Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 56,040 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Need thoughts and opinions. My hubby and I are in our mid 40's and from New York. Looking to retire in 2 years (Yaaay!!!). We have no children (except for 2 little fur babies -kitties). We're not golfers but love the water. Considering Compass Pointe by Wilmington Thoughts and opinions please??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypdblue12 View Post
Considering Compass Pointe by Wilmington Thoughts and opinions please??
I looked it up, and the Google aerial view does not show anything built yet. (They can be out of date by a couple years.) I expect it's too new to have many residents there. I hope someone who drives by Highway 74 in Leland can report on real progress.

I believe you and your husband should visit to form an opinion on how long the community will take to build out. In the meantime, please consider other communities in Leland, Southport etc. There are others more firmly established and a lot of vacant land.

I hate to sound negative, and I know they are doing a lot of marketing, but Zillow.com has not reported any sales in Compass Pointe. Zillow's maps shows only a couple model homes. You should also consider that the neighboring community to the east is selling small homes in the $120-150K range. The land to the west is undeveloped. I'd say Compass Pointe would have to sell its location to me.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-17-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM

149 posts, read 596,460 times
The best advice I can give is to go and see any property you are considering. Having said that, I can tell you I was at Compass Pointe last month. There are between 50 and 100 homes currently built and being lived in. There are another 20 or more in various stages of construction. Last summer the community pool was built and put into use. These are things I have seen for myself and are not just opinions. The golf course is scheduled to open in the spring of 2013. This is what I have been told but I couldn't guarantee that it will happen. I can say that I have seen where various holes are laid out through the community. Compass Pointe is not a finished community like Magnolia Greens, St. James Plantation, and others. The safe bet would be to go to one of the communities that are already completed. I will say that Compass Pointe started selling lots before the real estate collapse in 2008. The fact that they have not gone under and have made definite strides going forward should be taken into account. In addition the developers are all local businessman that are responsible for many successful developments such as Magnolia Greens. If your intention is to build a new house I think you can get a better deal at Compass Pointe because all of their amenities are not yet in place. It's a question of what your risk tolerance is. If building a new house is not important to you than I believe you can find better deals in homes being resold in fully developed communities.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
If building a new house is not important to you than I believe you can find better deals in homes being resold in fully developed communities.
I will second that statement. Prices have come way down on resales. Even the full-scale country club, St James Plantation has some bargains.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,964 times
I don't know anything about Compass Pointe, but I read this article last year about them.

Developer cited for Clean Water Act violations | Brunswick Today

Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 AM

Thx for the replies. We are coming down for a visit in April. We will also pay a visit to St James and Brunswick Forest. Lots of good points made here and greatly appreciated.....Plz keep them coming. Coffebean, thx for the link.

Last edited by nypdblue12; 02-18-2012 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
I don't know anything about Compass Pointe, but I read this article last year about them.

Developer cited for Clean Water Act violations | Brunswick Today
Thanks for the article. It does not sound too serious, but it brings up the point that water drainage is an issue in the low-lying areas near the coast. If the OP's are looking at lots, they should avoid ones with low spots which collect water and breed mosquitoes.

The developers of Magnolia Greens and Waterford of the Carolinas have handled the drainage well, by creating scenic ponds, some with walking trails around them.

Leland and Southport are nice areas to live in, but one has to be aware of environmental issues. The OP's will also find they are not at all like New York. The retail, entertainment and cultural oportunities are limited. I would suggest the OP's also look at developments in the city of Wilmington, and New Hanover County also.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 AM

I am aware of the Cultural differences between New York and Wilmington. I'm willing to make the trade-off for wamer winter, lower taxes and pretty much all the same reasons the Northeasterners are looking to make the move As far as shopping goes, I believe the Mayfair shops are close by. Although the shops don't compare to New York, it's not a deal breaker. Btw, I live in a small town outside of New York City approximately 30 miles out. I work in New York City and will retire in two years. Magnolia and Waterford are also considerations. Again, I appreciate the comments and opinions.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypdblue12 View Post
I am aware of the Cultural differences between New York and Wilmington. I'm willing to make the trade-off for wamer winter, lower taxes and pretty much all the same reasons the Northeasterners are looking to make the move As far as shopping goes, I believe the Mayfair shops are close by. Although the shops don't compare to New York, it's not a deal breaker.
I moved to a lovely, peaceful small town in the area from Washington, DC. I regret somewhat that we did look more seriously at Wilmington itself (Landfall or Porter's Neck). Where I live has limited medical care, limited shopping, and and we have become bored with the restaurants. It's almost 40 miles into Wilmington, so I don't go very often.

At any rate, Mayfaire is about 20 miles from Leland. The biggest shopping opportunity in Leland is the Wal-Mart Super Center. Good luck with your visit.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM

149 posts, read 596,460 times
We chose a community in Leland for many of the same reasons you seem to express. The benefits are the proximity to Wilmington with its shopping, restraints, cultural opportunities, and medical care close by. Plus there is the added benefit of cheaper taxes in Brunswick county and less congestion than actually living in Wilmington. There are a number of communities in Leland each with their own positives and negatives. Off the top of my head I can think of Magnolia Greens, Waterford, Compass Pointe, Brunswick Forest, and Wedgewood. You should try and visit as many as you can and make up your own mind what is right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina