U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM

204 posts, read 750,697 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a retirement community and currently have Brunswick Forest and Waterford on our short list. I've read a number of posts here on city-data, but most are a couple of years old (or more). I'm reposting a few questions to see if there is any updated information to be found on the following:

Are there alligators and snakes in neighborhoods with water such as Brunswick Forest and in particular Waterford? If I lived in Waterford, would I see an alligator in one of the canals or poisonous snakes in my yard? I've driven through there a few times and have never seen anyone kayaking/canoeing on the canals.

Is there still a flooding problem in Waterford?

Is the crime rate still high in the Leland area?

Is Waterford an active community with lots of social events?

Once in the neighborhoods, do you hear a lot of traffic noise?

I sure would appreciate some honest answers as we need to make a decision soon. I don't want to risk our retirement fund on a home in a place where we won't be happy.

Please feel free to DM me if you'd rather not post for all. I thank you in advance for any and all input (good or bad).
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly622 View Post
Are there alligators and snakes in neighborhoods with water such as Brunswick Forest and in particular Waterford? If I lived in Waterford, would I see an alligator in one of the canals or poisonous snakes in my yard?.....
Once in the neighborhoods, do you hear a lot of traffic noise?
I can only address a couple of your questions. There are alligators all over coastal NC, but they prefer larger bodies of water than the little drainage ponds in a development. One might wander in occasionally, but it could be removed by the county animal control people.

The most common snake you might see are little black snakes, not poisonous ones. If you are really nervous about critters, stay away from houses on the ponds or woods. There are open, treeless lots in both Waterford and Brunswick Forest.

We have only driven through both developments, but you don't hear traffic once you are about 500 feet inside the development.

I'll leave it to others to comment on the social life. You might search the forum, as there are a couple of people who have bought in Brunswick Forest and like it.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM

546 posts, read 860,795 times
Hello! We also are looking in this general area for retirement in about five years. My first consideration to you would be: find out which development is prone enough to flooding that you need mandatory flood insurance - I hear that the rate for 2013 in NC is going to skyrocket. A friend of ours just bought a lot in St.James Plantation and her flood insurance is going to be high - but still cheaper than the Jersey Shores insurance she is used to paying now. Snakes? I think any area that is called 'Low Country" is going to have snakes - and, unless you are going to have a small dog or cat run free in your development, I don't think alligators is going to be a problem - although a huge one was spotted on Holden Beach last year......We love the coastal area and snakes (even though I am terrified of them) and alligators are not going to bother me.....Keep your grass cut short and just keep your eyes open when walking around I always say.....we live in Southern NJ and I have seen my share of snakes just around my yard (our backyard backs a large pond) so I am just cautious in that regard. Leland has bad crime?????????? anyone know of this???

Old 03-11-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Leland has bad crime?????????? anyone know of this???
There is the main City-data profile on Leland. It is 10 years out of date! But you can check specifics on Spotcrime: SpotCrime Crime Map
It is centered on Magnolia Greens, and it shows several thefts and burglaries, but nothing violent. It might be occurring in vacant houses. I would not be especially concerned.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-11-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,060,820 times
Was talking to a friend that lives near Cypress Island (Snow's Cut area near Carolina Beach) and it looks to be an affordable hidden gem for retirement. Everyone from out of state seems to be drinking the Kool Aid of Brunswick Co, but it's funny that many that move there decide later they would rather be in New Hanover County....its just those Brunswick Co subdivisions are highly marketed to out of staters. Here's Cypress Island....

Cypress Island Home Page

While not strictly retirement communities, some of the existing golf course communities work very well for retirement...Pine Valley, Beau Rivage and The Cape at Masonboro...

Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Leland has bad crime?????????? anyone know of this???
The 2003 data in the City-data profile of Leland is 10 years out of date. In addition, the index is so high, I suspect there is a major error in it. (It would be worse than Newark, NJ, if it were true.) I think you should contact the Brunswick County Sheriff's department if you are concerned.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 PM

204 posts, read 750,697 times
Thanks everyone for your comments. Would love to hear from anyone who lives in Waterford.

As usual, I've gotten some great info from city-data. Keep it coming!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,640 times
Nelly622 - I am also debating Waterford vs. Brunswick Forest. It boils down to 3 things for me: cost of living including house, activities, and people. Waterford homes and remaining lots are generally less expensive than those at BF, and the monthly HOA fee is less. There are clearly more activities at BF - larger fitness center, exercise classes included in HOA fee (they now charge $2 per class), indoor and outdoor pool (year-round water aerobic classes), Town Creek for small boats in a totally natural setting (vs. canals of WOTC with houses on either side), funcions at The Forest (the restaurant at the golf course), many clubs. While WOTC has several clubs, I don't think they have as many as BF but not sure. As to people, I know some folks at BF already, which helps. If I knew some people at WOTC that might help, but I don't. My impression is that WOTC may have more young families and I am a pre-retiree. The landscaping at WOTC is very lush, tropical and compact, whereas BF is more natural and spread out. Not sure if any of this helps you, but I think it may be helping me by articulating the differences. This is my first entry in The Forum; I'd like to discuss with you individually and share notes but not sure how to have you call me without having my personal info out there for everyone to see. If anyone has any info on what I've just described, please let me know.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,863,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcd View Post
Nelly622 - I am also debating Waterford vs. Brunswick Forest. It boils down to 3 things for me: cost of living including house, activities, and people. Waterford homes and remaining lots are generally less expensive than those at BF, and the monthly HOA fee is less. There are clearly more activities at BF - larger fitness center, exercise classes included in HOA fee (they now charge $2 per class), indoor and outdoor pool (year-round water aerobic classes), Town Creek for small boats in a totally natural setting (vs. canals of WOTC with houses on either side), funcions at The Forest (the restaurant at the golf course), many clubs. While WOTC has several clubs, I don't think they have as many as BF but not sure. As to people, I know some folks at BF already, which helps. If I knew some people at WOTC that might help, but I don't. My impression is that WOTC may have more young families and I am a pre-retiree. The landscaping at WOTC is very lush, tropical and compact, whereas BF is more natural and spread out. Not sure if any of this helps you, but I think it may be helping me by articulating the differences. This is my first entry in The Forum; I'd like to discuss with you individually and share notes but not sure how to have you call me without having my personal info out there for everyone to see. If anyone has any info on what I've just described, please let me know.

Just send each other a PM= Private Message. My 2 cents on the topic of Crime. When you live in one of these beautiful Subdivisions or Developments or Plantations the definition of Crime is much different than if you come from the NorthEast. One suggestion I will provide to all (Free of charge) a little tip.Sign up for a out of state newspaper subscription delivery for the Brunswick Beacon and-or State Port Pilot. Better to read in hard copy than on line. If you are looking north Brunswick go with the State Port Pilot, Southern Brunswick go with the Brunswick Beacon. you can do a 3 month, 6 month, or yearly subscription delivered to your house.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM

4,269 posts, read 2,742,887 times
crime in leland isn't horrible, but you have some things to consider. there is mass gentrification going on in downtown wilmington. the poorer residents are basically being evicted for the "renewal" of downtown. the poorer residents will need a place to go, and brunswick, and pender county will be where they end up. with poverty, comes crime. keep it in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina