Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 04:19 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times

Advertisements

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...TP_Highway.pdf

How many highways does North Carolina need?

I know US 64 US 17 will become freeway, but idk if they need to plan these interchanges and construct freeways everywhere. I think they might be thinking too high.

Highway 11 might be needed but I don't really know though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:06 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
NCDOT is hosting a public meeting in Princeton on December 7 to discuss upgrading US-70 to interstate standards between the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass and Holts Lake just west of Princeton. A minor update on the ongoing US-117 interchange projects near Mount Olive was given as well.

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Hearing to look at U.S. 70 project

Quote:
A $130.5 million project to bring U.S. 70 up to freeway standards will be the subject of a Dec. 7, public meeting at Grace Baptist Church in Princeton. The time has not yet been announced.

The plan calls for U.S. 70 to be upgraded from the west end of the new U.S. 70 Bypass to Holts Lake in Johnston County by eliminating at-grade intersections and driveway connections.

Jiles Harrell, N.C. Department of Transportation District 3 engineer, provided an update on that project and several others Wednesday during the Wayne County Transportation Committee meeting at the Goldsboro Event Center.

"What we are going to do (at the meeting), we will show the overall plan, what we are looking to do on that piece of the (U.S. 70) corridor," Harrell said. "At certain interchanges, strategic places, we may have some alternates that need to be considered.

"So we are seeking public opinion on those alternates. We have a couple of interchange alternatives that we are going to look at for Princeton itself, and then they will get to see where we are proposing to have an additional interchange between the end of the bypass and Princeton."

Maps at the meeting also will show service road tie-ins, Harrell said.

"It is going to be fully controlled access," he said. "It will be up to Interstate standards when we do that project. We hope to be moving toward construction in 2022 providing we can get everything straightened out and together."

Comments from the public will be used as the state moves forward with design, Harrell said.

Harrell also talked about the ongoing interchange project at O'Berry Road and U.S. 117 South at Dudley.

O'Berry Road has been closed and will remain closed for about a year as the bridge is built to carry the road over U.S. 117, he said.

Once the dirt build elevation is in place for the bridge it has to sit for at least four months.

"So it is not that we are trying not to do anything, it has a settling time," he said. "It is not that we have stopped working. We have about a year left of construction before we have that interchange open."

A second interchange project at U.S. 117 South and Country Club Road near Mount Olive will start after the first of the year, he said.

The projects are designed to improve safety, Harrell said.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:36 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Hopefully, construction can be accelerated.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
NCDOT is hosting a public meeting in Princeton on December 7 to discuss upgrading US-70 to interstate standards between the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass and Holts Lake just west of Princeton. A minor update on the ongoing US-117 interchange projects near Mount Olive was given as well.

Goldsboro News-Argus | News: Hearing to look at U.S. 70 project
The timing of this meeting has been announced.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14615

Quote:
State transportation officials are seeking public comment on plans for upgrading sections of U.S. 70 in Wayne and Johnston Counties into interstate standards.

The N.C. Department of Transportation will hold an informal open house from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 7, at Grace Baptist Church at 220 Barden St. in Princeton, where the public may learn more about the $130.5 million proposed project and offer comments.

The 6.7-mile section of U.S. 70 that would be improved is between the U.S. 70 Goldsboro Bypass in Wayne County and west of Pondfield Road in Johnston County. The project would potentially include three new interchanges with overpasses and ramps, as well as new service roads. More information as it becomes available will be posted on the NCDOT website.

The deadline to submit comments is Jan. 8, 2018.

To send comments, or seek additional information about the proposed project, the public may contact Debbie Barbour, a consultant project engineer, at Debbie.Barbour@kisingercampo.com or 919-882-7839, ext. 5101; or Matt Clarke, NCDOT project engineer for Division 4, at wmclarke@ncdot.gov, P.O. Box 3165, Wilson N.C., 27895 or 252-640-6419.
Here's the maps of the project area:

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/proje...ntyMapArea.pdf

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/proje...nesEastMap.pdf

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/proje...nesWestMap.pdf

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/proje...rchangeMap.pdf

Last edited by LM117; 11-27-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 05:04 AM

I just got wind that the Davis Mill Road interchange on US-70 near Pine Level is open. Another thing I've been told is that some of the ramps at that interchange as well as the recently opened US-70 Business interchange nearby are pretty tight and have 15mph signs posted on them.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 PM

We're in Goldsboro visiting a friend and I noticed that NCDOT had corrected the overhead signs approaching the eastern end of the Goldsboro Bypass on US-70 West. Before, signs for US-70 West used La Grange, which was backward. It's now been changed to Goldsboro.

I managed to get a couple of pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Proposed I-795 Quad East loop-bypass.jpg   Proposed I-795 Quad East loop-goldsboro-bypass.jpg  

Last edited by LM117; 12-07-2017 at 07:34 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 07:18 AM

NCDOT has begun posting "Future I-795" signs on US-117.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 AM

The US-70 Corridor Commission finally decided to post the minutes of their September 21 meeting. They have yet to post the minutes of their November meeting...

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-co...17_minutes.pdf

Old 12-23-2017, 08:01 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2013.pdf

Greenville to get a connector to I-40 as well, but this roadway looks weird looking.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:44 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2013.pdf

Greenville to get a connector to I-40 as well, but this roadway looks weird looking.
This does seem odd. I agree. But it does appear that it will connect to NC 24, which is a 4 lane road between Kenansville & Richlands/Jacksonville. I assume the DOT has plans to turn 24 between Kenansville & this proposed bypass into interstate standards. NC11 I believe will be turned into interstate standards between Pink Hill & Kinston. With Kinston's proposed bypass/loop and interstate standards connection to Greenville and Greenville's future interstate connection to I-87 , There will finally be a N/S interstate through the heart of Eastern NC. I'm glad they are moving forward in studying this bypass. Hopefully things will run quickly and by 2035, you'll be able to roll from Wilmington to Norfolk without stopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina