U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 50,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Have you looked at Mallory Creek. I know someone who bought a house there a few months ago and he's very happy with it. It's off of 133, about halfway between Wilmington and Southport.

Hmmm....that looks nice as well. Will definitely look into it during our trip in April. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:24 AM

19 posts, read 59,606 times
I was at Compass Pointe last week. Lots are way high 70s to 125. Slow growth they started in 2008 only pool, unfinished club house. Think they have to get better pricing to sell fast. Wrightsville beach is 30 min away to far for me.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:03 PM

13 posts, read 27,442 times
Default Any thoughts on compass pointe

Was wondering if anyone had any info on compass pointe in leland. How would it compare to brunswick forest is it more retirees or a mix of both families and retirees. I've been reading a lot about brunswick forest and nothing on compass pointe. Thank You

Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM

11,257 posts, read 19,791,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY'S Bravest View Post
Was wondering if anyone had any info on compass pointe in leland. How would it compare to brunswick forest is it more retirees or a mix of both families and retirees. I've been reading a lot about brunswick forest and nothing on compass pointe. Thank You
Please search the forum on Compass Point, as there have been recent comments.

Some also said that Brunswick Forest was the Leland community which had the most families. Someone guestimated 35% families in brunswick Forest.

I recently visited Compasse Point, and the gates are attended. If you want to visit you should make an appointment with the sales staff or go in with a Realtor. I saw a chart on the wall listing recent lot buyers. I would say that 95% of them were from northern states, and I assume most of them will be retirees.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Had a discussion regarding these subdivisions with a recruiter in Wilmington the other day. Here's the no holds barred reality....

The overwhelming majority of the people moving or living in the Leland subdivisions are transplants without kids.

The folks that grew up in NC live in Wilmington, not in Leland (which prior to about 15 years ago was a poor mobile home oriented community). Hampstead may be a little more local, mainly because the housing is a bit cheaper in Pender Co and the Topsail schools are good.

I have made this point before and it will continue to ring true (and always keep this in mind when thinking about Leland)...the goal is to be as close to the water as possible (and I'm not talking about the Brunswick River)...so look at a map and look at Leland compared to Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach and Topsail/Hampstead....Leland is the furthest from the Beach....even Southport is close to the Beach. The reason they are building in Leland is because New Hanover County is close to being built out so they entice you with all of these new amenities (and granted it can be a quick trip to downtown Wilmington). Everyone wanted to live in Wilmington and land was cheap in Leland, so those folks building these subdivisions are making a killing off of out of staters.

Let me add that I'm glad for the transformation of Leland, I think it helps downtown Wilmington remain truly viable, but I would recommend going to the Wal-Mart in Leland while you are on your visit to get a feel for the place and understand that the Mall, Target, Costco, Sam's Club, Mayfaire, etc...are all in Wilmington where you will be going a lot....even more if you have kids.

Last edited by HP91; 03-13-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM

562 posts, read 932,350 times
Default Compass POinte

Quote:
I am running back to this area beginning of April to continue our search for retirement property. I am thinking Compass Pointe will be geared towards retirees, too, like BF - it's a very new community I know and when you Google Earth it - it will show you not much being built yet there.....Good luck.... PS - I will post when we return from Wilmington, NC - a lot of us here on these posts are planning on retirement in 4+ years so we all like to share our experiences with this area, too.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM

13 posts, read 27,442 times
Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
I am running back to this area beginning of April to continue our search for retirement property. I am thinking Compass Pointe will be geared towards retirees, too, like BF - it's a very new community I know and when you Google Earth it - it will show you not much being built yet there.....Good luck.... PS - I will post when we return from Wilmington, NC - a lot of us here on these posts are planning on retirement in 4+ years so we all like to share our experiences with this area, too.
I did stop by Compass Pointe a couple of weeks ago. There have several homes under construction, and are planning good amenities. It will probably be better in 4 years.

I'd suggest making an appointment when you plan to visit. No-one was prepared to answer questions when I dropped in.

When I asked about activities for younger people and children, there was no answer. The receptionist just gave me a business card. I assume they are not especially geared for families.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 AM

122 posts, read 418,197 times
Default Compass Point NC

Hello everyone,

We recently toured Compass Point in Leland and liked it.
However, it is rather new and we never lived in a gated community before. Is it financially sound?
They mentioned that a new road connector was being put in near the site we were considering. Noise factor?

Please, we would appreciate all imput, good, bad about the area and the community.
Did not care for the other built communities on RT 17.

Will be retiring in the next year or so and trying to decide between NC and FL.

Thank you for your help!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
We recently toured Compass Point in Leland and liked it. However, it is rather new and we never lived in a gated community before. Is it financially sound?
They mentioned that a new road connector was being put in near the site we were considering. Noise factor?
You should have obtained a copy of the Federal Property Report on Compass Point while you were there, as it is supposed to disclose anything you need to know. I believe the development is financially sound, but I have no access to their financial records. I have also visited the place briefly, and it seemed OK. I am luke-warm on the Compass Pointe, as I frankly would prefer a more developed place with more trees on the lots.

The Connector road is going to run along the right (east) side of the development. Did you ask them about whether there is going to be any sound protection berm? if there is no berm, then I would only look at lots on the west side of the development.

The choice of Florida vs North Carolina is personal. We still have four seasons, with occasional snow. The winters are generally pleasant, and not below 29 degrees at the coldest point. People still play golf all winter. If you want to return to visit relatives in the north, it is much closer than Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina