Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,347 times

Advertisements

Hello ENC folks- my family and I are headed to Wilmington next week to visit and check out the housing market. I am a dentist and my husband is a software engineer- his job will transfer with him, but I will need to find a practice. We are planning to look at homes in Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Wilmington itself. We have three young school age children and a college age daughter who will graduate nursing school next year and would like to move also.
Any input on areas? We really do not like "stuffy" areas and would like trails or areas to bike or walk nearby. The beach sounds good, but we don't want to shortchange the kids of feeling that they have a real community around them- I am afraid the beach communities may have too many renters to feel established. Schools are important- we want to keep the kids in a strong public system if possible. We prefer to live in an area where the average home price is about 350-400k, but are looking for a setting with natural beauty surrounding it. We would prefer an established area, 70's-90's maybe?
So basically... do people raise their families in beach towns like Kure? We would have to give up some space in our home to stay within our price range, or really invest more than planned in our home purchase. This may not be a bad idea, as the market seems to be on an upswing. Are there other areas nearby you would suggest? Thank you, Christine, mom of the Keith family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,915,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clagkeithmom View Post
Schools are important- we want to keep the kids in a strong public system if possible. We prefer to live in an area where the average home price is about 350-400k, but are looking for a setting with natural beauty surrounding it. We would prefer an established area, 70's-90's maybe?
So basically... do people raise their families in beach towns like Kure?
In my opinion, you would be better off in Wilmington in an established neighborhood. There are excellent parks in town. (BTW, the Landfall Country Club would probably fit your definition of a stuffy area, and it's prices are higher.) However, around the Mayfaire Towne Center, there are newer areas in your price range or higher. There is also a lovely area around Airlie Gardens, where Oleander Drive crosses Bradley Creek.

You don't say how old your younger children are. There have some good recent comments in this forum by HP91 on schools, such as Hoggard High: Looking for Great schools

I don't know the percentage of families actually living year-round in Kure Beach. I believe there are some good elementary schools with Carolina Beach addresses, but I would also have the same concern about being in a transient neighborhood of renters.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-11-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,347 times
Thank you goldenage1. We are actually planning to see a home near the Oleander drive crossing. My younger kids are 4,7, and 10, so we have a lot of child raising years left, but are older parents and would like to enjoy the time. We can't really say "Oh we will do that when they are grown"... we will be 60 when they are out of the house, and expect to work well into the normal retirement age. So I suppose this move is our early retirement without the retirement... We are tired of shoveling and waiting to go spend a week somewhere warmer. Hoepfully we will find a good fit.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,824,676 times
Thanks for the reference GA...I'll offer my local assistance here....I have mentioned many times that the goal in Wilmington is to be as close to the water as possible...I have two friends building in a small subdivision off Greenville Loop Rd where they were able to get a great deal on the land...the small neighborhood has water access. You may be able to get water access for your price, especially if you are willing to do a few updates...its still a buyer's market and deals can be had for "as is" homes.

START in the Parsley school district...there are nice subdivisions off Masonboro Loop Rd, work your way back to Holly Tree school district and finally to Pine Valley (newer sections or along the golf course)....this all feeds into good middle schools and Hoggard High. Here is the school district map link...

NHCS - School Locator

This area is centrally located to get to either beach in 10-20 minutes and downtown in about 15-20. As I said, close to the water preferably with water access.

Most of the dentists offices are near the Hospital so keep that in mind...Kure Beach would be a haul unless you worked in Carolina Beach, not sure that is even possible. Southern end of the county is not bad, I'd head that way before going north, but just be choosy about your community...I would think nice houses on Kure and Carolina Beach may be a bit expensive and keep in mind the insurance....but if you don't mind the drive its a good place to live. Carolina Beach Elem is pretty good and the middle and high school are acceptable in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina