Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 02:15 PM

183 posts, read 286,741 times

Advertisements

StarNews, Oct 30, 2017,"Officials want to see I-140 get a second interstate shield"

Sub-heading: Designation would brand U.S. 74 from Whiteville, I-140 as part of new I-74

SOUTHEASTERN N.C. -- If local officials and the N.C. Department of Transportation (DOT) get their way, a 57-mile stretch of U.S. 74 and Interstate 140 from Whiteville to Market Street in Porters Neck will be designated as a future stretch of I-74.

“I think it clarifies our intention for it to be an interstate sometime in the future,” said Karen Collette, DOT division engineer for the region that includes Southeastern North Carolina. “It gives us a start.”

The idea has the support of the Wilmington Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), which assists the DOT with identifying local transportation priorities.

The designation would apply for U.S. 74 from Whiteville to I-140, which is scheduled to open Dec. 15, then I-140 from its intersection with U.S. 74 to its intersection with U.S. 17 northeast of Wilmington.

Officials have noted that there currently exists no quick, easy route from Wilmington, the state’s eighth-largest city, to Charlotte, the state’s largest. During a breakfast forum recently at the University of North Carolina Wilmington focused on transportation, DOT board member Danny McComas -- a Wilmington resident and former New Hanover County state representative -- noted that the most direct route from Wilmington to Charlotte “has about 200 stop lights.”

“Anything we can do to open up that corridor to make it travel-friendlier would be a benefit,” said New Hanover County Commissioner Jonathan Barfield, who serves on the MPO board. “I think it’s going to be a darn good thing. To get that designated as an interstate would do wonders for commerce.”

“I think it makes sense. I think it would be great to connect our beaches to folks inland,” said Brunswick County Commissioners Chairman Frank Williams, who also serves on the MPO board. “It would also connect Route 74 to Interstate 140, which makes sense. It would just make it more well-connected through here to get people and freight in and out.”

The state for years has been looking at upgrading U.S. 74 to make it an interstate. Transportation officials have long noted that many state highways, including portions of U.S. 74, in all ways resemble an interstate highway, including at least two lanes on each direction of travel, a median and dedicated exits. They are just missing the blue shield designating them as an interstate.

An interstate-quality road connecting the 278 miles from Asheville to Wilmington is something the DOT has said is a needed project. Parts of the route have already been upgraded to interstate standards and designated so by the federal government, but some haven’t. For example, I-74 from Lumberton to Rockingham is a federal interstate. U.S. 74 connecting I-26 to Shelby isn’t an interstate, but is a freeway.

Some sections of U.S. 74 east of I-95 have been upgraded to interstate standards, but aren’t marked as such. Closer to Wilmington, there are currently no plans on the books to upgrade the stretch of U.S. 74 between Acme-Delco in Columbus County and Leland to interstate standards. I-140 intersects U.S. 74 just west of Leland.

Mike Kozlosky, executive director of the Wilmington MPO, said the next step, following the MPO board’s approval of the request, is to ask the DOT to consider the designation.

Collette said businesses often want to be within a short distance of interstates, and that the designation provides them assurance that a major transportation corridor is nearby.

“It certainly is helpful for economic development,” she said. “A blue shield is certainly a draw.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:58 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
No offense, but I-74 isn't one of the Quad East interstates (I-795, I-42, I-87, I-587).

This thread is better suited for I-74:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...stal-nc-5.html

Old 11-01-2017, 01:56 PM

Just found an interesting tidbit in the Mount Olive Tribune (behind paywall). Apparently, the next project slated for US-117 (Future I-795) is upgrading the existing US-117/NC-55 interchange in Mount Olive. According to Mount Olive Town Manager Charles Brown, NCDOT is considering upgrading the current interchange to a Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI). He also says the project is fully funded and would be at least 2-3 years before it begins.

https://www.iclassifiedsnetwork.com/...c-e9cc65112fce

Old 11-03-2017, 02:54 PM

A new interchange at the former US-70/US-70 Business intersection east of Smithfield will be open to traffic this Monday. An aerial view of the new interchange can be seen on the webpage.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14561

Quote:
Beginning next week, travelers on U.S. 70 east of Smithfield will encounter changes that improve the safety and flow of traffic.

The N.C. Department of Transportation plans to open by Monday, Nov. 6, a new interchange and overpass where U.S. 70 and U.S. 70 Business once intersected. With its construction, traffic on the two-lane road will cross over the main highway, allowing motorists to enter or exit U.S. 70 via new ramps.

Once the new interchange is open, contract crews will close the median crossover at nearby Firetower Road. Eliminating the crossover will require motorists on Firetower Road to turn right onto the highway, or to use the new interchange to go in the other direction toward Smithfield.

More improvements are coming over the next month along the same two-mile stretch of U.S. 70. Crews with Flatiron Constructors Inc. of Broomfield, Colo., are also building an interchange with an overpass and ramps at the highway’s intersection with Davis Mill Road/Stevens Chapel Road.

After the Davis Mill/Stevens Chapel interchange opens the middle of this month, NCDOT will close two crossover medians between the two new interchanges: One location is at Pine Street, and the other is the Peedin Road/Creeches Mill Road intersection at U.S. 70. Closing the crossover medians will improve safety by reducing the risk of collisions.

This section of U.S. 70 has an average of more than 29,000 vehicles a day – a figure expected to reach 45,000 vehicles by 2035. Motorists on the side streets now have to stop and wait for traffic to clear. The $16.7 million project began in 2015 and is scheduled to be completed by February 2018.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:57 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...HighwayMap.pdf

Is this too much for Kinston?

Old 11-10-2017, 05:25 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Not really. There's no timetable on this map so it doesn't all have to be completed (or needed) for another 50 years. the 70 bypass is already a work in progress, so I'd love to see that eastern freeway between Hwy 11 and US70 bypass/I-42 be completed. I do like that they want to put a freeway down NC 11 going towards Pink Hill.

Any maybe by the time 2067 gets here the GTP will be a boom and a lot more people will working there and the area will grow and need a much better highway system.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Not really. There's no timetable on this map so it doesn't all have to be completed (or needed) for another 50 years. the 70 bypass is already a work in progress, so I'd love to see that eastern freeway between Hwy 11 and US70 bypass/I-42 be completed. I do like that they want to put a freeway down NC 11 going towards Pink Hill.

Any maybe by the time 2067 gets here the GTP will be a boom and a lot more people will working there and the area will grow and need a much better highway system.
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2015.pdf

This is also a key to having a freeway from Greenville to Wilmington.

They want to make a Beulaville bypass so you can get to Jacksonville faster, and They are trying to put more interstates in North Carolina I guess.

Last edited by Slay The Great; 11-10-2017 at 09:05 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 08:25 PM

71 posts, read 291,041 times
What happened to the Greenville Area Developments thread? I can't access it anymore and it said it's been "moved". What does that mean?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2015.pdf

This is also a key to having a freeway from Greenville to Wilmington.

They want to make a Beulaville bypass so you can get to Jacksonville faster, and They are trying to put more interstates in North Carolina I guess.
Its amazing that they're just now exploring this type of connectivity. All of this should have been part of the GTP project from the outset if the state was serious about its viability.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecufootball View Post
What happened to the Greenville Area Developments thread? I can't access it anymore and it said it's been "moved". What does that mean?
I can't even get in also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina