U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 AM

647 posts, read 1,035,881 times

Advertisements

One thing that concerned us about Leland when we were considering a move there was, according to the City-Data.com city information statistics is Leland has 36 registered sex offendes (a ratio of 75-1), while in comparison, Wilmington NC has a ratio of 479-1. I did ask a realtor, but wasn't given a very good answer. Are those statistics really up to date and correct?

We stayed at Magnolia Greens for a week and thought it was a lovely community, although we never saw many folks out and about. We toured Brunswick Forest, which is beautiful, but, if it builds out to capacity, it was just too large for us.

Have you considered Mayfaire Square? That looks like a really nice layout and a fun place to live.

We drove out to Compass Pointe; however, the week we were there in Leland, they got 23" (that's right, 23") of rain, so everything and everywhere we went was flooded. Waterford was flooded, Magnolia Greens was flooded, and Rte. 74 was flooded (so much so that some smaller cars were actually floating off the road).

Needless to say, we left with a less than positive impression and finally decided not to move to NC. But that being said, there are some really really nice developments that should be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM

15,061 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
We chose a community in Leland for many of the same reasons you seem to express. The benefits are the proximity to Wilmington with its shopping, restraints, cultural opportunities, and medical care close by. Plus there is the added benefit of cheaper taxes in Brunswick county and less congestion than actually living in Wilmington. There are a number of communities in Leland each with their own positives and negatives. Off the top of my head I can think of Magnolia Greens, Waterford, Compass Pointe, Brunswick Forest, and Wedgewood. You should try and visit as many as you can and make up your own mind what is right for you.
What about Westport? Any opinions on that community?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
TI would suggest the OP's also look at developments in the city of Wilmington, and New Hanover County also.
We are also looking at these areas. GoldenAge, would you mind suggesting some communities in the city of Wilmington, please? (Golf course NOT required, but we would be very happy to have access to a club house, pool and/or exercise facility).

And is there any communities in Hampstead that we should consider?

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 02-19-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We are also looking at these areas. GoldenAge, would you mind suggesting some communities in the city of Wilmington, please?

And is there any communities in Hampstead that we should consider?
These are several areas that have recreational facilities or a lot of one-story homes, and are not necessarily retiree areas: Porter's Neck, Landfall and Beau Rivage, are which are country club areas. Premier Homes builds "retirement ready" homes at Covil Crossing and Motts Landing. There's Tanbridge Park near Mayfaire, and we've discussed Hidden Point on the Lake.

In Hampstead, we were looking for water access communities, and Olde Point showed up with larger older houses. (We never visited however.)

Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM

431 posts, read 1,011,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypdblue12 View Post
I am aware of the Cultural differences between New York and Wilmington. I'm willing to make the trade-off for wamer winter, lower taxes and pretty much all the same reasons the Northeasterners are looking to make the move As far as shopping goes, I believe the Mayfair shops are close by. Although the shops don't compare to New York, it's not a deal breaker. Btw, I live in a small town outside of New York City approximately 30 miles out. I work in New York City and will retire in two years. Magnolia and Waterford are also considerations. Again, I appreciate the comments and opinions.
Have you thought about maybe moving to Mayfaire? You didn't seem interested in Wilmington, but it might be something to consider. There are several living options in Mayfaire. I live and work there, so I'm partial to the area. But I think it's a great place to live.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Have you thought about maybe moving to Mayfaire? You didn't seem interested in Wilmington, but it might be something to consider. There are several living options in Mayfaire. I live and work there, so I'm partial to the area. But I think it's a great place to live.
Can you provide a link to Mayfaire, please? Having trouble tracking down what you are talking about.

And GoldenAge - thank you again for your suggestions. We're leaving on Feb 28th to visit the area, and are really feeling good about the Wilmington and South Port areas.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Can you provide a link to Mayfaire, please? Having trouble tracking down what you are talking about.
Here you go. It has links to all the different housing options. I love Parkside, but sadly I do not live there.

living in wilmington, nc

Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 50,808 times
Quote:
What about Westport? Any opinions on that community?
We're on the same page. I couldn't agree with you more. My 1st visit will be in the end of April.

Coffebean, I've looked into Mayfaire but was looking for something outside of the city. You're right tho.......it appears to be a lovely town.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 PM

8 posts, read 50,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
We chose a community in Leland for many of the same reasons you seem to express. The benefits are the proximity to Wilmington with its shopping, restraints, cultural opportunities, and medical care close by. Plus there is the added benefit of cheaper taxes in Brunswick county and less congestion than actually living in Wilmington. There are a number of communities in Leland each with their own positives and negatives. Off the top of my head I can think of Magnolia Greens, Waterford, Compass Pointe, Brunswick Forest, and Wedgewood. You should try and visit as many as you can and make up your own mind what is right for you.
Excellent point. That's the plan. First visit will be the end of April.

Coffebean, Mayfaire looks beautiful but we're looking to live outside the city.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypdblue12 View Post
Excellent point. That's the plan. First visit will be the end of April.

Coffebean, Mayfaire looks beautiful but we're looking to live outside the city.
Have you looked at Mallory Creek. I know someone who bought a house there a few months ago and he's very happy with it. It's off of 133, about halfway between Wilmington and Southport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina