Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 AM

449 posts, read 515,002 times

Advertisements

Indeed, its also about commercial access to the port and GTP, the capital and beyond. None of which can be sacrificed so that businesses on 70 can survive. The growth of the GTP will also support their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 AM

3,060 posts, read 4,793,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Indeed, its also about commercial access to the port and GTP, the capital and beyond. None of which can be sacrificed so that businesses on 70 can survive. The growth of the GTP will also support their business.
The downtown growth in Kinston is actually pretty good. Maybe some of these businesses should consider getting off of 70 and relocating downtown.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:21 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,530,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The downtown growth in Kinston is actually pretty good. Maybe some of these businesses should consider getting off of 70 and relocating downtown.
Which kind of make his comments silly because his burger place is in downtown Kinston within 1 block of Chef & the Farmer and Mother Earth Brewing. He's going to be fine. There's a good chance (not wishing it on him) that his burger place won't even be there by the time construction starts in 2025.

I understand his point, but 99.9% of people traveling to/from the beach aren't going to stop today to visit his burger place downtown simply because they're making their way to/from the beach and don't plan on making any stops in between.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:46 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,575,055 times
I don’t remember the last time I drove by Mother Earth but the other day I came through Kinston on King Street and turned south on Queen. It definitely does not look like it’s growing. It looks like a war zone.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:53 AM

275 posts, read 327,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I don’t remember the last time I drove by Mother Earth but the other day I came through Kinston on King Street and turned south on Queen. It definitely does not look like it’s growing. It looks like a war zone.
It's really just Heritage St. right now. Outside of that 2-3 block strip the rest of downtown Kinston looks like it's decaying.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:52 AM

7,176 posts, read 6,721,544 times
The US-70 Corridor Commission has finally posted the minutes from their November 15 meeting. The January meeting was pushed back to February 22 due to the snowstorm. The minutes from that meeting have not been posted yet. Next meeting is May 17 in La Grange.

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-co...ember_2017.pdf

The Director’s Report for January & February also contained this interesting little tidbit:

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-co...ors-Report.pdf

Quote:
February’s focus has been on continuing U.S. 70/I-42 projects: Wilson’s Mills, Pine Level, Princeton, Havelock, Kinston and James City. The large proposed interchange at U.S. 70/I-42 and I-95 has garnered much attention - probably a bit premature to become overly anxious with this project now.
Also, I stumbled across this. The director is pissed.

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-co...ors-Report.pdf

Quote:
The destruction of our towns, cities and the devastating consequences of Hurricane Matthew upon our citizens invited/demanded that we revisit the 1985 report and seek to address downstream flooding. I feel certain Governor Cooper’s Neuse River Flood Abatement Study will explore remedies to minimize future downstream flooding.

It is puzzling and disappointing the U.S. Corps of Engineers chose to destroy the century-old Milburnie Dam - the only stop-gap between Falls Lake and the Pamlico Sound. Despite an expression of concern by many along the Neuse River in Eastern N.C., the dam was destroyed in 2017.

With the destruction of Milburnie Dam, acres of wetlands have been destroyed by the agency charged with the responsibility of protecting wetlands. I have not heard a plausible explanation of why the dam destruction was authorized. Acres of wetlands are gone without re-establishing new replacement wetlands - a requirement for developers and NCDOT.

The only benefit acknowledged is a new source of recreational activity in the Raleigh area - with no barrier to slow the waters and minimize downstream flooding. By all reports, we need more flood control business - not less.
Wow...

Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 AM

NCDOT has awarded a contract to mill & resurface I-795 between the Wayne/Wilson county line and US-264.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=15068

Quote:
Almost eight miles of Interstate 795 in Wilson will be repaved over the next year.

Fred Smith Co. of Raleigh will mill away the top layer of old asphalt and resurface the freeway and its ramps between the Wilson-Wayne county line and Wiggins Mill Road.

During construction, drivers should expect intermittent lane closures, except for holiday weekends.

Fred Smith received a $5.8 million contract from the N.C. Department of Transportation in March. The company may start work after April 30, and it has until June 2019 to finish.

This was one of 16 road and bridge contracts recently awarded by NCDOT. Per state law, they went to the lowest qualified bidder for each project. The contracts are worth $429.7 million, nearly $39 million under engineer estimates.
The same is currently being done for the stretch between US-70 in Goldsboro and the Wilson County line.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Ce...%20C204024.pdf

Last edited by LM117; 04-13-2018 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Here’s a map of the proposed I-42/I-95 interchange near Selma:

https://jocoreport.com/wp-content/up...nterchnage.pdf

Good luck getting local support for that...

Old 04-14-2018, 04:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,226,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Here’s a map of the proposed I-42/I-95 interchange near Selma:

https://jocoreport.com/wp-content/up...nterchnage.pdf

Good luck getting local support for that...
Looking at the proposed interchange and the current (or most recent) Google Maps overhead, there's a large "solar farm" right where the new cloverleaf would be going, but it's not on their pdf overlay.

I'm not trying to blame anybody, but the way they (NCDOT) have been upgrading/bypassing US-70 in pieces over the last few decades, sort of lead/caused this situation. If they just created a new interchange/alignment when they put in the US-70 Bypass, this would have already been addressed. Of course it was cheaper, at the time, to do what they did.

That's a lot of exits (4 total) over a short distance on mainline I-95.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:02 PM

795 posts, read 670,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Looking at the proposed interchange and the current (or most recent) Google Maps overhead, there's a large "solar farm" right where the new cloverleaf would be going, but it's not on their pdf overlay.

I'm not trying to blame anybody, but the way they (NCDOT) have been upgrading/bypassing US-70 in pieces over the last few decades, sort of lead/caused this situation. If they just created a new interchange/alignment when they put in the US-70 Bypass, this would have already been addressed. Of course it was cheaper, at the time, to do what they did.

That's a lot of exits (4 total) over a short distance on mainline I-95.
What in the world even led to all the different US-70 alignments around 95? There are so many different routes between the regular US-70, Business 70, and Alternate 70, plus the ridiculous interchange with I-95, that I can't even tell where US-70 went originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina