anything about a 'chicken farm smell' that some people have been talking about in that area? I am concerned over that, too.
Depends on which way the wind is blowing...Wallace is near the County line at the south end and many of the processing plants are further north in the County so if you are getting wind blowing from the north, you could get that smell.

In Wilmington you can smell the Papermill I'd say about 4-5 days a year and its pretty strong. I'd say that area probably has about 10-20 days of strong odor from the processing plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina